Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
M04M Alfa Gullia Sprint or M03 Mini Cooper? >

M04M Alfa Gullia Sprint or M03 Mini Cooper?

M04M Alfa Gullia Sprint or M03 Mini Cooper?

Old 03-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Default M04M Alfa Gullia Sprint or M03 Mini Cooper?

Which one do you think will be more competitive for the Tamiya Cup Mini Class? The Alfa (58307) is RWD and probably faster overall but harder to drive, where as the Mini (58211) is FWD and should handle well right out the box.

Trying to decide which one to buy...
Old 03-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Mo3 or mo3l Hand down.....alfa looks cool but m04 not so cool.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by racenut123
Mo3 or mo3l Hand down.....alfa looks cool but m04 not so cool.
Why not? This is the newly released Alfa, not the old one based on M02 chassis...
Old 03-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Check the previous TCS results. Winners in the M-Chassis class have been M-04L entries. It's got a lower Center of Gravity than the M-03 and uses standard touring car tires.

The three 17, 19, 21 pinion gears give ballpark rollout numbers of 1.18, 1.32 and 1.46 inches.

The M03 assembles with a 20 tooth pinion and only offer 18 and 16 tooth as gearing options.
Attached Thumbnails M04M Alfa Gullia Sprint or M03 Mini Cooper?-m04l.jpg  
Old 03-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info. I think precisely because of the unfair advantage of the gear ratio, this year it is limited based on the chassis you are running so the wheel size does not matter as much. I think the bottom line is FWD vs. RWD and the center of gravity.

Still not sure which to run...
Old 03-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've owned and raced the MO4L, MO4M, MO3, and MO3L (as well as the earlier MO1 and MO2 cars). Right now, I'm happiest with the MO3L: it has more stability on the straights than the short MO3 and seems to corner pretty much as well as the short car on most tracks. Over the past year, using an MO3 car I've entered seven TCS races in mini with the following results: second, third, fourth, seventh, eighth (at the Nats), fifth and second. So three podiums out of seven tries, plus making the A at the Nats- not bad.

I really liked my MO4M Miata -that's the same as the Alfa. Problem in TCS is the gearing disadvantage vs. the MO3. If I could run the big pinion with the rear drive car, it's the one I'd pick. With the smaller pinion you really have to have a nice high RPM motor and some high voltage cells to do the job. Otherwise you'll wind up getting passed on the straights. Having said that, an MO4M won in Wisconsin last month, and maybe in PA last weekend too- Willie Wong used to run a rear drive car, I think. But in Georgia, it was all MO3's...and they were FAST!

I know that Dan Garber won the Nats with an MO4L two years ago, but despite a lot of effort I've never been able to make that car work as well as the small tired cars. And you seldom see one doing well at the TCS.

You also make a good point about the FWD car handling pretty well right out of the box, while the rear drive cars take some work to get them settled down.

Later
Doc
Old 03-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Doc. The TCS format here (in Taiwan) specifies a set gear ratio for everyone, so that should put all on the same playing field. The Alfa is also running the same smaller wheel as the Mini.

Given that, would you still pick the Mini over the Alfa?

Thanks!
Jeff
Old 03-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Doc the 04L was definately not my choice when I won. I wanted the 04M so bad it hurt but the gearing rule killed that car. I ran the 04L due to it haveing a slight gearing advantage and the better rubber with the 26mm tires.

Shhhhh the secret of the 04L is not the rumored regeared boxes that I had. Nor was it Erik's super cells that were about the same as a fresh set of Stock Metal Hydrides. It was droop and 2mm of extra ride height in the left rear shock. The rear has severe tweek in it due to the offset motor. The droop stops it from lifting its hind leg in the turns. I had great speed with the car but a severe traction roll off the big sweeper at TA the droop limited this and it was serious corner speed from there on out.

If the gearing is lifted at your local track the 04M is the only car for Mini competition.

Oh Jeff if they have a specified gearing make sure it is by ratio and not by pinion the gearboxes do not accept the same pinion and you will be disadvantaged with the 04( always 1 tooth smaller)
Old 03-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Oh Jeff for the list of must haves for the M03 is universals. Ball diff and bearings. PAst that it is all preference I like the Alum shocks due them being smoother and less maintenance.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks very much Dan. Appreciate your help on the subject. I will know in a few days what is the gear they specify for the chassis and that will provide additional information for the decision process. Just out of curisity, what is the internal ratio on the M03 and 04 and what was your FDR for the Tamiya track?
Old 03-28-2004, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Uhhhh yeahh sorry, I am not sure. I am sure someone has it for the internal.
For the gearing I ran it was 19T on the 04L and 21on the 04M the 03L runs a 20T for its largest.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default But wait there's more

New for april. The Eunos(miatia) is BACK!!!

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html

To bad its been nuetered with bad gearing rules.

Last edited by tomdav; 04-12-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: But wait there's more

Originally posted by tomdav
New for april. The Eunos(miatia) is BACK!!!

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html

To bad its been nuetered with bad gearing rules.
I know, I saw that too. However, no crippling gear rule for TCS in Taiwan. The bad news is looks like I am gonna miss it on account of business travel--after all the work preparing the car. Rats.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dan are their any tranny mods besides the ball diff that need to be done to help the car. I just got a 04m for this winter and would like to set it up properly.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Not really I used the carbon shafts in the box not really necessary but it is weight. When I built the car I took to worlds I put the box only together and let it run at 2-3v for a looooooooooooooooooong time. If only to seat the gear faces to each other good.

Use white lightning on all of the gears also nothing else for lube. Troy bucked up and put a set of Acers in his 03L for Nats this year and the thing free spun for ever with a tiny push. I also used universals just to make sure that all the rotating bits could not bind at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.