Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 onroad car for club racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default 1/10 onroad car for club racing

I have never ran onroad...just off road and bashed but they are starting a 1/10 onroad class....I know alot of the die hard racers seem to be going for an Associated TC5 or TC6

I dont think I want to spend that much on one...is there a decent 1/10 onroad thats less than an AE?

I heard a few guys say the HPI Sprint 2 is durable but does not turn well.....I used to race an HPI Blitz and that thing was horrible on tight tracks....went to an SC10 and its much better than my Blitz in the corners....I dont want to get in that situation again.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

Hello?...........can you hear me now?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

I've seen a guy run the Sprint, it did not seem to have a turning issue. I dunno man it all really comes down to what looks best . What are the local guys running? What is easiest to get parts for? What are you willing to spend. You could get an old xxx-s and do well, you could get the newest xray and do well. Too many possible answers ...
Old 05-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by utah300rum

I dont think I want to spend that much on one...is there a decent 1/10 onroad thats less than an AE?
It's quite funny , because AE is the cheapest of the professional kits

If that's too much ( TC5 is 220 $ on AE site !!! ) , then try to find a good used professional kit ....
Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The Sprint is a great car but not in the same league as the TC5 or 6. Depends on what you want and need it for. The Sprint is a great first car without all the high end mumbo jumbo.
If you DO want a high level car for as cheap as possible, NEW Losi JRXS-R's are selling for $200. A great car although now discontinued as Losi goes in a different direction.

Used opens up huge possibilities. TC5's can be found all day long for $150 or less. Losi XXX-S's can be found for $125 or less, And many other high quality cars like X-Ray and Corrally can be found for $150 or less.

Buying new most likely isn't the way to go but just make sure you seek advice before you end up buying some oddball chassis that looks great but is totally unusable and parts are impossible to get.

Enjoy On Road !!! It's still a blast !!!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Evoracer
The Sprint is a great car but not in the same league as the TC5 or 6. Depends on what you want and need it for. The Sprint is a great first car without all the high end mumbo jumbo.
If you DO want a high level car for as cheap as possible, NEW Losi JRXS-R's are selling for $200. A great car although now discontinued as Losi goes in a different direction.

Used opens up huge possibilities. TC5's can be found all day long for $150 or less. Losi XXX-S's can be found for $125 or less, And many other high quality cars like X-Ray and Corrally can be found for $150 or less.

Buying new most likely isn't the way to go but just make sure you seek advice before you end up buying some oddball chassis that looks great but is totally unusable and parts are impossible to get.

Enjoy On Road !!! It's still a blast !!!!!
Agreed. About the only thing I would add, is that between a JRX-S and a XXX-S, it is my personal opinion that the latter is a lot easier to drive overall. The JRX-S can be a more precise weapon if dialed in correctly. I'm thinking about finding another XXX-s myself . That car worked for me no matter where I ran it... had a bit of push but I learned to go fast anyhow.

One other option: Schumacher MI1 from Stormer Hobbies, $165 brand new. Old school but easy to drive.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

the top photons are cheap and very very competitive especialy in stock
Old 05-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Agreed. About the only thing I would add, is that between a JRX-S and a XXX-S, it is my personal opinion that the latter is a lot easier to drive overall. The JRX-S can be a more precise weapon if dialed in correctly. I'm thinking about finding another XXX-s myself . That car worked for me no matter where I ran it... had a bit of push but I learned to go fast anyhow.

One other option: Schumacher MI1 from Stormer Hobbies, $165 brand new. Old school but easy to drive.
Yeppers, the XXX-S is still a great one. I'm a bit of a collector. Have 3 now and may be adding a 4th. Scouring the internet looking for those TMF parts.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Yeppers, the XXX-S is still a great one. I'm a bit of a collector. Have 3 now and may be adding a 4th. Scouring the internet looking for those TMF parts.
C'mon man, throw me a bone.... don't you have enough of them? If I get out-bid on ebay soon I'm blaming you . I'd be happy to just find a decent rtr version sans electronics. For low-traction club racing on asphalt that chassis was just right.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default TOP Photon

Originally Posted by jake95
the top photons are cheap and very very competitive especialy in stock
+1 for TOP Photon.. less expensive, tough parts, comes with extras in the box and is very competitive. Best bang for the buck right there... at my LHS, there are about 6 people (including myself) running the Photon and one of them is a national champion.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ewashburnaf
and one of them is a national champion.
Does his talent come in the box too??

I kid, I kid. They are nice. I remember when no one payed attention to their cars, guess they have come a long way....
Old 05-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Tech Regular

None of the local LHS cary 1/10 onroad.....one has a lot of 1/8 GT2 stuff and mini z......but nothing in the 1/10 onroad.

I will have to order everything online....or at the LHS nothing will really be in stock.

I am an Associated guy so I guess I will look for a screamin' deal on an TC4,5 or 6....I just dont want to spend much since I will probably only race once a month at best...and in Utah since the track is outdoors I may run it 5-6 times at best.

I just saw a few posts on the Ofna it looks pretty cheap, but souns like that may not be a good option....I may still look at the Sprint 2...if I can get one cheap.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Get the belt-driven AE car, life will be easier.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Get the belt-driven AE car, life will be easier.
yes... agreed... shaft drives get torque steer... if possible get the newest version... new developments and upgraded parts later on will help you along the way too.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

I think the BD cars "flow" better, they don't break traction as quickly. As mentioned before, the TC5 is going for a song. For a "once a month" racer I don't think you can go wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.