Wiki Posts
Search

Discharger/Equaliser Shootout.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Discharger/Equaliser Shootout.

Looking at getting a tray for my cells, the three ive shortlisted which i can get and look suitable in the UK are the Rayspeed, Novak and the Much More. The rayspeed and novak seem almost identical, with the novak having slightly more features, but costs a bit more. Does the much more tray have cut off, or is it just guess by the LED brightness what voltage the cells are at?
Oh forgot to add, they need to be suitable for use with corrally connectors on the packs.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:14 AM
Tech Elite

I agree with you, the Novak dont offer much more than the Rayspeed - except for a techno look and a higher price. Personally, I dont find it worth spending the extra cash, I tend to say it's more about preference, than actual performance.

The MuchMore aint got a auto cut off.

I find the Rayspeed is the one with most value for money. But I also suggest you check out the Robitronic: 1 amp discharge rate (fixed), 0,8 volt auto cut off and control LED's to ensure that each cell is connected properly. The price is reasonably. So if you dont need the 5 amp discharge rate, you can save some cash.

www.robitronic.com
Old 09-16-2004, 01:24 AM
Tech Regular

i also went through this same thing for about 2 months. I knew I eventually needed a discharger but didn't know what to get. I finally decided on the Novak and here's why:

1) The variable cutoff is cool. You never know when they will say 0.7 is better for cutoff. For 20$ extra, that's a little security.

2) Novak tells you "LP" when the generators at the track are on low power. This helps me detect false peaks.

3) Novak has a huge heat sink on the back of the device which I plan to attach 2 computer fans. The Rayspeed has a fan which runs underneath the unit and tries to suck air out. I doubt that the small fan can generate much vacuuming pressure.

4) Novak has simple snap-in posts. I tried the Rayspeed and the Novak was a little more convenient and easy.

5) The Novak wasn't too much more expensive than the Rayspeed for all these features. It comes with an AC wall mount which I enjoy and will use at the track to check generator power rather than going straight through my power supply.

Donovan
Old 09-16-2004, 04:50 AM
Tech Elite

Hi Donoman

I'd say, that your arguments are clear, insted of statements like "I prefer the XXXXX." or "The YYYYY is better. Period.".

Personally, the 5 things you point out, dont mean much to me, but with this kind of arguments people have the needed info for decision.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ordered the novak, i figured that for the extra £15 i might as well as you say in point 1. When 3900's or whatever are all the rage they might recommend a different voltage to discharge to. Thanks guys