Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Old 03-17-2012, 02:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Got my MD built! Everything went together smooth had the chamfer the motor side of the upper deck a few mm for clearance but besides that no issues. On my street it feels pretty good although its hard to judge on the street. AFter i get this one dialed in im going to pick up the exotech and build another complete car, one for our short tracks and one for the high speed track!
I'm very interested to see how your MD goes. From what I've seen you look to run on lower grip out door tracks, which is what I'm running on. If it goes well I think I'll just have to order one
Old 03-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by wollow86
I'm very interested to see how your MD goes. From what I've seen you look to run on lower grip out door tracks, which is what I'm running on. If it goes well I think I'll just have to order one

I will have a little feedback tonight.

Yes it is on a 1/10 setup station.

LOOKS LIKE NOW WE KNOW WHY VETTEL WAS SOOOOO FAST LAST YEAR!!! GO HAMILTON

Mercedes was very impressive in qualifying, looks like Schumi and Rosberg will be able to fight this year!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I will have a little feedback tonight.

Yes it is on a 1/10 setup station.

LOOKS LIKE NOW WE KNOW WHY VETTEL WAS SOOOOO FAST LAST YEAR!!! GO HAMILTON

Mercedes was very impressive in qualifying, looks like Schumi and Rosberg will be able to fight this year!
Vettel certainly seems to like cars with ridiculous grip. Whenever it rains Mark is always faster. And now look, no blown diffuser and Mark is faster again... hmmm.

They mentioned during practice yesterday that the Mercedes was using an aero effect that allowed up to 25% of the exhaust gasses to flow downward towards the diffuser even with the minimum of 10 degree upward facing exhaust.

Biggest surprise was Roman Grosjean on p3.

As for the mclaren, I bet every other team must a face palmed when they saw the nose on it....
Old 03-17-2012, 05:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by wollow86
Vettel certainly seems to like cars with ridiculous grip. Whenever it rains Mark is always faster. And now look, no blown diffuser and Mark is faster again... hmmm.

They mentioned during practice yesterday that the Mercedes was using an aero effect that allowed up to 25% of the exhaust gasses to flow downward towards the diffuser even with the minimum of 10 degree upward facing exhaust.

Biggest surprise was Roman Grosjean on p3.

As for the mclaren, I bet every other team must a face palmed when they saw the nose on it....
ROFL, why would they do it any other way? kinda crazy. and YES where in the hell did Grosjean come from?? Impressive, i thought for sure it was going to be a Mercedes top four!

My prediction for tomorrow: Sebastian is going to quickly revert to his spoiled brat attitude and wreck somebody, we all know he is not good at passing or getting passed. Hamilton will dominate, Button and Rosberg will have a good battle with Shumi in the mix too! Roman is not going to be able to handle the race pace for too long.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Hey guys I have started a new mission to get my fgx as light as possible. I was wondering what you guys weigh and some of the tricks you have used to lighten it up. Interested an stock fgx numbers and all of the conversions. This is my current set up.

Current weight 1161

Fgx rabbit conversion
Novak edge esc
reedy sonic 21.5
Aluminium motor mount and bukkhead
aluminium f104 camber mount
crc shorty lipo
spectrum low profile servo
f104 body
All wiring as short as possible
Novak 30mm esc cooling fan for the motor
No extra weight added and the car is balanced.

I am hoping I can get to 1140 today after I switch the gear diff for a ball diff. Any other areas I may be able to save weight? Hoping to hit 1100
Old 03-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Hey guys I have started a new mission to get my fgx as light as possible. I was wondering what you guys weigh and some of the tricks you have used to lighten it up. Interested an stock fgx numbers and all of the conversions. This is my current set up.

Current weight 1161

Fgx rabbit conversion
Novak edge esc
reedy sonic 21.5
Aluminium motor mount and bukkhead
aluminium f104 camber mount
crc shorty lipo
spectrum low profile servo
f104 body
All wiring as short as possible
Novak 30mm esc cooling fan for the motor
No extra weight added and the car is balanced.

