R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #1516
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Mckune View Post
I will have a full report after Sunday's Race at TZ. I installed the 3racing aftermarket aluminum steering which has posed some issues. The linkage arm is shorter and it did not work with my original top deck. A couple of mods later and then some additional dremel work at the track and I got it working good with full throw. I am making some changes and will machine new parts tomorrow morning for Sunday's race.
Looking forward to seeing it!
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #1517
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Front camber

How are you guys getting 2* front camber. With the 1* block, 3* caster and the stock arms I get 4*. No wonder the car pushes.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #1518
Tech Elite

That is the main reason we have changed to the Link front end adjustable Camber, and also tha ability to easily adjust Castor without effecting the wheel base... my car has gotten much better as we have taken castor away. and Neg 1.25 on front camber.....
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #1519
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thread too quiet tonight.
I think you know who is up to something.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #1520
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Great day for the FGX today! TQ and win!
decided i didnt like the upper deck brace that i was testing. Our track is med grip asphalt so i needed the flex for front grip. I did machine some bushings that got rid of at least 50% of the front slop. I also made some major rear camber link changes. The lower rear arms are at and extreme angle and the upper is level, this makes for an awkward rollcenter.

MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #1521
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
I did machine some bushings that got rid of at least 50% of the front slop
can you make some extra and bring em next weekend?
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
Old 02-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #1522
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Skunk Works FGX

Prototype Rev 4.0

Changes:
Design and Machined new narrower chassis. Reduced width by 5mm per side. Electronics can still be mounted flat. it is basically the stock width but does not cut in like stock.

Design and machined new top deck with clearance for either stock or aftermarket aluminum steering rack. Machined new optional stiffener plate which raises upper front arms to stock height and allows you to adjust front flex.

New FR4/G10 composite front nose mount. The production version will be black.

Report:

I Machined the new parts Saturday. I showed up at the track this morning with my car and a bunch of new parts. I spent the next two hours taking everything apart and reassembly with the new chassis, top deck, and front stiffener plate. I finally got it on the track for a few laps around 10:00 am. Qualifying started at 10:15am. The car was good right off but I only got a few laps in.

Qualifying went well with my fastest lap being a 14.732 to Mark's 14.695. This was my fastest lap in competition yet. I ended up qualifying second. I kept making changes throughout the morning as traction came up and the car got tippy. I played around with front chassis flex, and front and rear camber. The new upper front stiffener I made allows you to change the front flex from softer to stiff. Not running it is the softest. When you run it you can install the rear screw for the stiffest setting. By main time I got the car working really good.

The first main was going well until a bearing exploded and my front wheel went flying. The second main was very good and Mark and I battled for half of it until he tapped and I got the lead. A couple of laps later his wheel came off and I went on to win. The third main my car was great and I got the lead a few minutes in and never looked back. The two wins gave me the overall for the day and the best performance I have seen from my car.

Conclusion:

I AM DONE! Well almost done. I am completely happy with the design now. I now have to clean up the solid models and assemblies, make exploded views and instructions, finish sourcing screws, spacers, and standoffs, and start machining. I am sticking to the 2/27/12 date.

I will have pricing and more info soon.

Troy
Attached Thumbnails
3 racing new F1-md-fgx-r4-pic1.jpg   3 racing new F1-md-fgx-r4-pic2.jpg  

Last edited by Troy Mckune; 02-13-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Troy Mckune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:09 AM   #1523
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mkennedy

Congrats!! its pretty awesome watcing your progress through the R&D process!!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #1524
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
Congrats!! its pretty awesome watcing your progress through the R&D process!!
+1
This is an awesome conversion. I can not wait to get my hands on it. This will get my FGX back on the track for racing and not just playing. Your going to sell am million of them.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #1525
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have a few questions so please be patient.

Im slightly concerned with the build. Ive finished the car. With many hop ups . Firstly is the front wheel bearing movement. How much is too much? I am running the option front alloy hubs, it seems as though there is excessive play.

