Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss >

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi,

What setting of the minimum drive should I use with 5.5T 2S with rubber on carpet (high traction) touring car with the GTB speedo (the old version, not the lipo or ss version). Is the minimum drive the same thing as LRP's punch setting on their speedos? So for stock racing it should be maximum and with modified maybe something in the middle of the range or so? And for low tracktion offroad minimum minimum drive ?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 AM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by rcterp
Power Cap question - I believe the XBR used a smaller power cap. Would it be effective to use the smaller power cap on the GTB only running a 1s (3.7v) lipo with a 13.5 motor?
We are currently evaluating different solutions with regards to power capacitors for use with 1S lipo power sources.

For the time being you will likely still get better performance with the standard GTB power cap than you would with the smaller 16v 680 uf cap used on the XBR. But I don't see any harm in using the smaller cap for space savings.

Originally Posted by stitchy
Hi Steve,

The new TCS rules for GT2 stipulate that we need a yellow ringed 17.5. I have the old 17.5 with a black ring.

Without buying a new motor just to get the yellow ring, is there an easier way?

Thanks!
Hey Stitchy,

The best way to go about getting a yellow ringed motor is simply to do a motor exhange with us.

http://www.teamnovak.com/cs/web_opti...dex_motor.html

For $35 you will get a remanufactured motor with yellow timing ring, fresh bearings, and fresh rotor... all in all it's not a bad deal being as that new bearings/endbells and a rotor will cost you more than that by themselves.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thank you Mr. Evicerator. What is it that you evicerate?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
We are currently evaluating different solutions with regards to power capacitors for use with 1S lipo power sources.

For the time being you will likely still get better performance with the standard GTB power cap than you would with the smaller 16v 680 uf cap used on the XBR. But I don't see any harm in using the smaller cap for space savings.

Sounds good. I'll let you know how it goes; I'm cool being a guinea pig.

By the way - Paper or plastic?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:37 PM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by lauri
Hi,

What setting of the minimum drive should I use with 5.5T 2S with rubber on carpet (high traction) touring car with the GTB speedo (the old version, not the lipo or ss version). Is the minimum drive the same thing as LRP's punch setting on their speedos? So for stock racing it should be maximum and with modified maybe something in the middle of the range or so? And for low tracktion offroad minimum minimum drive ?
Most of the time I recommend to everyone to use the lowest minimum drive value available for modified...which is 1% in most of all the versions of the GTBs save for the very first few releases.

For stock you can run higher, but most of the time all brushless motors are so sensitive to throttle input that just running a small amount of minimum drive is all that is required to get the car going and not give too much "squirt" inadvertantly while cornering.

LRP's punch setting does a little bit more than simply effect the "minimum drive" so it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges when trying to compare the two of them. Their ESC also adds more electronic advanced timing the higher you go with the "punch" setting, while the GTB does not.

Originally Posted by stitchy
Thank you Mr. Evicerator. What is it that you evicerate?
No comment

Sounds good. I'll let you know how it goes; I'm cool being a guinea pig.

By the way - Paper or plastic?
Hopefully I should have some more information sooner rather than later... just stop by and ask again!

I don't think anyone gives you the option anymore...all I seem to get shoved down my throat at the grocery store are plastic bags... but I guess if had to choose I'd say paper: they can be recycled and you can always plant more trees... you can recycle plastic too...but you can't very easily plant billion year old dinosaurs
Old 01-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Steve,

Is there something differenet in the Slyder ESC vs the GTB that will not allow you to run a 1S lipo setup?

We have a few racers that are running the GTB w/1S lipo, leave switch off and use RX pack. Tried it with the Slyder last night and no power to the ESC. When we remove the RX pack and turn on the switch the ESC gets power but not enough to run of course.

Thanks,

Tim Ski
Old 01-22-2009, 12:00 PM
The Evicerator

We added a little circuitry that prevents servo back voltage from causing damage to the ESC when the power to the ESC is off... the same circuit is preventing the RX pack from powering the ESC's electronics.

To make this work, simply turn on your RX pack like you normally would, then turn on then off the ESC's switch. This will "open up" the circuit and allow the RX pack to power the ESC like you are expecting it to.

Also to note, newer shipments of GTBs should have this added circuitry as well...so I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing this occur with newer GTBs as well.

Originally Posted by HobbyPLEX
Steve,

Is there something different in the Slyder ESC vs the GTB that will not allow you to run a 1S lipo setup?

We have a few racers that are running the GTB w/1S lipo, leave switch off and use RX pack. Tried it with the Slyder last night and no power to the ESC. When we remove the RX pack and turn on the switch the ESC gets power but not enough to run of course.

Thanks,

Tim Ski
Old 01-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

How can I find out if my particular GTB has this circuit?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
We added a little circuitry that prevents servo back voltage from causing damage to the ESC when the power to the ESC is off... the same circuit is preventing the RX pack from powering the ESC's electronics.

To make this work, simply turn on your RX pack like you normally would, then turn on then off the ESC's switch. This will "open up" the circuit and allow the RX pack to power the ESC like you are expecting it to.

Also to note, newer shipments of GTBs should have this added circuitry as well...so I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing this occur with newer GTBs as well.
Thanks Steve!!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

steve, will a spread spectrum GTB work with my mx3 FM radio?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Steve,

Probably a dumb question. Will the Smart Tray discharge 4 cell batteries?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Steve,

yes
Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by KHoff7
yes
You stalking me???? hahah

I need to make sure I'm good without my Lipo.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:42 PM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
steve, will a spread spectrum GTB work with my mx3 FM radio?
Yes, it will just glitch SS GTBs are NOT recommended for standard RF AM/FM/PCM radio systems.

Steve,

Yes it will! Just make sure you have the battery bars on the tray lined up with the bars on the packs and that the polarity is correct and you will be fine!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

steveeeeee. I have a fifty dollar visa gift card and i want to use towards a purchase of an RMF XBR (or a non SS GTB if they become available again soon). How would i go about doing this if its even possible?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.