R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   smoking motor question =( (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/51012-smoking-motor-question-%3D.html)

mmatic 09-22-2004 09:01 PM

smoking motor question =(

I have a stock electric TC3 RTR with a 3000pack and something strange happened today. The car was kind of hesitating when accelerating and when I stopped running the motor was smoking.....smoke is never a good thing i am sure. I havent pulled the motor out yet and looked at the brushes or anything.

EddieO 09-22-2004 09:19 PM

Its possibly you were overgeared, which is usually the #1 cause for frying a motor.....though it could of been other things.

Later EddieO

Chill Will 09-22-2004 09:43 PM

Sounds like it's time for a new motor. :nod:

minijosh 09-22-2004 09:54 PM

I was racing my TA04-SS once with all stock gearing and a hot 27 turn stock motor one time. I slowly pulled up to the starting line and then we heard a loud pop sound and saw smoke come out. I blew the diodes somehow that were on the motor. There were 2 small ones and a large one. That large one was toast but it looked oh so cool. Like I had a nitro car on a indoor track. DOH! How was your pinion/spur mesh? Might have been too tight and put a huge strain on the motor. That would kill it.

Wency_TA03R-PRO 09-23-2004 02:30 AM

Originally posted by EddieO
Its possibly you were overgeared, which is usually the #1 cause for frying a motor.....though it could of been other things.

Later EddieO

one of the reason!..

Sounds like it's time for a new motor.
:nod: :cool:

KREATOR1 09-23-2004 03:32 AM

maybe something inside your motor. have a service and look.

mmatic 09-23-2004 04:46 AM

well the gearing is the set up that the car came with the factory, and the gear mesh was the same also and it never felt like it was binding. and it really does feel like there is no resistance on the motor now when turning it over....sounds terminal to me. just wish I knew why it did this. can a hung/stuck brush cause this also? thank you all who reply.

rctoyguy 09-23-2004 09:53 AM

Been there - done that... (twice in one race day, actually).

My problem appears to have been a bad bearing or two. After replacing the bearings, and keeping them cleaned, I have not cooked another motor running the same gearing I was running originally. I still have CRAZY hot motors, but I haven't cooked another one ----- yet.:D

Now I have jinxed myself, and I will probably waste 1 Saturday.

BTW - hidden bearings are important too... Don't just think of the wheel bearings. (I am not familiar with where all the bearings are on the TC3) The worst bearing I had was on the pulley for the belt tension on my Losi.

RandyB 09-23-2004 10:23 AM

in the words of NWA throw it in da gutta and go buy anutta

dr_hfuhuhurr 09-23-2004 10:25 AM

Don't smoke motors...it's not good for your health.

RandyB 09-23-2004 10:28 AM

Originally posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Don't smoke motors...it's not good for your health.

lol:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mmatic 09-23-2004 08:16 PM

thanks to all who responded, I that the motor was toasted, but had been running nitro cars for years now and just got back into the electric scene. Maybe see you ohio boys on the track sometime.

KREATOR1 09-23-2004 08:33 PM

dont throw the the amature dude, its a waste of comm!!:(