R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-18-2004, 08:38 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by jkerr0043
The nationals are just that, the nationals. You're racing for a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! That means if you win you're the BEST. Are we going to have a Factory national champ, Sportsman National Champ, Novice National Champ? I think not. You go to nationals to have a chance to race WITH the best in the nation.
I have to agree with that. 1 Nationals and spec tires to keep competition closer.

This whole "restructuring" of factory, privateer blah blah blah just doesn't work.

Dom
Old 09-18-2004, 08:42 PM   #47
Tech Adept

Quote:
The nationals are just that, the nationals. You're racing for a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! That means if you win you're the BEST. Are we going to have a Factory national champ, Sportsman National Champ, Novice National Champ? I think not. You go to nationals to have a chance to race WITH the best in the nation.
Ok that being said Jon and Dom why is there a Masters class at the nationals????
sponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 08:47 PM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You got me. Probably to keep some of the big names from a few yeas ago at the big races and in the magazines.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 08:58 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That'll be a question for ROAR to answer. I don't know the history good enough about the Master class at all.

My guess is probably the same concept as PGA and senior PGA.

Dom
Old 09-18-2004, 09:08 PM   #50
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I think you guys are a little off base on why nationals races exist. They exist for two major reasons:

#1) Promote the companies and their drivers in the R/C media. Manufacturers send their teams to these events to get press and (more or less) advertising for their products. Racing is still a small segment of the market on the whole, but even the 'basher' or hobbyist will respond favorably to seeing a national title next to a company's product. For example, suppose you were a brand-new enthusiast and you know that, say, Losi and Associated are perennial winners, so if you were looking to buy a sport-level kit, would you be more likely to buy an AE or Losi product over Brand X? You bet.

#2) Promote the hobby itself. Holding competitions is (or should be) one of the absolute best ways to get the word out about R/C in general. Most everybody knows what an R/C car is but very few realize that they are as advanced and fun to drive as they are; these aren't the "toy cars" that most people think of.

The reason other classes such as Stock, Masters and whatnot are all present at Nationals events is to give the average non-factory driver a place to compete. Everybody wants to have a shot at a national title, for sure. But the Factory Mod class *is not* the place for a local or unsponsored driver to compete. Yes, they can probably manage a decent finish if they are good enough, but the race is not and should not be geared towards those people--that is what the 19T, Stock, etc. classes are for.

Being able to run "with" the Pros is great, but I am 100% happy going to a race and competing in Stock or 19T, and then sitting back and enjoying the high-level racing in mod. I dont think that opening up the mod class for non-pro drivers should ever be something to work for; if anybody is good enough to belong in that class, they should have no problem proving it at the lower level.

This whole thing relates, of course, to the spec tire debate. I can see both sides of it; I actually think that if one or two companies gain an advantage from a particular tire compound, that's a positive. Really, how is that ANY different from one or two companies having a better motor, a better battery pack, or a better car? Or better tuning knowledge? If Yokomo finds out that a particular insert trick works well, what in the world is wrong with that?

On the other hand, finding the right tire can be a real pain for anybody, pro or amateur drivers alike. I do think that spec tires are a necessity for every division BUT the pro mod level; for that, I think a little of both would be nice. But that's just me.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:14 PM   #51
Tech Legend

120 entries.....

100 of um sponsored driver`s .......

Its turn into a sponsored racer National....

to me anyways....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:49 PM   #52
Tech Master

Quote:

You said it...it's the NATIONALS...you gotta pay if you wanna play. At that level I'm not understanding the money issue.

A. If you're that good your sponsored.
B. If you're not that good...welcome to the F-main.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:51 PM   #53
Tech Adept

I enjoy racing rc cars I like the challange of it, I enjoy the people you meet the laughs in the pits and on the drivers stand ( who doesn't) but I also know my limitions. I will never be a sponsered driver, don't get me wrong I can put down some fast laps just not consisently and thats what it takes to be come a fast guy in stock, or mod. I think alot of the top drivers out there today not olny worked thier tails off to get where they are, but also have a natural ability to drive. Why do you think their olny 2 dozen or so guys that always make the A Mian Ifmar or Roar.
sponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:11 PM   #54
Tech Adept

What's not to understand about the money? Some people have a ton of skill and not a lot of money to throw around on tires that may be useless to them. People are acting like all the non-sponsored drivers are dumping thousands of dollars on plane tickets and suites at the Hilton to go to the NATS. If that were the case, yeah spending hundreds on tires would be a drop in the bucket. Reality is that a ton of the non-sponsored drivers drive 12 hours or more, split the cheapest rathole of a room they can find 5 ways, and eat balony sandwiches for six days straight. Money IS a factor. To people that fall into this category, non handout events DO cost twice as much. If money wasn't a factor most of us would be racing real cars, not toy ones.

Quote:
People aren't born sponsored are they? Don't they generally have to beat the sponsored guys before they get sponsored?

I've never liked the idea of a seperate factory class. If I wanted to race against the average club racers, I could just stay at home. I think there are way too many classes allready. SirSpeedy's comments sum it up pretty nicely.
Bodido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:28 PM   #55
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by DerekB
You said it...it's the NATIONALS...you gotta pay if you wanna play. At that level I'm not understanding the money issue.

B. If you're not that good...welcome to the F-main.
Money is not why I like the spec tire rule. I like it because it steamlines things in an already hectic situation. I wouldn't like having to mount up 8 different combos of tires and inserts and try and figure out what ones work best and at the same time try and get the chassis working, seeing what body I like, etc... There's only limited amounts of practice time. I like to know what tire I'm going to be using and work around them. Like I said, it's one less variable. I see your side about it stunting the development of new, better tires. But I also know what it's like trying to get yourself and your car fast at a big race. And the fewer things you have to worry about getting right, the better off you're going to be.

My statement about the National championships was aimed at those wanting to split the classes. Not particularly at the tire debate.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 06:27 AM   #56
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Some of you seem to think I am bashing your opinions and i am not. As I said, I see the way I would think is ideal but ROAR says different, but I race anyway. It's a fact that everybody will always feel differently about it. And those of you that have an opinion I will not change that, so it's cool.

I personally think the idea of a control tire for stock, 19T and open tire for mod would be great. Like Derek said, this is the most prestigious class there, it should involve some work to see who is the best physically and knowledgably.

Not that NASCAR is a god, they have made there fair share of bonehead mistakes this year, but there idea has merrit. They limit the trucks and Busch cars to a certain amount of tires for the race, to manage competition and to control cost for the not so fortunate teams. In the Cup series, welcome to the big leagues, there is no tire management, change them when you want. The "premier" series in my opinion just as the modified class is to R/C. Because these guys are factory, they will receive an ample supply from the tire manufacturer, who can then just recycle the unused tires if they are not ran.

As futural mentioned, the factories are there for publicity and marketing. A company will supply tires in hope that there product wins, just as AE, Losi, Xray, etcc pay for the teams to compete hoping for the same thing.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:02 AM   #57
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to GTIRACER

I like the spec tire in general because way back in the 90's i started to get in to touring car racing and Proline came out with a premounted tire set that costed 60.00 a set and at our track it was a huge advantage and they didnt last long(s3 compound i think). As much as I loved it, im not rich and long with batteries and motor of the week it took the fun out of it for me.

Now 9 years later im giving it a try again, the Cs 27 seems to work at a lot of places and it holds up well and they are not 60.00 one run tire sets.
You car has enough tuning options that you should also need to have the "HOT" tire of the week to compete. My 2cents
GTIRACER is offline   Reply With Quote