Wiki Posts
Search

Boost is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Boost is Dead

Nearly a year and a half ago, I proposed the idea of spec ESC profiles. This was during the time after IIC'09 where the Black Diamond debuted, and before Tekin 203 when we suspected the game was about to change. I took a thorough beating in that thread, but I'm barely bitter at all.

Anyway, I predict Reedy will be the last big on-road race to include boosted classes. So, what happens now? Here's some things to ponder:

1. How will the ESC manufacturers differentiate themselves now? Smoothness? Customer service? I'm glad they'll have to find something other than timing to focus on.

2. Who were the winners during the boost era? Who were the losers?

3. Will the "problem" shift to getting the best batteries and motors?

4. Will there be any use for boosted profiles anymore?

5. Do you feel bad for companies that are just now getting their ESC's competitive with Tekin? All that time spent on programming and R&D, just a bit too late.

6. Will companies like KO re-emerge with their ESC's now that the technology has stabilized?

I don't have answers, just opinions. Let's hear yours.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

#3 ... its gonna be a great way for vendors to make $$ again! I will be burning up motors like crazy! I cannot wait!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
#3 ... its gonna be a great way for vendors to make $$ again! I will be burning up motors like crazy! I cannot wait!
Motors are cheaper than buying motors and speedos for every big race you go to!! LOL

EA
Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

When trinity locked timing motor comes out then it will even out the playing field but until then ramping or non-ramping you can still manipulate the motor. I run at Norcal Hobbies this past weekend just playing around with non-ramping class and I'm not kidding their is a damn 17.5 motor that was stupid fast they did something on that damn motor that's for sure..

That's why I like MOD I know if I get beat I know for sure the other driver is better than me it's not because he has a better motor and some vodoo software that only team driver have access lol..
Old 04-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default hmmm

Originally Posted by hanulec
maybe they can change the quals to 5 minutes and you'll finish without a KabooM...
Old 04-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

I think like real F1 it is not possible as some computer guys would come out with some sercet software........ my 2 cents......
Old 04-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Nearly a year and a half ago, I proposed the idea of spec ESC profiles. This was during the time after IIC'09 where the Black Diamond debuted, and before Tekin 203 when we suspected the game was about to change. I took a thorough beating in that thread, but I'm barely bitter at all.

Anyway, I predict Reedy will be the last big on-road race to include boosted classes. So, what happens now? Here's some things to ponder:

1. How will the ESC manufacturers differentiate themselves now? Smoothness? Customer service? I'm glad they'll have to find something other than timing to focus on. Yes

2. Who were the winners during the boost era? Tekin Who were the losers? Everyone without a Tekin

3. Will the "problem" shift to getting the best batteries and motors? No the problem will be everyone that used not being able to "Program their speed controls as good as the next guy" will now use the excuse they don't have the motors or batteries to compete. When 99 percent of the time driving and setup wins races.

4. Will there be any use for boosted profiles anymore? Not in onroad if they are totally phased out.

5. Do you feel bad for companies that are just now getting their ESC's competitive with Tekin? All that time spent on programming and R&D, just a bit too late. Too little too late, plus these companies have ruled mod worldwide during the boost era.

6. Will companies like KO re-emerge with their ESC's now that the technology has stabilized? Time will tell

I don't have answers, just opinions. Let's hear yours.
Will the IIC have 4 classes all unboosted and different motors?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

::anticipates melt::
Old 04-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I feel like all "spec" racers suffered the most. We were just fine running 13.5 with TC Spec's and SPX's. Then we all had to buy new ESC's and 17.5's just to go the same speed as 13.5, except now things were way harder to drive, and you needed a netbook and a lot of time to get things right. Remember when it was just 13.5 in the middle hole with 5.0 FDR?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

those were the days...I have receipts for 10 speed controls since then to prove I am faster. I mean poorer
Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

boost may go away at big races, but what about the club races, those are what matter not the big ones. I've ran, 21.5 non boosted, 17.5 non boosted, 17.5 boosted, 13.5, and Mod at "big" races, it really doesn't matter to me, its all fun.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

We also need locked timing motor in order for the playfield to be level.

It's pointless to have non-timing ESC with motor cranked to 60 degrees timing.

I ran my Cirtix combo with Ultra Sportsman V2.0 (zero-timing) and the motor simply could not keep up with other "non-boosted" motor because of their advanced timing. Later I changed to the motor to Speed Passion Competition V3.0 and I immediately gained at least 0.5-1.0 second out from 12 second-lap without any setup change.

Currently I have the following:
1. Speed Passion Cirtix Stock Club Race with Ultra Sportsman V2.0 17.5R Motor
2. KO PROPO BLZ-350 with Timing-Locked 17.5T Motor

I have not ran the KO motor because I know it couldn't keep up with those timing-advanced motors even in non-boosted class. Even Speed Passion and Trinity are coming out with sealed, locked endbell, zero-timing motor.

I hope the new "True Spec" class would take off and bring more people back to on-road racing.

If everyone wants to go fast, simply run mod class would suffice.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The last thing anyone around here wants to do is get rid of boost.

The last blinky race lap time differential between first and last in the A main, 2 full seconds (and the last place guy is a very good driver).

Differential in boosted TC, about half a second.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

We should just dump all the stock classes and run Mod
Old 04-19-2011, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Boosted class should run as mod. Like real car, turbo or NA.

Then Spec means Spec, non-boosted ESC and non-timing adjustable motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.