Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Over-Discharged Lipo, Can it be Revived? >

Over-Discharged Lipo, Can it be Revived?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Over-Discharged Lipo, Can it be Revived?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Over-Discharged Lipo, Can it be Revived?

I have a 4S 2100mah lipo that I believe was over-discharged. 3 cells seem to be good and one seems to be bad. When I last hooked up my Venom Pro Charger it charged it charged the battery and then I got an error. When I tried to re charge it I got 3 cells at 4.06 and 1 cell at 1.57 and it raised to over 2.0 and then i got the error again.

Can anything be done?

Battery doesn't really look puffed and if it is maybe very slightly. It is a softpack.

Battery is for a starter box.

Has balancing tap and deans.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You can place it on a ni-mh charge WHILE YOU WATCH IT CHARGE and bring it up to say 11-12vs then stop it, swap over to lipo mode and charge.

I STRONGLY suggest putting this in a lipo sack and even possibly charging it outside away from other stuff.

IF the cell goes full bad it will puff and cause damage to the pack and anything around it.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If one cell is at 1.57 volts, it's done!!! If it was only a little below 3 volts, you might be able to save it, but this sounds like you discharged it too far and never charged it back up. That cell has an internal short, and trying to charge it may result in flames.

You're using a 4 cell lipo battery for a starter box??? Just use a 12 volt gel cell. They're cheaper, stronger, and won't go boom!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

the best thing to do if a lipo goes bad is to get rid of it. 2100 turnigy or skylipos are under 15 bucks just get a new and forget that headache
Old 04-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've done what Randy suggested but have never had a cell that low before. Good Luck!