I am hoping I can get to 1140 today after I switch the gear diff for a ball diff. Any other areas I may be able to save weight? Hoping to hit 1100
I was thinking the same thing with my ride.Get rid of the fan unless you really need it.I was considering titanium ti-rods,stock ones are heavy and hard to adjust.Liter set of screws.Do you know if an aluminum set of Cvd axles are available?
Old 03-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xsracer
I was thinking the same thing with my ride.Get rid of the fan unless you really need it.I was considering titanium ti-rods,stock ones are heavy and hard to adjust.Liter set of screws.Do you know if an aluminum set of Cvd axles are available?
Its a low profile esc fan so it doesn't weigh much and it took the motor from 160 to 120. I know it is a couple of extra grams but the benefit outweighs the weight.

I'm definitely looking into the titanium. I think it will help a little. You're right the stock ones aren't very good. The only wrench that fits is pliers.

Im looking for aluminium axles. That should make a big difference.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

ROFL, why would they do it any other way? kinda crazy. and YES where in the hell did Grosjean come from?? Impressive, i thought for sure it was going to be a Mercedes top four!

My prediction for tomorrow: Sebastian is going to quickly revert to his spoiled brat attitude and wreck somebody, we all know he is not good at passing or getting passed. Hamilton will dominate, Button and Rosberg will have a good battle with Shumi in the mix too! Roman is not going to be able to handle the race pace for too long.
Don't forget Kimi...yeah he didn't do well in qualifying but he was quick in all the practices and given his team mate's pace as a rookie that Lotus is working pretty darn good...I would agree pretty much with your assessment but add that we should see Kimi battle his way up to the top 5 or 6.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Champion

Well I just placed the order for my FGX and a couple for my local racers Really looking forward to getting the car. I already have an Exotek chassis and shorty battery waiting for it
Old 03-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

So , if i'm in the market for an aftermarket chassis , why would I choose one chassis over another - Exotek / McKune ?
Old 03-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fleetmaster
So , if i'm in the market for an aftermarket chassis , why would I choose one chassis over another - Exotek / McKune ?
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. McKune does have the advantage of the top deck being a direct replacement for the stock assembly.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Both chassis are quality and you really can't go wrong with either. I chose the Exotek due to its battery mounting options. In one of their pics they show a shorty pack mounted cross wise in the chassis with the servo flat on the chassis and to me that looks like the best configuration. I couldn't tell you how it runs yet though as I am still waiting for my car kit so I can build it
Old 03-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Today my MD FGX twins ran a documented 285 laps. Undocumented over 400. Good Lord am I tired. Zero broken parts, zero traction rolls, zero overheating and the only minor dings came from trying to straighten out a couple of corners.

How did I get here? Well first with the help of Joe, Ian and CD, we tuned the motor on car 1 by ear. What's that you say? To them the motor just sounded like it was still overgeared. During the first run I changed gears until the Z3-R sounded like it was maxing out on revs and wasn't sounding or feeling like it still pulling hard at the end of the straight. I ended up at a 35/22. Yes, that is not a typo. Then we ran it for 10 minutes and temp was 105*. So we added 10* of timing and ran it for another 10 minutes, temp was now around or under 118*. So I set up the second car with the same gearing and ran it for 10 minutes, checked temp, charged and then added timing. Car 2 ran for 18 minutes, and temp was 118*. I put in a 41/25 spur and pinion in car 2 as I didn't have another 22 pinion and the ratio was comparable. Those guys were right on the money with their call. Next change, rear springs on car 1. I put on the stiffest set, adjusted ride height to 6mm and droop to 2mm. Then went and ran 20 minutes only pulling 2700 mah out of a 3800 shorty. Car 2 was already set with the stiff springs and only needed a ride height adjustment, so now they were exactly the same. And then a couple more really long runs occurred. Ian and CD were able to run comparable lap times over the various runs and were very consistent when they took a test drive. Each change showed more promise. My best lap was 8.8 seconds, my average was around 9.1. Their best times were 8.6 and under and averaged around 8.8.

What a treat. I have never run so much in one day in my life.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

Well as my car is on it's way I better ask...what's the preferred tire for hot asphalt?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Both chassis are quality and you really can't go wrong with either. I chose the Exotek due to its battery mounting options. In one of their pics they show a shorty pack mounted cross wise in the chassis with the servo flat on the chassis
I bit the bullet, and ordered the EFX for my second car. I like the items mentioned above, plus the lower arm brace for the front. I will order the McKune carbon uppers when they are released too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.