R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #331
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12 View Post
This is my Trinity Reflex. Bought this car just for optical reasons not for racing. Looks very good in any collection.

The tubes are the CRC blue tubes. Not available anymore.
Were there any attemps for a 1/12 direct drive touring class? Tamiya made attempt with F103GT, Corally had a 1/10 direct drive sedan based on pan car chassis as well.

I prefer racing 1/12 pan car over touring cars, but most of people around here don't like gtp body style. They love trying to replicate their full size vehicle in r/c car. Also non-racing car bodies sell better than racing car bodies at my store. Therefore, when I tried to order Tamiya kits I usually skip the ones with a racing body/decal
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #332
Tech Champion

The F103GT was the closest you will find to that. Pan cars really work much much better with some type of aero body so it never really caught on.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #333
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
It's hard to say, as in the beginning of the 2000s their cars were popular and won a ton of races. I'm not sure if it just came down to not wanting to keep up with new designs and parts when there seemed to be an explosion of car makers (CRC, SpeedMerchant, Hot Bodies, BMI, Xray, etc..)
Not really that sure what happened either to be honest. I had one of the Black Widow cars when that was released, but it seemed that the wheel base was slightly too long for most tracks around here and it did n't catch on at all. I was the only person around here to have one!
Old 07-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #334
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman2 View Post
Not really that sure what happened either to be honest. I had one of the Black Widow cars when that was released, but it seemed that the wheel base was slightly too long for most tracks around here and it did n't catch on at all. I was the only person around here to have one!
The older purple and black cars like the Spashett car really seemed to be the peak. The last couple cars seemed to be harder to get working from what I saw at the races. Still, they did kick ass for a long time.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #335
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspeed View Post
Were there any attemps for a 1/12 direct drive touring class? Tamiya made attempt with F103GT, Corally had a 1/10 direct drive sedan based on pan car chassis as well.

I prefer racing 1/12 pan car over touring cars, but most of people around here don't like gtp body style. They love trying to replicate their full size vehicle in r/c car. Also non-racing car bodies sell better than racing car bodies at my store. Therefore, when I tried to order Tamiya kits I usually skip the ones with a racing body/decal
Yokomo made one in the 1990s but it was never released,The F103GT is still popular here. Its is one of the three main classes I race,but parts are getting hard to come by. We run only Tamiya Super GT bodies and they work really well. They have more body roll than the F103 but they still perform good enough to be alot of fun.
bakaguyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #336
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaguyjean View Post
Yokomo made one in the 1990s but it was never released,The F103GT is still popular here. Its is one of the three main classes I race,but parts are getting hard to come by. We run only Tamiya Super GT bodies and they work really well. They have more body roll than the F103 but they still perform good enough to be alot of fun.
The F103 is wider than a 1/12th scale. 1/12th is 172 mm, The F103 is 198 mm. The new World GT (WGT) class that is taking off has 200 or 205 mm limit, so the F103 slots right into that class without any significant issues. The class uses 2-door GT bodies, 1S packs and 10.5 turn motors. There are a few kits around for it; Xray, CRC and Associated all make one.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #337
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
It's hard to say, as in the beginning of the 2000s their cars were popular and won a ton of races. I'm not sure if it just came down to not wanting to keep up with new designs and parts when there seemed to be an explosion of car makers (CRC, SpeedMerchant, Hot Bodies, BMI, Xray, etc..)
Maybe this had to do with David Spashett retiring. With David they won a lot of races and maybe he was the reason for designing all the new car and parts they made in large numbers.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #338
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12 View Post
Maybe this had to do with David Spashett retiring. With David they won a lot of races and maybe he was the reason for designing all the new car and parts they made in large numbers.
That may be, as they also lost Josh Cyrul and Jim Dieter (went with TrueSpeed for a while) around that time as well.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #339
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspeed View Post

Yes, there "ARE" two. One from Yokomo and one from Kawada.

The Yokomo is the GT500
http://www.teamyokomo.com/gt/index.html

The Kawada is the M300GT
http://www.kawadamodel.co.jp/

I myself am trying to convert an M300SX to a GT, however, I am having difficulties in trying to get the necessary Kawada parts to do it. If anyone could help, I would appreciate it. Here's the parts list.
Kawada M300 Parts
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #340
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
Yes, there "ARE" two. One from Yokomo and one from Kawada.

The Yokomo is the GT500
http://www.teamyokomo.com/gt/index.html

The Kawada is the M300GT
http://www.kawadamodel.co.jp/

I myself am trying to convert an M300SX to a GT, however, I am having difficulties in trying to get the necessary Kawada parts to do it. If anyone could help, I would appreciate it. Here's the parts list.
Kawada M300 Parts
They look like Mini sized rims on those cars. I might have a need for running rubber tyres on the rear of my R12R5.1. Would you know if I would need anything other that the hub set for the GT500 to accomplish that? (http://www.rc-model.com.au/shop/yoko...-90031656.html)

Edit: Never mind, I found the manual. You'd actually need quite a lot of stuff, and it still might not work, depending upon the relative pod width of each car.

Slightly off topic, but the GT500 runs a geared diff. I haven't seen one of those on a modern 12th before. Seeing as how this is the classic thread, perhaps people would like to share their knowledge of geared diffs on pan cars? When was the last one, etc. All the TCs are going back to geared diffs...
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU

Last edited by Radio Active; 07-06-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #341
Tech Master

I used to run a Delta 1/12th with a gear diff. Compared to a ball diff it delivers less traction in 1/12th. It locks under power, so if you're accelerating you can get wheelspin more easily. I don't know what it does for a TC.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #342
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The gear diff in the Tamiya 12RM worked well with kit tires.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #343
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Save yourself some headaches and just get the main chassis plate for the M300GT. Most people buy the M300GT and then they change it over to sponge,using the rear axle from the 1/12th M300.It doesnt work very well with the rubber tires even with the wide rears.
The same goes for the Yokomo,the only people that run the Yokomo with rubber tires is the slower of the two classes Yokomo have.

The slower class is slower than a Tamiya "M" chassis with a silver can and 6.6v LiFe. There is a group of guys that run these at my track and they allways pull over and let the "M" chassis guys go by.
If you dont mind running older bodies the Frewer bodies drop on current chassis without to many problems. This is Frewers boxer on a CRC.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic 1/12th-pic_0153.jpg  

Last edited by bakaguyjean; 07-06-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #344
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

My M300SX is basically the same chassis as the M300GT except it has hubs for foam tires only. I was looking to convert it to the M300GT to run against 2WD M chassis cars here. Granted the Kawada tires may not grip so well but there are so many other options for mini tires.
http://www.sweepracingusa.com/Minis_c_11.html

Perhaps with a better tire these could be faster on a smooth asphalt track.

Here's what a M300SX looks like. (taken from Kawada Blog)
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #345
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
My M300SX is basically the same chassis as the M300GT except it has hubs for foam tires only. I was looking to convert it to the M300GT to run against 2WD M chassis cars here. Granted the Kawada tires may not grip so well but there are so many other options for mini tires.
http://www.sweepracingusa.com/Minis_c_11.html

Perhaps with a better tire these could be faster on a smooth asphalt track.

Here's what a M300SX looks like. (taken from Kawada Blog)
You will run rings around the "M" chassis cars using rubber or foam,if you are using the same motor . I have an SX and love it because you can use just about any battery you have laying around and its window for set up is bigger than most current 1/12s. Its a great car for somebody that doesnt want to dive into 1/12 head first buying the special ESC and batteries. You can even use a standard size steering servo.