Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boost is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why do so many sponsored guys run stock? I thought stock was meant for beginners and unsponsored drivers 17.5 non boosted is fine for the stock class 40c max on batteries good idea also. Stock was not meant to be ballistic it was meant for beginners/unsponsored drivers
Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

17.5 isn't the only motor to use boost with, so there's no reason for boost to ever "die". I put a 10.5 in my car and boosted the crap out of it. Probably the most fun I've had on the track in awhile. Easy driving in the infield plus mod speeds on the backstretch.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dmatter
Why do so many sponsored guys run stock? I thought stock was meant for beginners and unsponsored drivers 17.5 non boosted is fine for the stock class 40c max on batteries good idea also. Stock was not meant to be ballistic it was meant for beginners/unsponsored drivers
Sales.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The way i see it is you take the boost out then people will cry about things being to slow just like people cry about things being to fast. Its a never ending cycle.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Sales.
I wonder if all the sponsored guys in stock is what killed on road and the sales of on road cars?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

I wonder if all the sponsored guys in stock is what killed on road and the sales of on road cars?
Maybe, maybe not. Probably a different discussion all together, but...

The word "stock" has little relevance anymore. For the moment I believe that it's up to local clubs and what they want to do. Blinky, no blinky, whatever. I know my local track is doing the senior-spec class with the silver cans. I call that (closer to) stock. I like the sound of mod more and more.
Regional Moderator

To the people mentioning off-road, do they complain in 1/8 scale nitro buggy about stock/modified engines, or the class being too fast? Unless a track has a sportsman or novice class, everyone runs together and lets skill level sort the mains out, right? Why does it have to be any different in on-road?

Man, this is starting to sound like an argument for only having open class, where you run whatever you want and hang on. Want to run 21.5 blinky? Or 4.5 boosted? Fine. Nobody wants to admit that they can't setup their car or can't wheel it. They want to place blame on the equipment, but as stated before, the fast guys will always be fast, and the slow guys will be slow.
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

not.true. novice is meant for the beginner.

Question, I work at hobby shop, I get a 40% Employee discount on everything. Am I sponsored?

I do half way decent at a big race in stock, chassis maker A says hey, you wanna run for us we'll give you 40% percent off the price of a chassis and parts. Am I sponsored? What's the difference.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by skypilot
not.true. novice is meant for the beginner.

Question, I work at hobby shop, I get a 40% Employee discount on everything. Am I sponsored?

I do half way decent at a big race in stock, chassis maker A says hey, you wanna run for us we'll give you 40% percent off the price of a chassis and parts. Am I sponsored? What's the difference.
The guys at Hobbytown get a discount and I KNOW they belong in stock I think if you are good enough for a guy from Top or Corally to come up to you and offer you a ride you probably belong in Modified and reserve the unbearably slow 17.5 non boosted for an unsponsored guy.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It didn't kill off-road.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What about the guy that wins the lottery or makes a bazzillion dollars and can afford anything. Is he allowed to race in stock ?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
To the people mentioning off-road, do they complain in 1/8 scale nitro buggy about stock/modified engines, or the class being too fast? Unless a track has a sportsman or novice class, everyone runs together and lets skill level sort the mains out, right? Why does it have to be any different in on-road?

Man, this is starting to sound like an argument for only having open class, where you run whatever you want and hang on. Want to run 21.5 blinky? Or 4.5 boosted? Fine. Nobody wants to admit that they can't setup their car or can't wheel it. They want to place blame on the equipment, but as stated before, the fast guys will always be fast, and the slow guys will be slow.
Agreed. 3 classes at all on-road races. TC, WGT, and 12th scale.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe

1/8th scale off road is an "open" class so they dont have internet drama. They do have the "sportsman" for beginners/unsponsored drivers. I race off road at crcrc we run either open or 17.5 non boosted it is great because the fast guys cant stand how slow the 17.5 cars go so they have to man up and race mod. 17.5 non boosted is perfect for stock by the way!
Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

17.5 non boosted is perfect for stock by the way!
In 2s classes, sure. In 1s 12th scale, it's a joke. That's why we need different rules for the vastly different chassis.

I am personally, totally unconcerned with the direction of the TC rules. I don't run the class, so I hope what is best for them is what comes to light, FOR THEM. Since 12th scale is actually growing in many areas at the moment under the existing rules, I wish ROAR would just leave it alone.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by miller tyme
Anyone that thought boosted was bad is fooling themselves. Sure blame Tekin or Black Diamond, but I'm highly competitive on my 3 year old RS and equally 3 year old Duo 1 that has never been over heated......

enter non-boosted, motor temps sore, battery c rating is more important in stock since your pulling massive gear and timing right out of the turn rather than gradually applying it. Locked motor timing, yeah that worked well ask the guys from the first brushless snowbirds how many motors were advanced past the 'physical' limit.

And why the hell mess with 13.5 ??? Blinky was being toted as 'making stock easier to drive' If you think you good enough to run 13.5 then I doubt programing an ESC is beyond your means, or do you still run 12th tires at the diameter they are from the package or still have the box stock set-up on your touring car, remember racing is all about equality and everyone gets a participation ribbon

It is just another example of the can nots needing an excuse, I got beat by better drivers than I, not by more horsepower, now if I run blinky I'll be beat by deeper pockets.
Pretty much my view, but we've just gone to 10.5 blinky for our 12th Stock class in 2011/12 season.

Which brings up and interesting thought... If the Stock class was 10.5 blinky, and it is possible (as it is) to run a boosted 10.5 in Open Mod, then wouldn't that be the ideal compromise on cost and technicality? Anyone can get into 10.5 blinky using any modern speedo, but when they want to move up to Mod, they simply change the speedo setting and they're in.

The problem here is, for me, that Stock was never, ever an equal class. Going right back to the days of 35T Mabuchi motors in 12th, there has never, ever been a level playing field. Any dreams that going blinky will change that situation is working in cloud cuckoo land. The big advantage of boost is that it levels the motors, and taking that away will make motors more of a factor.

Much of this stems from the fact that boosted speedos make cars harder to drive. Non-boosted speedos return the throttle feel and make cars easier to drive. If, despite the motor factor, cars are easier to drive, more people will race. Isn't it the case that this is what we want so our tracks can remain open?

Instead of arguing the rights and wrongs of a technical detail of our sport, shouldn't we think about the bigger picture? If, as others have suggested on here, blinky makes cars easier to drive and could get us more racers, isn't that where we should focus our efforts? And if we want to make the transition to the 'shizz' as easy as possible, isn't it the case that we should have 10.5 blinky as Stock, and then people can go boosted for Mod with the same motor?

If any one of these posts came with a proposal to your National Association that changes are made, they'd have value. As it is they are narrowly focused on some technical details that go nowhere close to getting us any more racers. Shame. Just my 2c...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.