R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-08-2005, 12:19 PM   #91
Tech Fanatic

In defense of my tire selling brethren, no brand should chunk more than any other. TRC, Parma , and JACO are all prone to chunking....when you wreck. As long as the tire stays glued to the rim, the manufacturer has done his job. As far as rim breakage, there are a number of factors that contribute to this. The biggest is the plastic itself. We just decreased the composite content in our wheel to cut down on breakage. Temperature and humidity also influence the strength of the wheel. The colder and drier it is, the easier the rim breaks. Rim design also plays a part. And how hard and where the impact occurs. Let's face it, the wheels stick out and, besides the body, take the most abuse. As cars get faster, we must make wheels that are strong enough to keep performance on par with technology, yet don't break easily. This is almost an impossible line to walk. But we try.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:29 PM   #92
Regional Moderator
Send a message via AIM to UnderDaHill

Good points. I was not taking into consideration the temperature and how it relates. I was running the TRC tire during the summer and switched to the Parma in the fall. Our track temperature (although indoors) is probably 10-20f colder during the winter months.

Anyways... I've been very happy with the performance of my Parma tires. I just feel like the TRC nylon rims hold up a bit better.
UnderDaHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:38 PM   #93
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

WOW, a lot of talk about rim breakage. I've run EVERY brand of tire available, and I've only broken one brand, which I'm not going to mention. I run Parma exclusively now. I've found them to be more consistent (shore rating and on-track performance), from batch to batch, and I've found them to be every bit as durable as ANY other brand. They are also exceptionally competitive. Virtually everyone at our local track has switched over. Jaco has the race results, (they also have the BEST pool of Factory Drivers), but I lose nothing on Track to the TRC, Jaco, or BSR guys. Plus they have the best looking 12th scale wheel on the market.
Team CRC, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote