R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Choice of stock motor.....need help (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/50427-choice-stock-motor-need-help.html)

Solara 09-16-2004 10:33 AM

Choice of stock motor.....need help

Planning to do some stock motor racing on my Pro 4....and I have 2 choice to choose from...

(1) Trinity Monster Horsepower Stock Pro Motor

or

(2) Epic Binary 2 Outlaw Stock Motor

Which one is better for stock foam racing...? Or is there a better one out there that I am missing...thanks.

fatdoggy 09-16-2004 12:04 PM

Your fogetting the Epic Roar Stock. The MS has more Torque and the RS has more rpm.

calstarjig90j 09-16-2004 12:54 PM

Trinity moster stock pros are excellent motors for stock racing. I picked one up with numbers like rpm@ 22,800 power@69 watts efficiency at 47% torque@103 I've cut it about 7 times and it still screams.

Speedyjay 09-16-2004 12:58 PM

http://www.rccars.com/forums/forumdi...?s=&forumid=19

Research the MS and the BS motor... (the BS has a good name huh?)

Your best bet will be a p2k2 that is geared properly (to the moon that is), just my opinion though.

Im running a MS that was rebuilt by Team Br00d, still not sure if I like it, as I still dont think Ive hit the right gear yet (very hard motor to gear right)

Ive never been happy with Monsters anyway... like trying to say a hyubusa motor would make my 4-door sedan scream since it runs way more rpms then my stock car engine.....when was the last time you heard someone brag about miniscule powerbands

calstarjig90j 09-16-2004 01:04 PM

For most of my monster stocks I gear between 22 and 25 tooth on 48 pitch gears with my TC3 72 tooth spur. 26 and above gets really hot which will most likely fry the comm quickly. Tight small technical tracks I usually use 23 pinion. Tracks like so cal in huntington beach I usually use 24 pinion.

seaball 09-16-2004 01:26 PM

these very open ended questions get very opinionated answers, but you should do well with either of the newer two magnet offerings from trinity. ie,

- monster stock
- roar stock

the roar has more rpm, and i have seen a wider, more gentle powerband from it on the accellerometer type dynos. we have turned very similar laps and runs with both motors. i like the roar better, but the difference between the two seems small.

i don't know of any other legal 27t motor that will truly run with these two.

usually you can get the answer to your question by looking at the products that aftermarket tuners are offering. right now, it is really only the two motors i mentioned. just like smc who won't even match the new sanyo 3600's, most tuners won't waste their time tuning inferior motors. a good person to ask is either, eric anderson of ea motorsports, or brandon of paradigm.

seaball 09-16-2004 01:28 PM

oh, and hello murphy.

fatdoggy 09-16-2004 01:29 PM

Imo the MS is very easy to gear. I run a 25-27mm rollout with a TC and it's always fast. The BS was harder to gear then the monster.

Speedyjay 09-16-2004 02:15 PM

What about EddieO of Br00d? or dare I say it .....Big Jim...who's forum I just gave you.....

Yes these are very open ended, and hard to answer without empowering yourself with some knowledge. Start off with what the "hot" track motor is at the track you are going to....then worry about the "best" motor when you get some good tunning knowledge under you.

I also hate when everyone starts spitting up gear ratios/roll outs etc. ....each motor is going to be different, even with similar motors you can get a huge varience of what gearing to use. Just use your track times as a guide, move up and down from there, agian use your own knowledge/input as your situation will always be different.....

These posts are almost as bad as "which is the best touring car?"
bottom line is any choice you've given will be competitive, you just have to find "your winning combo"....

Oh and hello Stormy

Solara 09-16-2004 02:59 PM

Originally posted by fatdoggy
Your fogetting the Epic Roar Stock. The MS has more Torque and the RS has more rpm.
Good to know that , I will take a look...thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

Solara 09-16-2004 03:04 PM

Originally posted by seaball
these very open ended questions get very opinionated answers, but you should do well with either of the newer two magnet offerings from trinity. ie,

- monster stock
- roar stock

the roar has more rpm, and i have seen a wider, more gentle powerband from it on the accellerometer type dynos. we have turned very similar laps and runs with both motors. i like the roar better, but the difference between the two seems small.

i don't know of any other legal 27t motor that will truly run with these two.

usually you can get the answer to your question by looking at the products that aftermarket tuners are offering. right now, it is really only the two motors i mentioned. just like smc who won't even match the new sanyo 3600's, most tuners won't waste their time tuning inferior motors. a good person to ask is either, eric anderson of ea motorsports, or brandon of paradigm.

Yes...I agree, like everytime I have ppl asking me what is the most powerfull fastest engine to use for on-road racing....I will usually ignore those question.

Well, I think what I want to know is........are those MOTOR ok for a electric newbie like to me run for stock foam racing @ places like Novak Challenge or such....? Again, I am No A-MAIN or B or even C main electric guy..........but I just want to have a good motor to start.........

When I saw "calstarjig90j" posted his opinion.........those are WAY WAY too far for me to understand.......I barely know how to charge my batteries and forgot to clip my battery down on my car twice on the main last sunday........

Thanks for you help.....

Nrctc3 09-16-2004 04:34 PM

Both motors are an excellent choice. Axiom Motors offers both of those motors, but they are tweaked for top power. Prices are very good too! www.AxiomMotors.com

The Black Kat 09-16-2004 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Speedyjay
when was the last time you heard someone brag about miniscule powerbands
I was thinking that was my speed control's fault....huh, huh

Anyone try the Matrix Stock?

Speedyjay 09-16-2004 05:12 PM

Rookie, basically most any of the suggested motors will keep up with the pack, as well as....the Epic P2k2 and Yokomo MVP.

Just pick up the most popular one at the track you race at, and ask a lot about tunning and maintenence.

Stay away from trinity "Pro" motors, usually a waste of cash. The dyno numbers (what calstar was saying) rarley mean anything, and the brush hoods are usually always misaligned, and a shimmed motor means they stick one shim in the top and let the com bounce all over :rolleyes: .

Best thing you can do is pick up a similar motor from anouther builder, that actually trys to do it right. Fukuyama, Fantom, Paradigm, Team Br00d.....all sell great products, and do a great job trying to tune the assorted Yokomo and Epic motors on the market.

Dont be too concerned with all the mumbo jumbo, just try to learn about keeping the motor in top shape, which is the prime concern in stock racing.

If you havent done so already, then go to Big Jim Greenmeyer's (ex-trinity R/D guy and general jackass we all hate to love) motor Forum and read up http://www.rccars.com/forums/forumd...&forumid=19
He tells it like it is and if you follow his advice you will never be disappointed. You will learn more then you ever even thought existed about R/C motors on that forum.

Chill Will 09-16-2004 05:29 PM

http://www.eamotorsports.360k.com/ea_home.html

Enough said. :nod: