Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TC6 - TC5 Universal CVA Conversion with new design C hubs. >

TC6 - TC5 Universal CVA Conversion with new design C hubs.

TC6 - TC5 Universal CVA Conversion with new design C hubs.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Arrow TC6 - TC5 Universal CVA Conversion with new design C hubs.

After running the ECS driveshafts on the 008 and seeing the big improvement in smooth bindless cornering, I decided to look into the conversion on the TC6. To start the outdrive ID's are a bit small. No problem buy a reamer and fix that, or dremel the outdrive ID to fit. Step 2 (the big sticker) C hub openings for CVA's are too small. Well the Xray large C hubs fit the inside arm width OK, but 3 more issues arise. The pin size thru the Xray C hub is .120 and the AE arm is .104. Now the arm has to be drilled and reamed for the larger pin. Also this now mean keeping Xray mount bushings on hand. Now everything fits up and bolts on right? No....the C hubs are larger and a bunch of material from both the AE arm and the Xray C hub have to be removed to get wheel back to correct camber. All in all you have modded arms, Xray C hubs, bushings, C hub pins, and set screw to hold, plus now a weakened front arm and C hub from dremel work.

Simple solution to all this with 1 quick mod to the outdrive opening? New design C hubs with wide opening that takes correct pin. So since there are no options out there...and this is a well worth the time upgrade I'll ask. Who would be interested in 4 degree or 6 degree C hubs made from high strength 7075 T6 (aluminum), with large openings for the universals?
If interested please state preference either 4 degree or 6 degree, blue anodized or alum finish. if there is enough interest then I will build them. Estimate mid $30.00 range for the pair, Xrays go for $72.00 ($36.00 ea).

Here are the Spec R universals that would then fit and they go for the low $40.00 for a set. They would also fit the Xray ECS drive shafts if you prefer "optimized" units.

Last edited by Verndog; 04-27-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Verndog - i would HIGHLY recommend you re-consider the use of the Spec-R 'LCD's within any product design. these things are super fragile. when I switched from XRay to TOP my biggest problem was getting an LCD that worked. I'd like to suggest another option to you -- making XRay ECS mate with your spool. This will be much more successful.

Or you could just buy my Side Piece Racing Mira Outdrives that work w/ the TOP Photon 40T pully (and will fit a TC6). www.sidepieceracing.com
Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hanulec
Verndog - i would HIGHLY recommend you re-consider the use of the Spec-R 'LCD's within any product design. these things are super fragile. when I switched from XRay to TOP my biggest problem was getting an LCD that worked. I'd like to suggest another option to you -- making XRay ECS mate with your spool. This will be much more successful.

Or you could just buy my Side Piece Racing Mira Outdrives that work w/ the TOP Photon 40T pully (and will fit a TC6). www.sidepieceracing.com
Point well taken. I just ordered a set to try. I'm running the Xrays (double the cost) on my 008's. But either one you decide to run you still have the C hub problem because of too narrow opening. The C hubs I would build would accomidate ANY universal drive shaft of your choice, and currently there are no other options as I see it.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Verndog
Point well taken. I just ordered a set to try. I'm running the Xrays (double the cost) on my 008's. But either one you decide to run you still have the C hub problem because of too narrow opening. The C hubs I would build would accomidate ANY universal drive shaft of your choice, and currently there are no other options as I see it.
Before you run your Spec-R C.V. make sure to replace the double-joint pints -- I've seen paper clips stronger than those things. Anything you can find from a hobby store or mcmaster is better (you can run XRay pins too.. but again they cost $$)

The C hubs are definitely a good idea. Another option is to just go 'all-in' on the XRay front plastics to match the ECS. Either or can work. Heck, I wish someone else would make the XRay C Hub bushings....
Old 04-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hanulec
Before you run your Spec-R C.V. make sure to replace the double-joint pints -- I've seen paper clips stronger than those things. Anything you can find from a hobby store or mcmaster is better (you can run XRay pins too.. but again they cost $$)

The C hubs are definitely a good idea. Another option is to just go 'all-in' on the XRay front plastics to match the ECS. Either or can work. Heck, I wish someone else would make the XRay C Hub bushings....
Actually just the pic of their pins I could see what appeared to be a rough turned mild steel pin. Easy enough to fix that but a pretty lame short cut since the integrity of the whole shaft lies on the pin and set screw strength.

As far as all Xray plastic, the arms wont fit, too many issues so using just the c hubs starts the domino effect of mods and part weakening. I'm convinced a new designed C hub is the easiest and also cheapest path.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

i am using hot bodies on mine and all you change is the bearing and a lot cheaper than xray $60 a set
Old 04-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Warren Weaver
i am using hot bodies on mine and all you change is the bearing and a lot cheaper than xray $60 a set
So if your changing bearings then I assume you are running the hot bodies C hubs AND the steering blocks? If so, are the hot bodies C hub mount pins the same size as the AE arms?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

can choice Arrowmax had for xray , Tamiya & HB
Old 04-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

So if your changing bearings then I assume you are running the hot bodies C hubs AND the steering blocks? If so, are the hot bodies C hub mount pins the same size as the AE arms?
just bearings 6x10x3 everything else stock,just need to take a little material off of the c hub
Old 04-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

just bearings 6x10x3 everything else stock,just need to take a little material off of the c hub
Ok thanks, I'll assume that does mean you are using the hot bodies steering blocks AND C hubs.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Ok thanks, I'll assume that does mean you are using the hot bodies steering blocks AND C hubs.
no ae stock c hubs and steering blocks
Old 04-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

no ae stock c hubs and steering blocks
Do you have any pics of that setup around? The connection joint must be outside the C hub or alot smaller because the stock openings are way too small for the Spec-R or Xray ECS drive shafts.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I believe the HB driveshafts are a bit smaller at the joint as they do not use set screws, just press fit pins. I've done this before and it only requires a little dremeling on the caster block for proper clearance. Like he said, bearings and dremel, then you are going.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by brians11
I believe the HB driveshafts are a bit smaller at the joint as they do not use set screws, just press fit pins. I've done this before and it only requires a little dremeling on the caster block for proper clearance. Like he said, bearings and dremel, then you are going.
Thanks for the input. I went ahead and ordered a set of the Hot Bodies universals too. The thing i REALLY like is not having to bore out the outdrives and remove the protective hardcoating that vastly reduces wear.

I modded some Xray C hubs and it went better then expected, but surely the AE option is less parts and less $$....that said I know for a fact the Xray Chubs hold out better then the stock AE ones though.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Also, I believe you will have to drill out the AE blades, ever so slightly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.