R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #1531
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
Great day for the FGX today! TQ and win!
decided i didnt like the upper deck brace that i was testing. Our track is med grip asphalt so i needed the flex for front grip. I did machine some bushings that got rid of at least 50% of the front slop. I also made some major rear camber link changes. The lower rear arms are at and extreme angle and the upper is level, this makes for an awkward rollcenter.

Hey MantisWorx, where are you guys racing?? City, state?
hkbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #1532
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Houston TX. The class is blowing up, we should have 15-20 at the next race!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #1533
Tech Fanatic

I think I need to move to Houston! There is no interest in F1 where I live in upstate New York
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #1534
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Got a sneak peak at the Exotek FGX package Sunday at Camarillo... I'm so happy Mike kept the scale integrity of the car while improving on it... by the way, FGX took top 3 positions out of a 12 car main...
Old 02-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #1535
Tech Apprentice

Just have to thank everyone! Tried with F201 Gold springs, and what an epic ride. First time ever I had to put more weight in the front of a car Too bad I broke a kingpin and that freaking arm!
Bought the wing stiffener, nose weight and some other cheasy stuff. Giggled over the Carbon wing! I have to get myself one of those
Thomaseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #1536
Tech Champion

cool little vid of my Redbull from the race yesterday, its a big track so its hard to get closeups but neat none the less!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt4rwwqTjSE
Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #1537
Tech Adept

Quote:
cool little vid of my Redbull from the race yesterday, its a big track so its hard to get closeups but neat none the less!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt4rwwqTjSE
This is a great video, especially the sound effects that comes with it!! Are all the cars on the Track FGX?

Lookin right now for an F1. Not decided yet, the F104w or the 3racing FGX? The F1 has to be finished for the outdoor season!!

Having read this thread. It's not crystal clear to me about the mentioned issues in this thread. Maybe I'm totally wrong but imo the main issues are the steering and motor fitting issues. Are these issues been solved with an upgraded version of the FGX???

Still lookin.......
http://jdskyline.blogspot.nl
JD Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #1538
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Skyline View Post
This is a great video, especially the sound effects that comes with it!! Are all the cars on the Track FGX?

Lookin right now for an F1. Not decided yet, the F104w or the 3racing FGX? The F1 has to be finished for the outdoor season!!

Having read this thread. It's not crystal clear to me about the mentioned issues in this thread. Maybe I'm totally wrong but imo the main issues are the steering and motor fitting issues. Are these issues been solved with an upgraded version of the FGX???
Most of them are FGX's three are 104's. Motor fitting issue is not that big of a deal. just need to do some dremel work and move the battery post. I never remove my battery so im not concerned about the battery door. My biggest grip is the front end slop, I managed to get most of it out but still needs more shimming. Also on asphalt outdoors the only thing we are breaking is kingpins, nobody has broken any arms and only one topdeck failure and he hit the wall HARD!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #1539
Tech Adept

Quote:
Most of them are FGX's three are 104's. Motor fitting issue is not that big of a deal. just need to do some dremel work and move the battery post. I never remove my battery so im not concerned about the battery door. My biggest grip is the front end slop, I managed to get most of it out but still needs more shimming. Also on asphalt outdoors the only thing we are breaking is kingpins, nobody has broken any arms and only one topdeck failure and he hit the wall HARD!
So that are issues one is able to fix! Nothing noted about the steering?? Or will the 3racing alu steering system do the tric? Thanx for the reply!!

On the other hand, almost every FGX driver in this thread, is very enthousiastic about the car!! That a big plus for the car!!

Still lookin.......
Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #1540
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Skyline View Post
So that are issues one is able to fix! Nothing noted about the steering?? Or will the 3racing alu steering system do the tric? Thanx for the reply!!

On the other hand, almost every FGX driver in this thread, is very enthousiastic about the car!! That a big plus for the car!!
I havent had any issues with the stock steering setup besides the turnbuckles sucking!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #1541
Tech Elite

The FGX is a great car, we have 16 of them sold and on our track over the last couple months. do the front link conversion and that will help dial in the handeling and also toughen the front up a bit. the lower arms even version 2 can benefit from some carbon rod and shoe goo too add a bit of strenght to the trailing arm. We seem to have made good progress in getting the cars to really rotate with the ackerman shiming forward and I really like the optional steering system with more shims to bring the pivot balls forward by 3mm.

Also with the link conversion you have the ability to adjust the castor without effecting the wheel base. We are running approx 2 degrees which has made my car really good, and some reactive castor is helping take some camber gain away at the off throtle turn in.

Just need to move to a front steering block that has something bigger than a 5x8mm front bearing. There is no way that little bearing can handle the lateral load, and taps on the wall. not to mention the I.D./OD fit of the axle. I did some Mods this weekend with a Touring Car Steering Block using 5x10mm bearings, it was great but there are some clearance issues. Think it is the Tamiya F-104 Steering Blocks which also have 5x10x3mm bearings....I will have then on my car by this weekend.....

I am super happy with the car I must have 60 packs through mine, and for the cost it is amazing... even with the hop ups and mods it is still more affordable than most any other F-1, and it seemed to be onpace with a very fast F-104 last weekend at our track.
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #1542
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Houston TX. The class is blowing up, we should have 15-20 at the next race!

Glad F1 has taken off there finally. I think you were just ahead of your time in 2010

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #1543
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Glad F1 has taken off there finally. I think you were just ahead of your time in 2010
Funny how things change! You remember that huh? BTW your SC10 chassis rocks! Hit me up on the FGX chassis, I have no intentions on making my own anymore, too many other projects on the burner!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #1544
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Last edited by wwddww34; 02-14-2012 at 02:09 PM.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #1545
Tech Adept

Quote:
I havent had any issues with the stock steering setup besides the turnbuckles sucking!
Thats good news thanx again !! I definitely have a serious look at the FGX!!

Still lookin.......