Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 04:46 PM
The Evicerator

March,

You are correct for the most part.

The timing helps move the power band around...generally if you turn the timing up significantly you have to gear down to take advantage of the higher RPM because the torque will be reduced to a point that it will not efficiently carry the load of a larger gear.

Originally Posted by march to my own
Hello Steve,

When I advance the timing on my 13.5 am I essentially just moving the torque curve around.

For instance If the timing is advanced the motor will run faster but will have to be geared down correct?

Is advancing the timing give me and advantage?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

Steve-

When do you think the new software for GTB will be released with regards to the auto timing advance. It sure seems like Josh and Mike like the feature. Has it changed since Cleveland?
Old 01-10-2008, 02:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi Steve

Would you guys possibly have information (re: wire guages and number of strands for each BL motor) posted somewhere? if not, kindly post them here? I rewound my 3.5r since I can't drive a car with it. My rewound motor is doing fine using #18awg wire but the winding is sloppy. I'm planning to re-do it sometime. I would like to pattern it after your "official" specs if possible.

thanks

Old 01-10-2008, 03:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Steve:

Is it safe to drive a car with a novak 4.5r and a gtb that doesnt have built in li-po cuttoff, and just drive it till when you pull the trigger on all the way you notice got not much power and then pull it in for a charge.

I am running li-po's and it seems to be all fine then just dump real fast all of a sudden, (like its hard to tell that its slowing, until bam !!!!)

so when it dumps can i just nurse the car in at slow speed.

or can letting it go until you notice it dump on a li-po can be bad for the pack?
Old 01-10-2008, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

thanks Steve. you are spot on. the RX wiring was the wrong way around.

with prompt responses like this .. it's 1 of the primary reasons i got a 3rd novak speedo.

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
wyl,

Well it sounds like you might have two problems... let me address the first one:

When doing the one touch setup, you have the start right:

Hold down the button, turn the ESC on and when the red LED comes on let go of the button and pull full throttle.

But where you have it wrong is when the green LED comes on... at this poing you go to full brake, not to neutral!

Once the trigger is at full brake the green LED should blink, THEN you return the trigger to neutral!

Now, in regards to the issue where when you turn the ESC on and you see a green and red LED on solid, this means that the ESC is not getting signal... check to make sure your transmitter is on and working properly, and double check your input harness to make sure that it is oriented correctly on both the ESC and in the receiver!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Steve, what is your opinion of the Hollywood writer's strike, and further what do you think about the actors and actresses not attending the Golden Globes? Do you think the strike will affect the Oscars at all?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:50 AM
The Evicerator

Cookie,

Unfortunately that sort of stuff is still under development and we don't have any sort of ETA for when it will be put into production.

Originally Posted by cookie1
Steve-

When do you think the new software for GTB will be released with regards to the auto timing advance. It sure seems like Josh and Mike like the feature. Has it changed since Cleveland?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:51 AM
The Evicerator

Hey Rough,

I will check to see if it is "OK" for me to post that information online later !

Originally Posted by rough512
Hi Steve

Would you guys possibly have information (re: wire guages and number of strands for each BL motor) posted somewhere? if not, kindly post them here? I rewound my 3.5r since I can't drive a car with it. My rewound motor is doing fine using #18awg wire but the winding is sloppy. I'm planning to re-do it sometime. I would like to pattern it after your "official" specs if possible.

thanks

Old 01-10-2008, 07:53 AM
The Evicerator

Losi,

Well I can't really say that it's safe because if you damage the battery pack by discharging it too low you run the risk of having problems charging that lipo pack back up....

From an ESC stand point it won't be hurt by the battery being discharged too low though.

Running a smart stop cut off module is your safest option available to you so you don't damage your packs.

Sometimes you can tell when a lipo pack is dumping just by the lack of punch you get but this is a very dangerous way to determine if your pack is getting close to being dumped out.

Originally Posted by LOSI123
Steve:

Is it safe to drive a car with a novak 4.5r and a gtb that doesnt have built in li-po cuttoff, and just drive it till when you pull the trigger on all the way you notice got not much power and then pull it in for a charge.

I am running li-po's and it seems to be all fine then just dump real fast all of a sudden, (like its hard to tell that its slowing, until bam !!!!)

so when it dumps can i just nurse the car in at slow speed.

or can letting it go until you notice it dump on a li-po can be bad for the pack?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:54 AM
The Evicerator

wyl,

I'm glad to have been a help!!

Originally Posted by wyl03
thanks Steve. you are spot on. the RX wiring was the wrong way around.

with prompt responses like this .. it's 1 of the primary reasons i got a 3rd novak speedo.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:00 AM
The Evicerator

I agree with them in that if you're doing work, you should be getting paid for it.

I wouldn't like going to the track weekend after weekend testing stuff and not getting paid for it...

As far as the award show stuff goes... I have a hard time caring about any of it... Alot of people patting themselves on the back for bad rehashes of 20 year old movies and concepts just doesn't strike me as noteworthy

I guess the actors and acrtresses not attending can be seen like a "sacrifice" from their point of view...they're cutting out valuble public appearance time in an effort to garner a close to the strike... so I guess that's nice of them.

Originally Posted by Frank McKinney
Steve, what is your opinion of the Hollywood writer's strike, and further what do you think about the actors and actresses not attending the Golden Globes? Do you think the strike will affect the Oscars at all?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
I agree with them in that if you're doing work, you should be getting paid for it.

I wouldn't like going to the track weekend after weekend testing stuff and not getting paid for it...
True, but you don't really expect to get paid continuously for years and years for that one weekend at the track testing something just because Novak is selling the thing you tested.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:05 PM
The Evicerator

Good point... I guess my analogy wasn't exactly perfect
Old 01-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

steve....2 ????'s

1st: what would you gear a 5.5 (foam) on a vegas sized track, TC?

2nd: why you gotta wuss out on COD4?

jk
Old 01-10-2008, 09:51 PM
The Evicerator

Our 5.5?

12.3 mm rotor about 8.5

13.0 mm rotor about 7.6 or so

as for COD4... no idea... just not into it lately

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
steve....2 ????'s

1st: what would you gear a 5.5 (foam) on a vegas sized track, TC?

2nd: why you gotta wuss out on COD4?

jk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.