Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss >

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Old 04-29-2007, 06:19 PM
The Evicerator

Hey guys!

Scottrik,

Definately sounds like you have a problem there with your charger... try giving charlie a call sometime this week to see what he can do for you...?

949 833 8873

Capelracer,

I'm really not sure what's going on with that... I know the big-wigs are discussing some sort of trade up procedure but what it is and when it will go into effect are unknown to me right now.

Shookie,

Thanks man!

It went ok...had some ups and downs but wound up finishing 3rd behind Numan and Jun...not toooo shabby of a day I guess
Old 04-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Thanks Steve--I figured I was in trouble (or rather my poor charger was). I'll try calling Charlie and we'll see what's what. Ah well...can't kick too hard...it served me long and well.

Congrats on the racing this weekend.

Scottrik
Old 04-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

STEVE!!!! hey dude, thanks for setting up my 10.5 this morning. it made for an easier day not having to worry about cutting motors. now i know what the hoopla is all about with brushless/lipo. definitely a worthwhile investment! cant wait to run it in the local parking lot races!

thanks again for the help and all the answers to my questions.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:16 PM
The Evicerator

No problem dude!

I'm always glad to help in any way that I can!
Old 04-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Hey Steve,

Novak Tech question...one of my trusy Millennium Pro chargers has decided to give up the ghost. It started out by going to "Conditioning in progress" to start out each charge at our race last week. If I released one of the leads then reconnected it that would "force" it into charge mode and it charged fine.

Tonight when I tried to charge my batteries it did the same thing on the first battery, but subsequent batteries it still does the "Conditioning" thing but when I try to force it it starts to charge but immediately goes to "Leads Shorted". I opened 'er up and the leads are a-ok from where they're soldered into the board to the clips, so I'm thinking there's something else.

Is there something I can try or is it doomed? It doesn't look like the exchange/upgrade program accepts these excellent chargers anymore.

Thanks buddy,

Scottrik
Make certain that you are not trying to charge a 4-cell pack on the 6-cell pack charge mode. I had the same thing happen to me this past weekend. Once I changed to the correct more, everything worked fine.

-Eric
Old 04-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THE DARKSIDE
Make certain that you are not trying to charge a 4-cell pack on the 6-cell pack charge mode. I had the same thing happen to me this past weekend. Once I changed to the correct more, everything worked fine.
Jeezus!!

I'd say I'm a COMPLETE 'tard...but there are several parts missing. Mostly the useful stuff...like brain cells.

Yes, I just plugged the charger into my ps, and sure as hell it's on 6-cell. I've now changed that profile to another 4-cell one since I don't do anything with 6-cells anymore. No idea how it changed.

Well, now I'll have three of them as I bought a used on off the wanted board post.

Funnyest thing...your post came in while I was talking to Charlie. He made a good point that's worth remembering if anyones Millennium Pro DOES happen to fail, and that's while Novak doesn't have a charger now (and can't service the "old" ones) you should hang onto them as he says they WILL someday have a new charger and they will have a trade-in/upgrade program.

Thanks again Eric!

Scottrik
Old 05-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Does the Novak XXtra receivers have BEC built in?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Jeezus!!

I'd say I'm a COMPLETE 'tard...but there are several parts missing. Mostly the useful stuff...like brain cells.

Yes, I just plugged the charger into my ps, and sure as hell it's on 6-cell. I've now changed that profile to another 4-cell one since I don't do anything with 6-cells anymore. No idea how it changed.

Well, now I'll have three of them as I bought a used on off the wanted board post.

Funnyest thing...your post came in while I was talking to Charlie. He made a good point that's worth remembering if anyones Millennium Pro DOES happen to fail, and that's while Novak doesn't have a charger now (and can't service the "old" ones) you should hang onto them as he says they WILL someday have a new charger and they will have a trade-in/upgrade program.

Thanks again Eric!

Scottrik
Glad that I could help

-E
Old 05-01-2007, 12:13 PM
The Evicerator

Secret: They don't have a BEC like what you would find in an ESC.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Oh wise Steve. How am I going to get out of having to work half day Saturday morning so I can get up to BCR earlier for more track time?

I have to work until noon and it's about an hour and a half drive from the office.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
Oh wise Steve. How am I going to get out of having to work half day Saturday morning so I can get up to BCR earlier for more track time?

I have to work until noon and it's about an hour and a half drive from the office.
just call in sick?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I wish. I'm the only one who's going to be there. We only have one person in the branch on Saturday mornings for some dumb ass reason. The worst part is, there's no reason for it. If I get one call Saturday, I'll be surprised.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Steve,

With the GTB using a brushed motor would it be a problem to solder the pink and yellow to one side of the negative tab and soder the green to the other side of the negative tab instead of trying to solder all 3 to one tab?

Thanks..Greg
Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 AM
The Evicerator

Jon -- I suggest you work out a deal with one of your co-workers... have them work the morning instead of you in return for some sort of favor... sports event tickets... etc ...
Old 05-03-2007, 08:56 AM
The Evicerator

Hey Greg,

Sounds like you rewired your ESC with some different colored wire!

When running brushed mode you need to make sure that all three phases -- A, B, and C (Blue, yellow, and orange) -- are soldered to the negative tab of your brushed motor. You will need to place a jumper wire between the battery red wire to the positive tab of your motor as well.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.