R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Getting back into touring cars after 8 years. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/504119-getting-back-into-touring-cars-after-8-years.html)

jordanjester 04-17-2011 04:58 AM

Getting back into touring cars after 8 years.

hey guys, im new here but whats up?
i quit racing when i was around 12 so cut me some slack,
i want to start racing again because i guess my local hobby town is putting a track in.
i have an xray t1 and no money for a new kit.
i might be able to get an mi1 but i don't know yet.
I really really want to use my t1, i feel in love with it when i got it and after pulling it out of the box after so long i still love it haha.
any advice?
i don't have a lot of money, but i still have all my electronics and things like that
so, yeah?

any help would be very cool.

JRXS_chris 04-17-2011 05:03 AM

My advice; get to the track and have a great time!

Don't worry about what everyone else is running or if you're way off the pace. Try to beat yourself (whether by decreasing your lap times or reducing errors during a run).

If you enjoy it, then start to think about possibly working out how to fund new gear.

Welcome back! :nod:

trerc 04-17-2011 05:06 AM

Best thing to do is go down to the LHS and see what their gonna be running as far as classes go and go from there. I will tell you straight up that you would be better off in the onroad scene going with a spec type buget oriented class like VTA or if they plan on running some offroad getting into a box stock short course class or whatever. I can assure you that you batteries and electronics are waaaaay behind the times. Good luck

jordanjester 04-17-2011 05:07 AM

thanks you lol
thats what i was thinking,
i just wondered if i would have a problem making a t1 relevant in 2011
and in the end, it really is about having fun.

jordanjester 04-17-2011 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by trerc (Post 8976625)
Best thing to do is go down to the LHS and see what their gonna be running as far as classes go and go from there. I will tell you straight up that you would be better off in the onroad scene going with a spec type buget oriented class like VTA or if they plan on running some offroad getting into a box stock short course class or whatever. I can assure you that you batteries and electronics are waaaaay behind the times. Good luck

thanks, as far as classes i'm going to be running open mod.

jordanjester 04-17-2011 06:29 AM

Also, are there any good brushed 10-8 turn motors out there?

hanulec 04-17-2011 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by jordanjester (Post 8976630)
thanks, as far as classes i'm going to be running open mod.

I was in total agreement that your T1 would work until you said open mod. Not having a lot of $$ and open mod don't really go together. I'd recommend u look into one of the "blinky" 17.5 or 13.5 classes. I don't know how available T1 parts are these days... but your going to need a lot of the. Brushless motors are MUCH faster than brushed.

niznai 04-17-2011 08:04 AM

Whilst I wouldn't say a T1 is old, you might find the readily available spares can be taxing on your racing time. Open mod is on the other hand very tough on cars. You'll need lots of spare drivetrain components to keep the car running through a weekend of racing. If you're good with your hands and imagination though, you might be able to adapt a lot of current parts to fit your car though. If you've got the nitro style hubs and associated driveshafts though, they'll be a pain. Another point is you really need the new ECS driveshafts if you're going to use a front spool (which is pretty much the standard in mod). Without those, you're bound to have a lot of grief with the front end transmission.

That being said, with patience and a lot of inventivity, I think it can be done. Money will help though.

alcyon 04-17-2011 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by niznai (Post 8977195)
Whilst I wouldn't say a T1 is old, you might find the readily available spares can be taxing on your racing time. Open mod is on the other hand very tough on cars. You'll need lots of spare drivetrain components to keep the car running through a weekend of racing. If you're good with your hands and imagination though, you might be able to adapt a lot of current parts to fit your car though. If you've got the nitro style hubs and associated driveshafts though, they'll be a pain. Another point is you really need the new ECS driveshafts if you're going to use a front spool (which is pretty much the standard in mod). Without those, you're bound to have a lot of grief with the front end transmission.

That being said, with patience and a lot of inventivity, I think it can be done. Money will help though.

i drive a car as old as the T1, and i use front ball diffs, i have absolutely no durability problems or handling problems as well, with my front diff tighter than rear, i am able to brake hard and still not lose rear traction. No broken diffs either. go to my blogspot to see my cars setup with saddle packs, its listed on my signature.

jordanjester 04-17-2011 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by hanulec (Post 8977030)
I was in total agreement that your T1 would work until you said open mod. Not having a lot of $$ and open mod don't really go together. I'd recommend u look into one of the "blinky" 17.5 or 13.5 classes. I don't know how available T1 parts are these days... but your going to need a lot of the. Brushless motors are MUCH faster than brushed.

well, parts may not be a problem for a while. i have 3 rolling t1s one was for carpet one was for road and the other a spare i was already running mod before i quit so the cars are set up for running mod already but you are right, and i have no idea how i would get parts after i run out. i do have a brushless system i had bought before i quit but i never really used it it's a novak 5800 super sport, not sure if that would be enough these days?

any word on the mi1? i really want to buy one.

trerc 04-17-2011 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by jordanjester (Post 8977582)
any word on the mi1? i really want to buy one.

Don't waste your money, unless your just into collecting dated touring cars...

jordanjester 04-17-2011 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by trerc (Post 8977702)
Don't waste your money, unless your just into collecting dated touring cars...

well, yes i am into collecting apparently dated cars, i was just thinking it would be a step up from my t1?

UrabusDenis 04-17-2011 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by jordanjester (Post 8977738)
well, yes i am into collecting apparently dated cars, i was just thinking it would be a step up from my t1?

T1 is better ;) I drive it , was 2nd today ;)

locked 04-17-2011 11:05 AM

I don't think any of those frp chassis kits with crappy shocks, would be a step up. Spend your money on some new or new but used electronics.

If you really want to change the chassis, you would be better off searching the buy/sell threads for a lightly used, only slightly outdated car.

My friend yesterday, using a t2'009 in 17.5 super stock, beat some very fast guys, including a national champion. :nod:

He had that car up for sale for weeks for less than $200 and no one wanted it. lol

jordanjester 04-17-2011 11:08 AM

[QUOTE=UrabusDenis;8977824]T1 is better ;) I drive it , was 2nd today ;)[/QUOTE

will do then :]