Like Tree38Likes

Old 05-13-2016, 05:27 AM   #451
Tech Elite

Location: Beneath a rock down by the river. Don't have money for van
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
My favorite RCTech thread.

I actually had to put my old JRXS Type R back together, I had intended in earnest to buy a new car but I don't race TC that often and couldn't justify the cash. What's funny it that I use a steel battery tray in the car that as it turns out wasn't exactly flat anymore... I had a very low-tech way of dealing with this involving standing on the plate, the concrete flood ledge in my garage, and a hammer. Worked great.
oops

Do you feel something is holding your performance back in any way?

Last edited by 30Tooth; 05-13-2016 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Seen you are using a shorty...
30Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #452
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Tooth View Post
oops

Do you feel something is holding your performance back in any way?
I would say that the car has some inherent drawbacks compared to new cars, some of them can be worked around but others can be a more serious drawback depending on conditions. One of which is that the chassis is very wide and therefore will drag on high grip without excessively hard swaybars, also the car will not accept a full-size lipo pack, the only option for the rear diff is a ball diff that can be a little inconsistent, the car seems to only perform well with what I consider an excessive amount of rear toe-in, and a few other issues. The car can and has run well, even good enough to get third in amateur touring at the last IIC, but it lacks some of the situational tuning options that new cars have. I am pretty sure I would go faster even with a $250 VBC Ghost Carbon.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #453
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
...also the car will not accept a full-size lipo pack...
I had a full-sized LiPo in mine. I used a small steering servo with the shaft pointing up, re-positioned on the left side of the chassis. I used servo tape to stick the side of the servo to the aluminum bulkhead that separates the main chassis and the upper deck, and the bottom of the servo to the main chassis. It worked out really well.

The lack of a gear diff was a bigger problem that I never solved.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #454
Tech Champion

Forget about full size lipos, get a lcg pack instead.... The fgx f1 is the only grossly overweight(150+grams over) car I find hard to lighten, but I wonder whether lighter is better in a 2wd rubber race... Maybe just losing only 90grams might be the solution... I got alot of weight shaving to do guys.....Cheers....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #455
Tech Elite

Quote:
I would say that the car has some inherent drawbacks compared to new cars, some of them can be worked around but others can be a more serious drawback depending on conditions. One of which is that the chassis is very wide and therefore will drag on high grip without excessively hard swaybars, also the car will not accept a full-size lipo pack, the only option for the rear diff is a ball diff that can be a little inconsistent, the car seems to only perform well with what I consider an excessive amount of rear toe-in, and a few other issues. The car can and has run well, even good enough to get third in amateur touring at the last IIC, but it lacks some of the situational tuning options that new cars have. I am pretty sure I would go faster even with a $250 VBC Ghost Carbon.
I am intrigued by it's design. Unfortunate to hear about the compromises, the more I read the more the Team Magic E4 seems the "better" car regarding the centralized battery location. Still, I think a car designed around a central shorty battery has it's place.

Well, I'm selling my old hobao in the hopes of getting a Yokomo mr4tc-sd (the plastic tub chassis one). Getting the SSG version would be the realization of a dream and a miracle
Old 05-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #456
Tech Addict

Quote:
Well, I'm selling my old hobao in the hopes of getting a Yokomo mr4tc-sd (the plastic tub chassis one). Getting the SSG version would be the realization of a dream and a miracle
A dream? Miracle? Well... I actually still have the Yokomo SD SSG - and since I almost immediately converted it to the Rayspeed chassis way back then in 2003/2004, I still have the original SSD chassis, stiffener, top deck and shock towers, plus some other parts like motor mount, diff housings, plastic suspensions mounts, battery guides and one or two tuning parts (not in the picture) lying around here, unused... and no intention to actually use these parts ever again.

So even though I'm not selling the whole car or kit (I'll keep the running car in its Rayspeed form), maybe it's enough to convert something else to that dream / miracle of yours. PM me if interested.
DirkW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #457
Tech Champion

With all the lcg lipos and shorty packs nowadays, anybody can make them fit a JRX-s type R without the endless mods of old...I am sure the car will respond accordingly on the track too, even with a not so skilled amateur driver...lol....
Quote:
I am intrigued by it's design. Unfortunate to hear about the compromises, the more I read the more the Team Magic E4 seems the "better" car regarding the centralized battery location. Still, I think a car designed around a central shorty battery has it's place.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #458
Tech Regular

Had a couple yoke ssg's. Had the LCG conversion on one with a real stiff main chassis I had made. The car was awesome as a foam carpet car

Last edited by magnum; 05-13-2016 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Mistake
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:39 PM   #459
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
With all the lcg lipos and shorty packs nowadays, anybody can make them fit a JRX-s type R without the endless mods of old...I am sure the car will respond accordingly on the track too, even with a not so skilled amateur driver...lol....
I suppose that you just kinda know what size lipo will fit under the rear bulkhead and between the rear drive pulleys? Exact width and height?
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:08 PM   #460
Tech Champion

I just found out that Lrp and Arrowmax came out with super shorty lipo packs... 2600mah Lrp(132g) and 2800 arrowmax.... No need to squeeze packs between pulleys anymore fellas: Not needed !!! I just found the perfect pack for my fgx.... Thanks guys, pros, Desert, etc,....
Old 05-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #461
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkW View Post
A dream? Miracle? Well... I actually still have the Yokomo SD SSG - and since I almost immediately converted it to the Rayspeed chassis way back then in 2003/2004, I still have the original SSD chassis, stiffener, top deck and shock towers, plus some other parts like motor mount, diff housings, plastic suspensions mounts, battery guides and one or two tuning parts (not in the picture) lying around here, unused... and no intention to actually use these parts ever again.

*snip*

So even though I'm not selling the whole car or kit (I'll keep the running car in its Rayspeed form), maybe it's enough to convert something else to that dream / miracle of yours. PM me if interested.
Yeah, I'm negotiating a trade to get the plastic tub SD. PM'ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
Had a couple yoke ssg's. Had the LCG conversion on one with a real stiff main chassis I had made. The car was awesome as a foam carpet car
I will be racing rubber tires along the lines of USGT.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #462
Tech Elite

As much as some of these old designs appeal, when all the new stuff follows a pretty set configuration there is usually a good reason for that.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:04 PM   #463
Tech Champion

The bottom line is usually the main reason. All others are secondary....
Old 05-16-2016, 05:54 AM   #464
Tech Initiate

I have just seen this thread and it got me thinking. I raced a couple of Tamiya cars recently in the Iconic Cup, a couple of meetings run roughly to the old Tamiya Eurocup rules from the early 2000's. It was at one of the best TC tracks in the UK, WLRC. It is a purpose built tarmac circuit.
I fancied a little dabble again, but the best of my 2 cars a Tamiya TA04 (13.5 blinky) will be very outclassed. I do however still have a TC3 I raced in the 27 turn Stock class at the track many moons ago. This would be a bit better than the Tamiya I would imagine. The two likely classes I would be interested in are 17.5 and 13.5, not sure if they are blinky or not to be honest. Most popular tyres are Sorex 28 and 32.
Which of the two classes do you think it would best suit?
Thanks
stueys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #465
Tech Regular

Yes older cars can still be competitive.
Castle Creations( Since April 2016)
bmag5000 is offline   Reply With Quote