R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #1576
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default UF1 Series

The final race of the 2012 UF1 Winter series this Saturday at TQ in Chino California...
Doors open at 10AM
Qualifying starts at noon...
Free UF1 Shirt when you register, quantity and sizes are limited, first come first serve... two styles available....

http://uf1series.com/
Old 02-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #1577
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Mckune View Post
How are you getting the 2* antisquat?

Troy
you can only do it with the optional aluminum gearbox set and you have to do some grinding to clear the transmission gear on the passenger side. The front arm mounts are seperate and actually made to be adjusted! WE have a sweeper that goes into a VERY long straight (check that vid i posted!) since adding antisquat i am able to be full throttle almost through the entire turn and pass the 104's before 1/4 straight!! pisses them off

Did some testing today on a partially wet track and the car was unreal!Felt better today than it did sunday on a prepped track! I added 2mm to the ackerman, went to lighter front grease and last but not least got rid of those damn aluminum knuckles!! car went straight as an arrow!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #1578
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
you can only do it with the optional aluminum gearbox set and you have to do some grinding to clear the transmission gear on the passenger side. The front arm mounts are seperate and actually made to be adjusted! WE have a sweeper that goes into a VERY long straight (check that vid i posted!) since adding antisquat i am able to be full throttle almost through the entire turn and pass the 104's before 1/4 straight!! pisses them off

Did some testing today on a partially wet track and the car was unreal!Felt better today than it did sunday on a prepped track! I added 2mm to the ackerman, went to lighter front grease and last but not least got rid of those damn aluminum knuckles!! car went straight as an arrow!

That's some great info!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #1579
Tech Champion

Putting the smack down on a 104!!
I was the only FGX in the A!

And my 6yr old wheelin!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mantiswo.../0/bt4rwwqTjSE

Last edited by MantisWorx; 02-16-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #1580
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064
Default My Layout Idea: Chassis 2

This took 1, count that, 1 extra hole and some aftermarket servo mounts.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #1581
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post

This took 1, count that, 1 extra hole and some aftermarket servo mounts.

what is the advantage to this? I would rather have that heavy battery inline, unless there is something i am missing!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #1582
Tech Champion

I thought it might bias the weight toward the front a little better for better front to back balance. If it doesn't work, back to stock it goes. I didn't think it would impact performance as it does keep the mass generally centered and my F103 with a shorty mounted similarly is on rails. It does give a lot more space for electronics and easier access to the balancing port on the battery if needed. Again, its just a test and this experiment might completely throw the chassis out of whack.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #1583
Tech Adept

Hi all,

I ordered me a FGX 2 days ago. Now I wonder which motor will be best. Will a 13.5T brussless motor provide enough power to compete on a F104 with 17.5T?

regards
Stefan
Oortael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #1584
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Skunk Works FGX

Prototype Rev 4.1

Had an OH DUH moment. I broke the front nose on Sunday. I was trying to buy another and realized I had to buy the entire top deck assembly to get it. This led to me realizing that I can add a separate replaceable front carbon nose and attach it with the stiffener plate. This eliminates the need for the front machined nose mount part. Which because of its multiple setups and tapping was a much more expensive part. I raised the height of the wing a couple of mm for more clearance but it can be easily lowered with spacers.

Testing went very well tonight with my fastest lap in qualifying since I started. We run 3 minute quals with fastest lap determining your qualifying. I turned a 14.6 in both Q1 and Q2. Between rounds I did an experiment and added more front camber and sauced the entire front. The car became very on edge, very hard to drive, and fast as hell. I was able to run some 14.4s and one 14.294. The fastest Formula 1 lap every turned on this track at Timezone. Our class is becoming more like real F1 as we are leaning toward on edge qualifying setups and more stable drivable 10 minute main setups. Very cool. Now we just need to add a Q3 for the top 6 or so cars with a reset and we can all geek out.

Getting closer.

Troy
Attached Thumbnails
3 racing new F1-md-fgx-rev-4-3.jpg   3 racing new F1-md-fgx-rev-4-2.jpg   3 racing new F1-md-fgx-rev-4-1.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #1585
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
I thought it might bias the weight toward the front a little better for better front to back balance. If it doesn't work, back to stock it goes. I didn't think it would impact performance as it does keep the mass generally centered and my F103 with a shorty mounted similarly is on rails. It does give a lot more space for electronics and easier access to the balancing port on the battery if needed. Again, its just a test and this experiment might completely throw the chassis out of whack.

Gotcha! just making sure i didnt miss something!

Troy, we ran a 15min main with pit stop on sunday and it was awesome! I chose not to sauce or even clean my tires so my car would get better during the run and it worked. I was a little slow in the beginning but fast enough to stay in front for the first 4min. Pit lane opened up at 5min and that was about the time the P2's104 was getting really quick, he pitted first and put down a super quick lap that put him in front of me by .5second after my pit. I kept pressure on him and about 11min into the race the paragon started to wear off of the 104 and I commenced to running my fastest laps! I ended up winning by a lap! IT was a 36lap main!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #1586
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Prototype Rev 4.1

Had an OH DUH moment. I broke the front nose on Sunday. I was trying to buy another and realized I had to buy the entire top deck assembly to get it. This led to me realizing that I can add a separate replaceable front carbon nose and attach it with the stiffener plate. This eliminates the need for the front machined nose mount part. Which because of its multiple setups and tapping was a much more expensive part. I raised the height of the wing a couple of mm for more clearance but it can be easily lowered with spacers.

Testing went very well tonight with my fastest lap in qualifying since I started. We run 3 minute quals with fastest lap determining your qualifying. I turned a 14.6 in both Q1 and Q2. Between rounds I did an experiment and added more front camber and sauced the entire front. The car became very on edge, very hard to drive, and fast as hell. I was able to run some 14.4s and one 14.294. The fastest Formula 1 lap every turned on this track at Timezone. Our class is becoming more like real F1 as we are leaning toward on edge qualifying setups and more stable drivable 10 minute main setups. Very cool. Now we just need to add a Q3 for the top 6 or so cars with a reset and we can all geek out.

Getting closer.

Troy
I like the looks of this version better. Looks right. Simpler.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #1587
Tech Champion

Quote:
Prototype Rev 4.1

Getting closer.

Troy
Mount the nose piece to a heavy duty servo saver? It's a thought.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #1588
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oortael View Post
Hi all,

I ordered me a FGX 2 days ago. Now I wonder which motor will be best. Will a 13.5T brussless motor provide enough power to compete on a F104 with 17.5T?

regards
Stefan

if you are not motor regulated i strongly suggest 17.5 with boost!
Old 02-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #1589
Tech Fanatic

Troy, that Prototype Rev 4.1 is beautiful!!

When will it be on your website, and how much? I guarantee you will sell out of this kit!
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #1590
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks for the info on that aluminum gearbox set!!

I was wondering if some antisquat would help with the on-power steering but it's not adjustable on the plastic version.
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote