Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The new motors look pretty sweet. The removable sensor harness that doesn't stick straight out the back is nice.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
Hi Chris,

What motor are you planning on running the 13 mm rotor in?

Usually when going from the 12.3 to the 13 mm rotor I gear up two or 3 teeth with a 3.5 or 4.5 turn motor.

Once you make the gearing change everything should run about on par with where it was before, but with more torque/consistant braking.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Steve, I'll be trying this in a 13.5.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:38 PM
The Evicerator

Although I haven't done TONS of testing with the 13.0 mm rotor with the "spec type" motors, I have found that I generally prefer the 12.3 mm rotor in the 10.5 and up motors.

But of course feel free to test out the 13 mm rotor and let us know how it goes!!
Old 02-10-2009, 03:39 PM
The Evicerator

Thanks Fred!

We're pretty proud of the new motor!

Originally Posted by Fred_B
The new motors look pretty sweet. The removable sensor harness that doesn't stick straight out the back is nice.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Although I haven't done TONS of testing with the 13.0 mm rotor with the "spec type" motors, I have found that I generally prefer the 12.3 mm rotor in the 10.5 and up motors.

But of course feel free to test out the 13 mm rotor and let us know how it goes!!
Will do, we run a sedan oval here and I'm thinking that it'll help set the car into the corner without letting off the throttle as much.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any plans for Novak to implement a programming device for the GTB ie: Losi Xceleron programmer?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Thanks Fred!

We're pretty proud of the new motor!
Are they gonna be aval. in 13.5 & 17.5?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:09 PM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by RC_Dan
Any plans for Novak to implement a programming device for the GTB ie: Losi Xceleron programmer?
Dan,

Cannot say for sure but we're always working on something over here

Originally Posted by Ron Goetter
Are they gonna be aval. in 13.5 & 17.5?

Goat,

Eventually... but we are releasing them in 3.5-8.5 initially. We didn't want to release everything at once and force everyone running the spec classes to run out and get another new motor

We plan on releasing them after some undefined period of time.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Dan,

Goat,

Eventually... but we are releasing them in 3.5-8.5 initially. We didn't want to release everything at once and force everyone running the spec classes to run out and get another new motor

We plan on releasing them after some undefined period of time.
guess I'll just have to deal with that semsor wire alittle longer then..
Old 02-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

hi,
Can The Ballistics 8.5 run with my XBR, it isnt listed as a supported esc on your site. But the xbr is barely mentioned anywhere on your site so i'm hoping it does and you just forgot to mention it

I was also wondering, i know you cant "offically" answer, but do you think i can run a Novak Velociti 7.5R. I know a little over the limit but if i keep an eye on temps and dont overdo the gearing why wouldnt it work?

chris

Last edited by chrislow; 02-13-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RC_Dan
I hope Novak would think carefully about doing this. I quite like the fact the GTB comes 'all in' and I don't need to buy any additional hardware. I also like the fact the software comes good out the factory and I don't need to download essential updates!

If they were to do an external programmer, maybe just having a simple USB port, like on the Sentry would be good. Perhaps if people want to avoid having a laptop around, maybe some kind of cheap programming card that could be included with the ESC.

I don't know how many parameters people would want to play with, but at the moment I get on pretty well with just the setup button.

One thing I do miss though, is a simple torque/current limiter like on the older brushed ESCs? A long time ago now, but I seem to remember this was a really easy way to control low end torque. With brushless motors having so much torque I would have thought a current limiter would be an obvious adjustment? How come the current limiter was dropped from Novak ESCs?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

I myself used to be huge into NOVAK when Tekin closed business a while back. One feature that immediately made me switch back to Tekin when I came back into the hobby is the simple fact of being able to program your ESC. The RS and RS Pro from Tekin are my preferred choice for sensored brushless racing because I can play with things like drag brakes, brake strength, boost (motor timing), and voltage cut-off to name a few. I feel like I am one with my car and speed controller. The best part of it all is the ESCs are very affordable, the hotwire adapter uses a USB interface into your computer, and updating the firmware for the ESC is near brainless.

If NOVAK goes this route with their ESC, I would definitely be a NOVAK/Tekin fan. I for one would highly recommend NOVAK look into programmable ESCs.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You can program the GTB, just not with a laptop.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:02 AM
The Evicerator

You should be able to run the 8.5 Ballistic with your XBR. While running the 7.5R with your XBR is not recommended, there is nothing preventing you from trying it as you mentioned... but be aware that damage can occur from not following recommendations!

Originally Posted by chrislow
hi,
Can The Ballistics 8.5 run with my XBR, it isnt listed as a supported esc on your site. But the xbr is barely mentioned anywhere on your site so i'm hoping it does and you just forgot to mention it

I was also wondering, i know you cant "offically" answer, but do you think i can run a Novak Velociti 7.5R. I know a little over the limit but if i keep an eye on temps and dont overdo the gearing why wouldnt it work?

chris
In regards to the ESC programming issue:

We are aware of what our competitors have been implimening in their latest offerings... all I can really say is that we are aware of these events and that anything we are working on will do a very good job of keeping "both" sets of people happy.

And, FYI as mentioned, the GTB is fully programmable... just need to read the instructions... many of those features are available via the setup button!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

In regards to the ESC programming issue:

We are aware of what our competitors have been implimening in their latest offerings... all I can really say is that we are aware of these events and that anything we are working on will do a very good job of keeping "both" sets of people happy.

And, FYI as mentioned, the GTB is fully programmable... just need to read the instructions... many of those features are available via the setup button!
Understood about the GTB ESC and its convenience.

My track has a computer we can all use to program our Tekin ESCs via Hotwire. Plus a couple of us bring in our Laptops and Hotwires for others to use as well. I do not see any inconvenience there.

My opinion is more on the lines of being able to get into the nitty-gritty portion of the ESC, like the Tekin RS ESCs I have. Setup buttons seem like a thing of the past. Being able to go into the details of the ESC is more revolutionary.

Again, this is just my opinion in adding more competition in the programmable ESC market, where you can use your laptop as an interface instead of the age old setup button.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.