Another thing is the movement in the alloy steering system. I feel like the counter sunk 2mm screws should be shimmed up for less movement, as they seem to have both (up and down) and (side to side) slop.

I have fitted a hobbywing 13t mini motor and i am running a 26t pinion, but it was a very tight fit as it hits on the top deck pole on the back of the motor. Have others had this problem? Any type of fix?

Lastly what tyre brands are of there? peoples preference?

Cheers for the help josh
http://aracersthought.blogspot.com.au/
Supa_18's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:06 AM   #1526
Tech Master

Im slightly concerned with the build. Ive finished the car. With many hop ups . Firstly is the front wheel bearing movement. How much is too much? I am running the option front alloy hubs, it seems as though there is excessive play.
Yes there is alot of play. 3racing have a new axle coming soon (according to their site) hopefully that will fix it

Another thing is the movement in the alloy steering system. I feel like the counter sunk 2mm screws should be shimmed up for less movement, as they seem to have both (up and down) and (side to side) slop.
I dont have the alloy steering, but try shimming see if it helps. Have not heard an issue there yet. But havent heard many having the alloy set

I have fitted a hobbywing 13t mini motor and i am running a 26t pinion, but it was a very tight fit as it hits on the top deck pole on the back of the motor. Have others had this problem? Any type of fix?
yes, we all have had the problem. Dremel.

Lastly what tyre brands are of there? peoples preference?
Ride, HPI and Pit Shimizu. FGX accepts the HPI F Ten wheels, so they can share the same tires as well. I have only run the Pit Shimizu Grooved tires, soft rear, medium front, they work very well.

Cheers for the help josh[/QUOTE]
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #1527
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastc View Post
can you make some extra and bring em next weekend?
Unfortunately i cant make it. My wife is an RN and works weekend nights and i have two kids. The problem is that she leaves for work at 6p which means that i have to be home before she leaves.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #1528
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Prototype Rev 4.0

Changes:
Design and Machined new narrower chassis. Reduced width by 5mm per side. Electronics can still be mounted flat. it is basically the stock width but does not cut in like stock.

Design and machined new top deck with clearance for either stock or aftermarket aluminum steering rack. Machined new optional stiffener plate which raises upper front arms to stock height and allows you to adjust front flex.

Report:

I Machined the new parts Saturday. I showed up at the track this morning with my car and a bunch of new parts. I spent the next two hours taking everything apart and reassembly with the new chassis, top deck, and front stiffener plate. I finally got it on the track for a few laps around 10:00 am. Qualifying started at 10:15am. The car was good right off but I only got a few laps in.

Qualifying went well with my fastest lap being a 14.732 to Mark's 14.695. This was my fastest lap in competition yet. I ended up qualifying second. I kept making changes throughout the morning as traction came up and the car got tippy. I played around with front chassis flex, and front and rear camber. The new upper front stiffener I made allows you to change the front flex from softer to stiff. Not running it is the softest. When you run it you can install the rear screw for the stiffest setting. By main time I got the car working really good.

The first main was going well until a bearing exploded and my front wheel went flying. The second main was very good and Mark and I battled for half of it until he tapped and I got the lead. A couple of laps later his wheel came off and I went on to win. The third main my car was great and I got the lead a few minutes in and never looked back. The two wins gave me the overall for the day and the best performance I have seen from my car.

Conclusion:

I AM DONE! Well almost done. I am completely happy with the design now. I now have to clean up the solid models and assemblies, make exploded views and instructions, finish sourcing screws, spacers, and standoffs, and start machining. I am sticking to the 2/27/12 date.

Troy
This looks great! Thanks for all your hard work and development.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #1529
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
Unfortunately i cant make it. My wife is an RN and works weekend nights and i have two kids. The problem is that she leaves for work at 6p which means that i have to be home before she leaves.
Same boat. Wife RN, gets home from work when I go to work, leaves when I get in.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
Old 02-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #1530
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Prototype Rev 4.0

Changes:

Report:

Conclusion:

Troy
+1000 fantastic work, so great to see your work, cant wait to get hands on it