Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss >

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Old 06-30-2008, 03:08 PM
The Evicerator

I've never worn any crocs myself... so I don't have enough first hand experience to say one way or ther other... but somehow a family wearing crocs seems more appealing than a family full of birkenstocks

Originally Posted by Frank McKinney
Hey Steve!

Now for some serious questions: Crocs or Birkenstocks?

I prefer Birks myself for their OG appeal, but a family of 5 with matching Crocs just looks SO...appealing. What's your preference?
Old 06-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

When can we expect an EX 17.5 motor?
Old 06-30-2008, 03:35 PM
The Evicerator

I haven't heard any talk about offering an EX 17.5 ...

Really the only major difference is in the rotor between the EX and the Pro lines.

And no one that I know prefers the bonded rotor over the sintered rotors.

Why exactly would you be interested in an EX 17.5?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
He did well at Bending Corners Raceway too!
It's that private Jet that Bob lets his employees use to get from event to event. Between Steve in Germany and Bending Corners, and Charlie at the Rock Crawler event, they must have stacked up a big fuel bill.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Steve, Is it true to say the 17.5 has a black timing ring and the 13.5 has a orange timing ring ? Is there any circumstance where a 17.5 could have a orange timing ring ?

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:25 PM
The Evicerator

Heavy,

The 17.5 pro's have had black timing rings just until recently. The latest production batches should now have YELLOW timing rings to signify that they are 17.5s.

13.5's should be easily denoted with the ORANGE timing ring.

Under no circumstance should a 17.5 have an orange ring.

Originally Posted by heavy
Steve, Is it true to say the 17.5 has a black timing ring and the 13.5 has a orange timing ring ? Is there any circumstance where a 17.5 could have a orange timing ring ?

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Thanks Steve
Old 07-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Steve Thanks to you and Charlie for taking care of the warranty on one of our esc's . Have been way to busy with work and going to Chicago to see Toni graduate from basic to write a proper Thank-You. Hope to see both of you at the Snowbirds again this year. Lynn and Tony Munno

Toni will be in Calif. for the next year, you guys may hear from her.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Steve,

Novak GTB in a 2wd off-road buggy, 6 cell nimh battery, novak 8.5 ss pro motor.

Speed control pulsates the throttle untill the speed control codes out and stops responding. The error code is blue solid, amber solid, green and red blinking alternately. Any idea on what is the problem?

Thanks, Mark.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hi Steve,

This is my first venture into a brushless system. I just finished putting together a ZX-5 4wd buggy with a GTB SS esc, Velociti 7.5R with a 21t pinion, Orion 3600 Lipo's and is all controlled with a 3PK and a FASST system. Everything aside from the Tx & Rx are brand new and I seem to have ran into a problem with the esc/motor.

The motor only works intermittently. I did the one-touch setup on the esc (program 1 with LiPo cutoff activated) many times and am still having problems. When it runs, it runs great. However, about half the time, when the buggy comes to a stop, it won't start up again. If you lightly push it forward, it will go again - almost like something is binding up. The driveline is completely bind-free and the mesh was set using a piece of paper.

There's no regularly appearing error codes, although a few times the blue and green lights were blinking indicating a possible locked rotor. Could there be a problem with the sensor? ESC? Could my Tx not be setup correctly?

I was hoping to run it this Sunday at OC/RC. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:49 PM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by tmunno
Steve Thanks to you and Charlie for taking care of the warranty on one of our esc's . Have been way to busy with work and going to Chicago to see Toni graduate from basic to write a proper Thank-You. Hope to see both of you at the Snowbirds again this year. Lynn and Tony Munno

Toni will be in Calif. for the next year, you guys may hear from her.

No problem! We are always glad to help! Hope to see you sometime at the races!

Originally Posted by RCHR
Hey Steve,

Novak GTB in a 2wd off-road buggy, 6 cell nimh battery, novak 8.5 ss pro motor.

Speed control pulsates the throttle untill the speed control codes out and stops responding. The error code is blue solid, amber solid, green and red blinking alternately. Any idea on what is the problem?

