Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TC3 RTR upgrades priorities?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default TC3 RTR upgrades priorities?

I got a used TC3 RTR on eBay (don't even have it in hand yet!) and am looking for advice on what upgrades will give me the most bang/buck. Is there a point of diminishing returns where it would be more cost-effective to just start over with a different chassis? (like Xray)

Thanks,

Bill
Old 09-20-2004, 11:27 PM
Tech Initiate

just buy some spare parts and practice with it for few months,and then upgrade to tc4.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default TC3 upgrades

>just buy some spare parts and practice with it for few months,and then upgrade to tc4.

My question was WHICH parts. You just said "some spare parts."

Thanks,

Bill
Old 09-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I've been using one for a few months now...it's held up pretty good so far...here's what I got for spares:

Factory team hingepins (stockers bend easy)
Ver. 2 front arms (not graphite unless you never hit stuff)
Extra suspension mount set (they get ripped out in a hard hit).

You might want to get some C-hubs and uprights...but I haven't broken those yet. So far all I've killed are two front arms...no bent pins or mounts ripped out since I got the good ones.

Get an RPM front bumper and you should be set.

Oh yeah...I'm a novice with a heavy trigger finger.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: TC3 upgrades

Originally posted by billwilner
>just buy some spare parts and practice with it for few months,and then upgrade to tc4.

My question was WHICH parts. You just said "some spare parts."

Thanks,

Bill

Parts - Front and rear arms and hub carriers. RPM bumper with Trinity foam bumper. Those will probably be the first parts you break.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I'd recommend you invest in the RPM wide front bumper. This alone will save you time and money replacing broken parts.

Next, get a pair of MIP shiny CVD's to replace the composite ones up front. Use the composite in the rear only.

It wouldn't hurt to have spare front and rear arms, hinge pins (as they tend to bend real easy), steering knuckles and C-hubs.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: TC3 RTR upgrades priorities?

Originally posted by billwilner
I got a used TC3 RTR on eBay (don't even have it in hand yet!) and am looking for advice on what upgrades will give me the most bang/buck. Is there a point of diminishing returns where it would be more cost-effective to just start over with a different chassis? (like Xray)

Thanks,

Bill
TC3's are darn great cars. You will almost at every hobby shop have almost anything you need to replace part should they break. Everyone's suggestions are great. I also suggest that if you start racing that you get the titanium turnbuckles from either associated or lunsford along with the RPM rod ends. This upgrade is a very big increase over the RTR steel and very small rod ends. If you start racing them. Another good idea is to find a roller and buy it cheap. That way you'll have spare parts. Ebay is a great place to find them cheap. I've got a couple TC3's from there. The TC4 is a factor to look at also. Imagine, once the TC4 comes out everyone in the world will probably be getting rid of their TC3's. The ebay market will be flooded with them and bamm get ready for some cheap TC3's. If you're just starting out. Think not upgrading what you have think about later on when all them Factory or tricked out TC3's start flooding the Ebay market cheap. You'll save a lot of money then.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation

I agree with them your first priority is get a good bumper. RPM wide front bumper really helps you alot in preventing much damages in your car. If you really need to upgrade IMHO your shock towers as well as the shocks, next would be on the suspension parts then to the ESC get a better brand if your kit comes with the regular ESC...
Old 09-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: TC3 RTR upgrades priorities?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by calstarjig90j
Another good idea is to find a roller and buy it cheap.

What is a "roller"?

What brand shocks and springs should I get? Just the AE ones for the Team Factory car or some other maker?

What do you guys think of this set up for radio equipment?:

AIRTRONICS M8 TRANSMITTER W/BACKLIGHT #90291TXRX/90292TXRX75 (INCLUDES NOVAK RECEIVER/MODULE COMBO #2686)

NOVAK SS4300 BRUSHLESS MOTOR & ESC SYSTEM #3006

What about servo?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 09-24-2004, 08:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: TC3 RTR upgrades priorities?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by billwilner
Originally posted by calstarjig90j
Another good idea is to find a roller and buy it cheap.

What is a "roller"?

What brand shocks and springs should I get? Just the AE ones for the Team Factory car or some other maker?

What do you guys think of this set up for radio equipment?:

AIRTRONICS M8 TRANSMITTER W/BACKLIGHT #90291TXRX/90292TXRX75 (INCLUDES NOVAK RECEIVER/MODULE COMBO #2686)

NOVAK SS4300 BRUSHLESS MOTOR & ESC SYSTEM #3006

What about servo?

Thanks,

Bill
A roller is pretty much the car without any electronics/ motors. I have a couple rollers that I just if something breaks on my race cars I just pull the part right off it. About the M8, it is an excellent radio system. Simple to use, not confusing and I like that it has been around for a long time and it still is a choice over many of the latest and greatest radio systems to hit the market. I don't have the backlit version but do have the novak switch and receivers for all my cars. Its awesome to have crystal free options. Another point to consider when choosing a radio system. Crystal free systems are the way to go.