Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Eric,

I have seen your 414s... yours are the best I've seen

Will use a shorty pack, hobbywing esc and Orca 17.5. Keeping the car as original as possible, including the use of front one-way .

Please post more pics of your 414s.

Joel

Originally Posted by Eric.L
@ rccartips,

Nice Tamiya 414M!!
What electronics are you going to use?

I am running a 414
Old 10-23-2016, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You will always go faster with LiPo's.

The RCTech troll doesn't race, hasn't in years, he's just filling up this thread with B.S. because he got banned from the TC4 thread. Stories about unobtainum and unicorn farts making your car faster are just stories. Conventional wisdom is conventional because it works.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DesertRat

The RCTech troll doesn't race, hasn't in years, he's just filling up this thread with B.S. because he got banned from the TC4 thread. Stories about unobtainum and unicorn farts making your car faster are just stories. Conventional wisdom is conventional because it works.
Associated did actually make unobtainium shock shafts
Old 10-23-2016, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

But only unicorns can make unicorn farts.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Then I would assume you never used a good nimh energ4600 with the current crop of 17.5t motors... Also, if you add several of those supercapacitors inline with the nimh , the voltage drop will be almost eliminated, and when you consider that a fully charged nimh can get up to 8.8volts or higher, the lipo might lose the battle at the low amp loads seen in stock racing, as long as the total weight of your car+nimh is 1350grams... Yeah the nimh does not have the crazy 7500mah capacity, but you won't even need 2000mah for a 6minute run...
I would run a energ4600 nimh today if I had one , but they are impossible to find, and my car would need to weigh around 900gram without a battery, which is very hard to achieve in any touring car...
Lipo offers many advantages over nimh like lightweight, more energy density, lower internal resistance, and you can run them all day with no fade, but when both types are operating at their peak with all else being equal, the energ4600 nimh is very competitive .....
I have 2 SMC 4600 6 cell EnerG matched nimhs. Just stumbled across them the other day. Been cycled. They are yours just pay shipping !!!!!!

#'s Res.. 18.5
Mah 3416
Avg volts... 7.38
Run time 605 secs discarged at 20 amps/ charge 5 amp

Cell # when new
445sec
1.233 volts
I res 1.3
.9 cutoff
6 amp charge/35 amp discharge
5000 VCo ?????

Last edited by THEBIGBULL; 10-23-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by OVA
1+
What he said !!!!
Old 10-23-2016, 05:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GuyIsDamGood
Thanks for all the deep Ni-mh battery info(bertrandsv87).

I still run the Orion 4200 V-Max Ni-mh batteries in my Pro 4 and Evo 5 Chassis and they run alright. I charge them up to 8.75v. I had them since 2013. I ran them 20 times each(each pack).

Where can I get some good Orion Ni-mh packs?
Why on Earth would you bother wasting time and money even looking for Nimh batteries? I seriously cant fathom some people...
Old 10-23-2016, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, not sure. I use NiCds for other things these days. They are too hassle free to overlook.

But I would mention the Spintec charger (only ever seen one owned by some Corally sponsored driver) which charged and balanced all 6 cells at the same time pretty much like a current Lipo charger. No idea what it cost.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...-icc-small.jpg

That was perhaps the best I have seen.

I found the only advantage of NiCds was that you could completely abuse them and they would bounce back. Not at competitive level, just for bashing around. They didn't mind sitting about forgotten for years and then with a little bit more abuse they would come back to life. I use them in the radio, because I got bored of buying batteries. It was a relief when I found people still sold them and they cost peanuts compared to the latest and greatest non rechargeable AA batteries these days.

NiMh were always a pain in the butt with no real advantage apart from the increased capacity, which you paid for in fiddliness a hundred times over. I am happy they were relegated to history. Not a moment too soon.

Last edited by niznai; 10-23-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I bought a Spintec ICC when they first came out here, $699 AUD I think it was, so yes a bloody fortune, and it was right around the time the IB4200 WC cells had come out and if you recall they liked to vent / explode. Now a charger with the battery internally held, and a venting cell.... was never a great combo.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 213 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
I bought a Spintec ICC when they first came out here, $699 AUD I think it was, so yes a bloody fortune, and it was right around the time the IB4200 WC cells had come out and if you recall they liked to vent / explode. Now a charger with the battery internally held, and a venting cell.... was never a great combo.
I have one of those Spintec's if anyone is interested...
Old 10-23-2016, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Sweet mother of dorongo!

Nah, I think that is a museum piece these days. Nicely engineered (in fact over engineered if I may say so), but in the real world just another victim of technology advance.

I think you can easily re-engineer the charger to take the cells outside.

That said, I wonder if you could simply use a Lipo charger to do your Nimh cells balanced. I know the charge cycle (software) is different, but I guess if you are really determined, you can even re-write that. Not sure if needed though and it would require a balancing port on stick packs like current Lipos.

Ha! How much effort is it worth to resurrect the Mammouth?

Last edited by niznai; 10-23-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Heck maybe I found someone to buy that Xipp battery zapper thats been collecting dust all these years....
Old 10-23-2016, 10:09 PM
Tech Champion

Lots of info guys, and thanks for not ignoring...lol....
In conclusion, it came down to cost like indyrcracer pointed out, and the lipo's lightweight certainly helped my soon(November) to be raced tc4 17.5t (unobtainium rear shock shafts included)...
I did manage my nimh cells with the costly help of a battery nurse, spintec charger, and wave discharger, versus only one TP 1430C lipo charger now, and I don't need the best of today's lipo to be decently competitive...
I guess you need to have gone through the nimh era to really appreciate today's lipo relative simplicity, but nimh packs are now the best for accessories since their price has plummeted.
I am not interested in buying smc energ4600 packs guys, but please don't throw them away(lots of local racers holding on to them)... They deserve at least the respect of being known as the best racing cells of old... Cheers...
PS: Bigbull you need to charge those energ cells one last time, and do a speed test between them and your best lipo in a 17.5t tc, just to prove who's faster.... Post us a video....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 10-23-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat

Seriously, he got banned from the TC4 thread? I wish they would either ban him from all threads or restrict him ONLY to the TC4 thread. Jibberish is all he posts.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by corallyman
Seriously, he got banned from the TC4 thread? I wish they would either ban him from all threads or restrict him ONLY to the TC4 thread. Jibberish is all he posts.
They only banned him from bench racing in the TC4 thread from what I've heard, but since he isn't actually racing, that's close to the same thing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.