Search
Like Tree630Likes

Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

TC4 with a Shorty

I was looking at the current trend in 4wd buggies running with a shorty pack opposite of the motor. I decided to try this with my TC4. Then I want to decide if I should run it in VTA or UGST. What do you guys think?

Old 08-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Do you guys think that the trend of super-flexible touring cars is starting to reverse? My old touring car has all the flex of a piece of steel and doesn't seem to perform the worse for it.
Congrats on the excellent race result. I would be lucky to make the B main this sunday. Yes I do notice that the older cars with centered motors do not need as much flex as todays cars with offset motors and batteries. Currently I am running my dinosaur racer with a 2.4mm thick chassis, and it still has lots of traction. I do not think the trend will reverse, modern cars seem to need a lot of flex.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Looks great angrymelon and JustWill 75! I love when people shovel dirt on these older cars and then proceed to get beat by them!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Do you guys think that the trend of super-flexible touring cars is starting to reverse? My old touring car has all the flex of a piece of steel and doesn't seem to perform the worse for it.
Flexible chassis? Colin Chapman would roll over in his grave if he heard this nonsense. If a car needs a flexible chassis to work better, it's an indication that there's something wrong with the suspension. It is much better to fix the suspension than to cover up the problem with chassis flex.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by howardcano
Flexible chassis? Colin Chapman would roll over in his grave if he heard this nonsense. If a car needs a flexible chassis to work better, it's an indication that there's something wrong with the suspension. It is much better to fix the suspension than to cover up the problem with chassis flex.
howardcano, there is a reason why rc cars need flex unlike real cars. the scale weight of a RC car is 100 times less than a full scale counterpart, when it should only be 10 times less. And the scale speeds that a 1/10 achieves is very high.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alcyon
howardcano, there is a reason why rc cars need flex unlike real cars. the scale weight of a RC car is 100 times less than a full scale counterpart, when it should only be 10 times less. And the scale speeds that a 1/10 achieves is very high.
No, scaling doesn't work like that.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Actually 1/10 scale works like this: divide mass by 1/10/10/10 for all three dimensions, so that's 1/1000 the mass, meaning that if you had a 1400g 1/10 scale R/C car it's the equivalent of a 1.4 metric ton full size car, or about what a professional touring car weighs.

I do believe that the Mi5 Evo is stiffer than the original, which was a exceptionally wet-noodle car. A friend of mine bought one (Mi5 Standard) early in the production and when I picked it up to look it over in the pits for the first time I thought it was broken in some way!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by angrymelon
Won some club races with this recently.

This is one of the fastest cars/drivers at the track!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Tamiya TA04.

Still places in top three every race at my club for the last 2 years.

Races against Xray,Team slowass,Spec-R,Sakura.

Also the only car that is Tub chassis.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

One thing that strikes me as a potential reason for the soft-chassis being a potential advantage is that for how much they weigh, touring cars run quite hard spring rates and swaybars to prevent unplesant things like the chassis dragging and traction roll.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

well ok, I wouldn't want to argue about that here. anyway, just finished rebuilding shocks, re checking camber and tweak, my car is ready to race. Hope it does not rain and I hope I wont screw up.

of all the pics of cars on this page, there seems to be a lot of us using shorty packs !
Old 08-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Here are some pics.

I actually 3D modeled the Fan mount and battery straps in Solidworks and printed them out in 3D. Same type of material as RPM stuff.

Love this car, I have owned quite a few, but always go back to the TA04
Attached Thumbnails Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-photo-1.jpg   Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively-photo-2.jpg  
Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Managed to find a unopened Tech Racing MEDUSA EX MY07 kit. This kit was ahead of it's time and it's in blue.

I've looked at the Alex Racing Barracuda R2 and it looks like a nice kit...

Which one, which one.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

In the sweltering heat ..all that can go wrong has gone wrong. I consistentky clocked slower and slower laptimes as the heat progressed. My car was oversteering and it wsd difficult to drive. I suspected the tyres were the culprit. Rides re32 preglued. My suspicions were confirmed when a racer who drove a bd7 complained of the same thing.when he changed to another set his car was drivable. And this guy is always in the a main or top of the b. Today he ended up in the c ...just like me. So his opinions do carry weight.
i ended up qualyfying second last in the c main. My main will come up soon and i changed to new tyres. Lets see if the car performs better. Well just bad luck again for me.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
Managed to find a unopened Tech Racing MEDUSA EX MY07 kit. This kit was ahead of it's time and it's in blue.

I've looked at the Alex Racing Barracuda R2 and it looks like a nice kit...

Which one, which one.
The big question is which one can you get spares for? I love my Barracuda, but parts are scarce.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.