R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Front end geometry (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/5044-front-end-geometry.html)

jcr 05-07-2002 04:37 PM

Front end geometry

well I'm trying to be cheap so I don't have to buy the Hudy setup system but I do want that.
What is a good and cheap way to measure the toe on that car?
How to measure caster?

I already have a RPM camber gauge, and planning to get a droop gauge soon. But also want to measure the toe so i don't mess up and the car tracks to one side.

Speedo 05-07-2002 05:10 PM

For toe, just eyeball it. If the car tracks to one side, just set the trim on your radio, it only takes a few seconds. No idea how to measure castor.

jcr 05-07-2002 05:14 PM

well one side can be pefectly 0 and the other might be a little off and it still will start going to one side

Speedo 05-07-2002 05:32 PM

Yeah, but it is overall toe you are going for. Say you want 1 degree of toe out per side. Maybe you end up with 2 on one side and 0 on the other (you can't tell where the servo center is when the car's off) so you put the car on the track and it goes to one side. Move your trim the other way until the car runs straight, and you have 1 degree per side.

Speedo

jcr 05-07-2002 05:56 PM

well i guess but no accurate way to measure it? the last race i was at, there no time inbetween to practice so i couldn't really make can changes inbetween heats because it can screw up a lot on the car that's why i want to see if i can get a way to measure before heading onto the track.

Alvin 05-07-2002 06:29 PM

jcr,
I use RPM's toe gauge, but in any event I too aim for both left right equal. What I do is by measuing the length of the adjustable joint with calipers, so I can ensure that the left and right are same.

eg, I run ta04, I usually measure the free space between the 2 ball cups, for me as long as there's 11.5mm of space, i'll get my desired, 0 degree :) But yes I do that with the help of my toe gauge first, hths.

Speedo: Would the ackerman be affected if the front wheels aren't symmetrical?

Speedo 05-07-2002 08:25 PM

no, you only have to trim the car a very little ammount, and ackerman doesn't really come in to play until the wheels are about half way turned.

Speedo

ZER01 05-12-2002 01:19 AM

jcr, for $30 at Stormer hobbies you can get a Racetech Touring car alignment gauge(toe, camber). Haven't seen it so I can't comment on it.

michael b 06-16-2002 09:01 PM

toe

i use a ruler to measure toe. i measure the distance between the front of the front tires and compare that to the distance between the rear of the front tires. i then adjust both tie rods equally until the distances are equal. this is 0 degrees toe.

psycho 06-18-2002 04:12 PM

Re: toe

It's still a lot easier to use a setup guage to get the toe right. If you use calipers or measure the distances between the forward and back sides of the tires, you don't really see what is happening under driving conditions. Usually there is some slop in the steering, so your front toe has a tendancy to change under throttle and braking. If you get the setup guage kit, you can put the blocks on the hubs and see what is happening much easier and you don't have to worry about a bent rim or a tire that isn't quite mounted correctly. Integy also makes a guage set that should be around $60 from your LHS or www.integy.com. It really is a good investment if you want to get your car set up perfectly. Once you use it, you won't regret spending the $$ for it.

Another "must have" setup tool is a tweak station. MIP makes an inexpensive one (around $40,) Integy has a laser tweak station that sounds pretty trick and there are others as well. If you have threaded body shocks, a tweak station is a must have, IMO. :cool:

Sydewynder 06-18-2002 11:12 PM

Re: Re: toe

Originally posted by psycho
It's still a lot easier to use a setup guage to get the toe right. If you use calipers or measure the distances between the forward and back sides of the tires, you don't really see what is happening under driving conditions. Usually there is some slop in the steering, so your front toe has a tendancy to change under throttle and braking. If you get the setup guage kit, you can put the blocks on the hubs and see what is happening much easier and you don't have to worry about a bent rim or a tire that isn't quite mounted correctly. Integy also makes a guage set that should be around $60 from your LHS or www.integy.com. It really is a good investment if you want to get your car set up perfectly. Once you use it, you won't regret spending the $$ for it.

Another "must have" setup tool is a tweak station. MIP makes an inexpensive one (around $40,) Integy has a laser tweak station that sounds pretty trick and there are others as well. If you have threaded body shocks, a tweak station is a must have, IMO. :cool:

I whole heartedly agree with psycho :nod: :nod: :nod:

michael b 06-19-2002 10:44 AM

i agree those guages are nice, but imo $60 is not cheap, sometimes you can find people at the track with these guages who will help you set up your car.:D

Bitoy 06-20-2002 07:51 AM

just eyeball it

then run the car and adjust the trim on your radio, that;s the perfect way to measure your toes

( i mean your car's toes):lol: