R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #316
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
Hey Losi Type R faithful, I'm prepping a car for a friend with the goal of squeezing in a full size pack.

Of course one of the main issues is pulley clearance. I ordered a couple of the 3Racing pulleys which are available in about every size you could ever need. Luckily the Type R shaft is metric at 4mm, and the pulleys are made for a 4mm shaft.

This is the pulley. Unfortunately I bought them out! But they can be had on ebay etc.

https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod....asp?p_id=5250

And yes the Losi uses a 3mm belt pitch like the 3Racing pulley.

It is then just a matter of shimming it to fit your pack and using the E-clip on the spur side. The pulley secures via a set-screw. So set your clearance and then attach the pulley (I recommend Dremeling a flat spot once you have the distance set) and you're good to go!

I also had to mill the motor mount bulkheads about 1mm. But it doesn't need to be done that fancy and could be done with a belt sander or Dremel. I'm using a steel tray that I also milled down (It's at about .7mm thick now and weighs about 60 grams). I don't have a plastic one available to check clearances with.

With a LRP flow, low profile airtronics servo, full size transponder, SMC 6000mah pack and Team Scream 17.5, and liteweight Mazda its at 1395 grams. It will have a fan and super cap so I will need to get a plastic tray or take some more material out of the tray.

Long story short, for about $10 and 10 minutes you can solve the layshaft clearance issue....

Mike Slaughter
And that folks is how you keep a car you like alive! Kudos Mike,well done!!!
Old 11-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #317
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
Long story short, for about $10 and 10 minutes you can solve the layshaft clearance issue....

Mike Slaughter
Very cool. A good alternative to shorty pack and mounting the ESC behind the pack. My car is a few pages back as I raced it at the IIC, but I just picked up another Losi Type R and I just might have to give this option a shot.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #318
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Xray folks only race the newest Xray car in serious competition... I race my tc4, and beat every single one of their new cars... I'm loving it !!!lol!!!..... If I get beat, it's usually my fault, not the tc4's fault....
Show us some videos or we wont beleive you.
alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #319
Tech Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
Show us some videos or we wont beleive you.
Dont think he'll be posting on here for the next month.
2uzferunner03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #320
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03 View Post
Dont think he'll be posting on here for the next month.
That will be disappointing, he's quite amusing. Especially now he's suspended
Old 11-05-2014, 02:51 AM   #321
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I like Bert bring him back.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #322
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't worry, we'll have more stories of cars that run on unicorn farts, unobtanium, and the power of positive thinking soon enough.

In the meantime, does anybody have an extra Losi Type R Exotek top deck? They seem to have gone extinct.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #323
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

My plan is to draw up a chassis and top deck here in the near future. I will likely have Bezerk cut them.

I also have a broken losa3318 and realized those are impossible to find as well. So, I plan on contacting one of our suppliers to have some aluminum or Delrin ones made. I would like to draw up a spool version that has provisions for keying to the pulley. Basically instead of the inner face being keyed for a diff ring have it keyed (using something like the Losi screw in dowels) to key into the diff ball holes.

Now that I think about it, it could be easily made to be dual purpose.... But it would also require pinning to the diff tube.

*Shrug* maybe an aluminum one will have enough clamping force to make a good spool regardless?

Here's an example of an Awesomatix chassis I scanned and drew for some guys.

Mike Slaughter
Attached Thumbnails
Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-chassis.jpg  
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #324
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Don't worry, we'll have more stories of cars that run on unicorn farts, unobtanium, and the power of positive thinking soon enough.

In the meantime, does anybody have an extra Losi Type R Exotek top deck? They seem to have gone extinct.
Sorry don't have the Exotek top plate but the rest of your statement is pure gold my friend.....pure gold!
Old 11-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #325
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Seems to be a lot of die-hards trying to keep the Losi cars going, which is great. I'd much rather purchase a few specialized parts designed to future-proof the XXXS & JRX-S then just abandon the platforms. Very good cars still in the right hands. Driving being the key.... absurd levels of spending and modifications do not equal an instant winner. Unless you're "you know who"...just sayin'.

Long live the Losi TC