Search
Like Tree630Likes

Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The difference is the weight low on the chassis in addition to the time the Awesomatix team has put into testing their car... If you do the same to the other cars, you will get similar results on the track.Look at it that way: if you fit the WTCC shocks(2grams) on your losi/dc4 le, you will have about the same low CG mass on the chassis as an Awesomatix minus the shocktowers(15grams or so)... The shocktowers will not slow you down much though, when you consider that all the other new cars still compete with the A800 with the old style heavy shock designs... I would hope that WTCC would change his motor to a 17.5t to test his innovation against an Awesomatix A800 until his Lrp esc comes back, and I will bet that his car will come out on top...
Originally Posted by DesertRat
I dont know about Bertie, but at a glance I can see a big difference between my Losi, my DC4 LE, and an Awesomatix A800 that I want to buy.

But that's just me.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Aren't those things kind of terrible in every way? If you're a good driver you can make anything look pretty good but why a TL01? It's made of the same stuff as Tamiya Mini's.
Shorty battery makes weight centralized more so than modern tc design while keeping left/right balance. Motor more inwards as well. Narrow width and high camber link angle gives good lateral traction. Stock gear diff filled with oil smoother that TRF diffs.

I love mini's and this is the closest touring car design to it, maybe that's why
Old 03-27-2016, 03:10 AM
Tech Addict

Would the TL01 be a good indoor carpet car, small tight track, for those reasons (above)

Our local outdoor track is now gone
Indoor racing is on a basketball court size track , just wasnt fun (for me) .
Driving something like the old TL against the latest carbon fantastics would be kind of fun , and give me an excuse for poor lap times

How did you get a shorty lipo to fit the TL batt bay?
Old 03-27-2016, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Yep! Lower polar moment of inertia. It really is a cool car. I wish they'd have come out with something better than the HMX. Not much else on the market had fit and finish as good as the Phi, nor does today.
I think you're stretching the application of polar moment of inertia a little bit there buddy...
Old 03-27-2016, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

Having owned a T L01, I can't imagine any situation containing average drivers where it would competitive.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

The TL01 is stretching it a bit.

I've seen guys race Tamiya TB-04's and have fun with them, but that's a much more recent car.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Anyone race a Cyclone TC in USGT?
Old 03-28-2016, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikel33
I think you're stretching the application of polar moment of inertia a little bit there buddy...
How so? The shocks are ahead of the rear axle vs. behind it, and definitely aren't the lightest part of the car.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
How so? The shocks are ahead of the rear axle vs. behind it, and definitely aren't the lightest part of the car.
hmmm. i would guess the key is where is your axis? I have always worked with polar moment of inertia in relation to torsion. I was imagining an axis down the longitudinal centerline of the car - where the shock position relative to the axle shouldn't have an effect? If your axis were 90 deg to that, splitting front and rear of the chassis, then I would agree because the mass of the shocks are closer to that centerline, effectively changing the cross section of the car.

And now my head hurts from drawing that out of what passes for my memory bank, right or wrong.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikel33
hmmm. i would guess the key is where is your axis? I have always worked with polar moment of inertia in relation to torsion. I was imagining an axis down the longitudinal centerline of the car - where the shock position relative to the axle shouldn't have an effect? If your axis were 90 deg to that, splitting front and rear of the chassis, then I would agree because the mass of the shocks are closer to that centerline, effectively changing the cross section of the car.

And now my head hurts from drawing that out of what passes for my memory bank, right or wrong.
Yep, the second one.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racenut123
Anyone race a Cyclone TC in USGT?
I am locally in Dallas, TX. To keep up with the Xrays, you will have to switch to 48 pitch gearing. Also, 3 Racing makes 19T pulleys that you can get and use to drop your FDR to 2.05 if you stick with the 64 pitch gears.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Default Cyclone TC ?

Now Im going to have to use the Google to see what this car looks like
Old 03-30-2016, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
Now Im going to have to use the Google to see what this car looks like
They look pretty cool. It was before all the cars basically looked the same.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

If anyone is still running an older xray T1 FK05 I have tons of nib parts.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

The TL01 is stretching it a bit.

I've seen guys race Tamiya TB-04's and have fun with them, but that's a much more recent car.
TL-01's are also extremely limited in the gear ratios that can be used. Given that they were designed in the brushed motor days, I don't think you'd be able to apply the proper gear ratios to get the brushless motors rpm in the right range.

That and the fact they are one ton of plastic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.