Thanks, Mark.
I think I PM'd you about this already... check to make sure that the lipo cut off is not on!

Originally Posted by Oakley
Hi Steve,

This is my first venture into a brushless system. I just finished putting together a ZX-5 4wd buggy with a GTB SS esc, Velociti 7.5R with a 21t pinion, Orion 3600 Lipo's and is all controlled with a 3PK and a FASST system. Everything aside from the Tx & Rx are brand new and I seem to have ran into a problem with the esc/motor.

The motor only works intermittently. I did the one-touch setup on the esc (program 1 with LiPo cutoff activated) many times and am still having problems. When it runs, it runs great. However, about half the time, when the buggy comes to a stop, it won't start up again. If you lightly push it forward, it will go again - almost like something is binding up. The driveline is completely bind-free and the mesh was set using a piece of paper.

There's no regularly appearing error codes, although a few times the blue and green lights were blinking indicating a possible locked rotor. Could there be a problem with the sensor? ESC? Could my Tx not be setup correctly?

I was hoping to run it this Sunday at OC/RC. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Are you using lipo or nimh cells with your system...? Are the ESC and motor hot after they run...? It's possible you might have some damage to one or the other... but it's hard to say without looking at it.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've been experimenting with drag and push brakes on my GTB. What I'm noticing is that the same numerical setting of drag brake and min (push) brake feels very different on the track. Say I have a drag brake setting of 5. This feels fairly soft / smooth on the track. Then I change settings to drag brakes off and min brake 5. I adjust the transmitter subtrim to where I have min brake with the trigger at neutral. This feels a lot harder. On the track, the car might be unstable when I use this amount of brake at high speed, whereas the car is planted, and decellerates a lot more gradually, with the same amount of drag brake at the same speed.

Is what I'm seeing normal, or do I perhaps have a bad GTB? I have a nearly-new spread-spectrum-optimized GTB. Cheers,

--mark
Old 07-10-2008, 09:38 AM
The Evicerator

Hi Mark,

I went and spoke with one of the engineers about your observations and it definately seems strange to both of us.

The table in the software that determines the drag brake and the minimum brake is the same... so the same percentages and same brake frequencies should be used regardless if it is "drag brake" or "minimum brake"

He thought that maybe because of the way that your ESC's nuetral point has been moved forward it might give the feeling of stronger brakes because you actually go through a dead band which isn't powering the motor or braking it.

Regardless, if you want to send your ESC in to me with a note referencing this problem we can check it out and I can make sure that it has the latest software installed.

Originally Posted by MarkBrown
I've been experimenting with drag and push brakes on my GTB. What I'm noticing is that the same numerical setting of drag brake and min (push) brake feels very different on the track. Say I have a drag brake setting of 5. This feels fairly soft / smooth on the track. Then I change settings to drag brakes off and min brake 5. I adjust the transmitter subtrim to where I have min brake with the trigger at neutral. This feels a lot harder. On the track, the car might be unstable when I use this amount of brake at high speed, whereas the car is planted, and decellerates a lot more gradually, with the same amount of drag brake at the same speed.

Is what I'm seeing normal, or do I perhaps have a bad GTB? I have a nearly-new spread-spectrum-optimized GTB. Cheers,

--mark
Old 07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Steve, got a question about the Sentry, I know the software is only mentioned as compatible with Windows XP & Vista, but has it been tried with any others, like Windows 2000? Reason I ask is becuase my laptop has Win2000, & while I believe I can upgrade it to XP, I'd prefer not to(given how much of a resource hog XP & especially Vista can be). Also, about mounting the Sentry in a car, am I right in thinking that the the "X" & its arrow(the markings on the casing denoting the accelerometers I mean) should point straight forward? Appreciate any help you can give...
Old 07-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

XP isnt much of a resource hog in truth. Vista is lol. 512ram can run respectable on XP but HORRID on vista. Regardless, i guess XP and vista > 2000 as far as resources go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.