R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #166
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
What I found out was that it's not the old car chassis that got beat, but rather the charger/battery/motor combo .... Once those are upgraded, the old cars are right in the mix....
By the way, December 2012 is not old OK !!! Give a man his due when he's done well against so called better competition !!! Stop hating!!!
When you call it "so called better competition" isn't that you hating on belt cars??? Just looking for clarification but honestly it's always gonna be 90%driver and 10% car.Go ahead and bash me to death for daring to state that but part of the reason his car looks so dialed is because if you watch the video he doesn't overdrive the corners and obviously knows where to run his line according to his set up.The floor is all yours let the bashing begin........
skater-deez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #167
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I unfortunately felt I had done all I could with my Pro4. For a while I had set the fastest single lap at my track with it. (I couldnt run consistant laps through a whole race). The car was on rails and everyone that drove it loved it. They said it was so easy to drive fast. But... I took a month off and see my lap time beat by .3 -.5 by several people. When I looked at the chassis they had, all of them were running chassis less than 3 years old. I just dont think the geometry is there, thats prob why the tcxx isnt fairing as well (unless hara was driving it). I am sure the car had more to give, I just couldnt pull it out of it. I think with some minor refinements that a shaft drive, particularly the Pro4, could destroy the other cars out there. Low pro shock towers and shocks, gear diffs, and modern lipo chassis could make the car a beast. I do wish the best of luck to those with pro4's and other older chasiss and hope to see them in front of me on the track. Make me regret my decision to get newer car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
Did you run the Exotek lipo chassis on the Pro 4?
I'm running the Exotek Chassis on my Pro 4 - huge improvement over the factory chassis with the battery cutouts.

Having run the car for 5 years in VTA, I could say the following: The car could benefit from a gear diff, but running a spool in the front and the ball diff out back hasn't been a hindrance. As stated previously, the LiPo chassis was a huge improvement. The largest obstacle I haven't been able to address is the shocks - functionally, they're pretty good at performing their job; however, my current setup leaves very little upward suspension travel because there's roughly 8mm between the bottom of the shock body and the shock retainer. The car is quick for what it is, but requires a gentle yet aggressive approach to turn fast laps.

The other thing to consider is that I went WAAAAY out of the traditional setup box to get the car to work on both carpet and asphalt, and both setups are drastically different. I'd try a different set of shocks, but then I'd have to go back to the drawing board to figure out the proper dampening again. Considering the car is one shattered gear case away from life as a parts car, I'm going to avoid reinventing the wheel and simply run what I've got until the replacement chassis is ready.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #168
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
Did you run the Exotek lipo chassis on the Pro 4?
Yeah I had the exotek. I thought it was great, and it helped. But it is one piece to a large puzzle. I would really like to see something like the DLE for the TC4. I know its unlikely since HPI/HB no longer supports the chassis. It would be awesome if HPI released an updated version as direct competition to the VBC Ghost. They could even sell theirs with wheels and tires. :O:O
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #169
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Yeah I had the exotek. I thought it was great, and it helped. But it is one piece to a large puzzle. I would really like to see something like the DLE for the TC4. I know its unlikely since HPI/HB no longer supports the chassis. It would be awesome if HPI released an updated version as direct competition to the VBC Ghost. They could even sell theirs with wheels and tires. :O:O
I think I have one of your old Pro 4's... purchased via (big wave) dave. Exotek chassis, and shell for USGT (grey / green). Was searching through some old Pro 4 threads and it seems to match one of your posts from the past.

What surface did you run your cars on? I'm maybe going to use the car for asphalt VTA.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #170
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well Skater, so called means that the belt car guys branded themselves better from the start without any solid performance to back it up, but just the number of wins their belt cars had while they accounted for 95% of the total entries. They teamed up and bashed the shaft cars so much it should be a ”Rc hate crime”....lol... These guys pushed belt more than a Macy's shopping cart on black Friday...lol... Now that the Awesomatix, and some tc4's are claiming a few trophies, it's panic time !!! How many new beltdrive cars hit the market in the last two years???? Too many !!!!
And no, I won't bash another fellow Rctech racer, I'll just try to open his eyes to the ”deception”.... You'll know the deception went full circle when Xray comes out with its shaftdrive car....lol..... It's shaft, then belt, then shaft again, .....who's getting shafted here??? Get the picture????
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #171
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Yeah that was mine. I ran it on concrete and carpet. I found some left over diff parts i dont need anymore. PM me and we will talk more about it.
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #172
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Well Skater, so called means that the belt car guys branded themselves better from the start without any solid performance to back it up, but just the number of wins their belt cars had while they accounted for 95% of the total entries. They teamed up and bashed the shaft cars so much it should be a ”Rc hate crime”....lol... These guys pushed belt more than a Macy's shopping cart on black Friday...lol... Now that the Awesomatix, and some tc4's are claiming a few trophies, it's panic time !!! How many new beltdrive cars hit the market in the last two years???? Too many !!!!
And no, I won't bash another fellow Rctech racer, I'll just try to open his eyes to the ”deception”.... You'll know the deception went full circle when Xray comes out with its shaftdrive car....lol..... It's shaft, then belt, then shaft again, .....who's getting shafted here??? Get the picture????
Your absolutely correct another good example is Associated they sucked me back into the hobby with the tc3 and then my tc4 and then.....a series of dual belt cars? I had no idea there was an ongoing war between drivetrain factions....jesus is this what the hobby has come too? All i can say is put a redcat tc in the hands of the worlds best drivers at a local club race and after he smokes everyone see how many of those pos cars are at the track next week. I absolutely loved my shaft cars but ultimately went belt because I didn't feel like there was any real advantage one way or the other.I still think it's all about the driver,equipment can make a difference but largely it's skilled driving that wins most races.The driver in that video was pretty much spot on in his driving techniques so he made the other cars which could've been all shaft drive(who knows/cares)look silly.
skater-deez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #173
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater-deez1 View Post
Your absolutely correct another good example is Associated they sucked me back into the hobby with the tc3 and then my tc4 and then.....a series of dual belt cars? I had no idea there was an ongoing war between drivetrain factions....jesus is this what the hobby has come too? All i can say is put a redcat tc in the hands of the worlds best drivers at a local club race and after he smokes everyone see how many of those pos cars are at the track next week. I absolutely loved my shaft cars but ultimately went belt because I didn't feel like there was any real advantage one way or the other.I still think it's all about the driver,equipment can make a difference but largely it's skilled driving that wins most races.The driver in that video was pretty much spot on in his driving techniques so he made the other cars which could've been all shaft drive(who knows/cares)look silly.
And there you have it folks. The B (vs.) S debates get really old. Just run what you want to run. Works for me.... I like 'em both.