Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya M05 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Tech Adept

Default Tamiya M05 Issues

Hey guys,

Need a little help on sorting out a few problems with my M05.

I have been running with the M05 for about 3 or so months now, although the car handles ok I dont think its as good as it could be. I have been running HPI X-patterns on the front and Sweep 25's on the rear. I find running anything else makes the car un-drivable. The past weekend at a race meet away from my usual club A guy suggested stiffening up the rear end of the car, adding weight to the battery area and also to the front of the car. Now I can driver the car ok'ish with Sweep 25 rear & Sweep 32 Front, its actually not bad at all but my concern now is mid cornering the front end shudders quite badly. What things can I do to rid of this problem?

At the end of the day I am trying to absorb as much info as I can about the M05 setup's

I will try and give you as much details of what I am running and what I have set everything too, basically I want to know if I am on the right or wrong track and what could be the cause of my problem and what is needed to fix the issue and make a better car for racing

Chassis - M05 - set to LWB
HW Combo 13T
200g 2S Lipo
speedy installed opposite side to the motor

Front
TRF shocks with 30wt oil (white springs)
1.5mm camber
upper arm link set to bottom hole
tor out 2 degrees
alu front C-mount, knuckles with universal swing shafts
gears, run dry 20T ponion and diff using 100,000 oil
No swaybars installed

Rear
TRF shocks with 30wt oil (red springs)
Rear uprights Aluminium 3degree toe
2 degree camber
No swaybars installed

at the moment the car weights about 1350g with weight added to the front bumber (foam type) and also to top and bottom of the lipo pack, an additional weight added on top of the battery holder (opposite side to the motor) Left to right the car almost weights the same however there quite a difference weight front to rear.

I look forward to being educated by any of you M-Chassis tech-sperts out willing to teach me the right way of doing things!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tormentus
Hey guys,

Need a little help on sorting out a few problems with my M05.

I have been running with the M05 for about 3 or so months now, although the car handles ok I dont think its as good as it could be. I have been running HPI X-patterns on the front and Sweep 25's on the rear. I find running anything else makes the car un-drivable. The past weekend at a race meet away from my usual club A guy suggested stiffening up the rear end of the car, adding weight to the battery area and also to the front of the car. Now I can driver the car ok'ish with Sweep 25 rear & Sweep 32 Front, its actually not bad at all but my concern now is mid cornering the front end shudders quite badly. What things can I do to rid of this problem?

At the end of the day I am trying to absorb as much info as I can about the M05 setup's

I will try and give you as much details of what I am running and what I have set everything too, basically I want to know if I am on the right or wrong track and what could be the cause of my problem and what is needed to fix the issue and make a better car for racing

Chassis - M05 - set to LWB
HW Combo 13T
200g 2S Lipo
speedy installed opposite side to the motor

Front
TRF shocks with 30wt oil (white springs)
1.5mm camber
upper arm link set to bottom hole
tor out 2 degrees
alu front C-mount, knuckles with universal swing shafts
gears, run dry 20T ponion and diff using 100,000 oil
No swaybars installed

Rear
TRF shocks with 30wt oil (red springs)
Rear uprights Aluminium 3degree toe
2 degree camber
No swaybars installed

at the moment the car weights about 1350g with weight added to the front bumber (foam type) and also to top and bottom of the lipo pack, an additional weight added on top of the battery holder (opposite side to the motor) Left to right the car almost weights the same however there quite a difference weight front to rear.

I look forward to being educated by any of you M-Chassis tech-sperts out willing to teach me the right way of doing things!
go to the Mini Cooper thread. You'll find a ton of info there. A lot of very knowledgeable people post there.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

A lot of the car's setup is though the shocks. The blue mini springs in the front and orange springs in the back made my car handle better.

Front Shocks-
Shock:TRF
Urethane bushing: 0
Shock spacers: 2.5mm
Pistion: 3 holes
Shock oil: 50wt
Spring: Blue(mini)
Ground clearance: 7mm
Camper angle: Stock
Toe angle: Stock
Tires: S-Grip

Rear Shocks-
Shock:TRF
Urethane bushing: 0
Shock spacers: 2.5mm
Pistion: 3 holes
Shock oil: 30wt
Spring: Orange
Ground clearance: 6.5mm
Camper angle: Stock
Toe angle: Stock
Tires: S-Grip

Edit- This setup is for asphalt.

Last edited by Foxxrocket; 04-26-2011 at 01:44 PM.