R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Motor seized!! Off LHS advice (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/504585-motor-seized-off-lhs-advice.html)

theatriks 04-18-2011 03:45 PM

Motor seized!! Off LHS advice

Hey guys so the guys at the local hobby shop told me to spray my silver can with hpi motor cleaner and then oil the stone shaped piece in the motor and it will help the motor last longer and i would notice an improvement in performance....so i did that and now the motor is seized ... wtf!! was there advice wrong ...did i do something wrong?

AUSSIE BOB 04-18-2011 03:52 PM

right

I would say you received the correct advice, however,....maybe your application of that advice was not carried out correctly. After the spray of the motor which should be OUT of the car, wipe over with a cloth and then the brass bearings (Stone thingos) are oiled with one drop of oil each, maybe you used a gallon, seek help with someone at the track.
AUSSIE BOB

theatriks 04-18-2011 04:01 PM

Thats exactly what i did and i dont think i over oiled them it was a drop i put.....if u do over oil it that causes the motor too seize?

peter george 04-18-2011 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by theatriks (Post 8982740)
Thats exactly what i did and i dont think i over oiled them it was a drop i put.....if u do over oil it that causes the motor too seize?

did it really seize or did it suck up some kind if a metal that lodged itself between magnets and armature.?

theatriks 04-18-2011 04:25 PM

well i cant turn it over at all at all so im assuming its seized .....i mean i could have sucked up a piece of metal just how will i know ....crack it open?

CSaddict 04-18-2011 05:37 PM

Its a silver can. They are disposable. Buy another one.

theatriks 04-18-2011 05:48 PM

ya im already stocked up on silver cans im just making sure thats the proper advice and also to try to figure out what went wrong

Stregone 04-18-2011 05:56 PM

Make sure you break them in first. They will last longer and perform better.

chensleyrc1 04-18-2011 07:21 PM

You most likely have something lodged between the magnets and armature. Maybe a screw or washer? Cleaning and oiling your motor will make it last longer and have better performance.

theatriks 04-19-2011 10:59 AM

ya guys its turning over again thanks for our help i guess theres was something caught in it .....im a newbie what do u want from me lol

PitNamedGordie 04-19-2011 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by theatriks (Post 8987132)
ya guys its turning over again thanks for our help i guess theres was something caught in it .....im a newbie what do u want from me lol

Keep asking questions...that's the only way you'll learn some of this stuff.

trerc 04-19-2011 01:05 PM

Yep, and as mentioned, best way to maintain silver can motors is to remove them from the car after racing for the day, hose them out good with motor spray and put a drop of oil in both the top and bottom bushing, reinstall and it's ready for the next day of use.

snoopyrc 04-19-2011 01:28 PM

I don"t know what its called but there used to be these cans of motor cleaner that you would dip the motor into while it was running. It would churn that stuff black and gurgle it around. Then we would pull them out and after it dried we would use "Comm drops". God only knows what that stuff was or what it did. Soften the brushes, Lube them, both.

infokiz 04-19-2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by snoopyrc (Post 8987726)
I don"t know what its called but there used to be these cans of motor cleaner that you would dip the motor into while it was running. It would churn that stuff black and gurgle it around. Then we would pull them out and after it dried we would use "Comm drops". God only knows what that stuff was or what it did. Soften the brushes, Lube them, both.

CRP used to make a product like that and I believe you can still get it on ebay.

Andy Koback 04-19-2011 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by theatriks (Post 8987132)

Great! Now the question is, whatever was caught in there, did it fall out or is it still in there floating around waiting to get caught again??? Could be something as a small stone pebble. Be preparred for it to happen again. Like about 15 seconds to go while leading the "A" and it locks up dead!!! :cry: