R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-15-2004, 10:00 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
Default False peaking after using Novak discharger...

I'm totally new to RC and some things just don't seam right.

Ok, I got good matched GP3300 packs and one Sanyo 3600.

My charger is a MRC 969 with a 25amp Radioshack power supply, the stock one blew up after 1 month (this saturday).

They would charger up fine using the 969 discharge. Now that I'm using the Novak tray to discharge to .9 they false peak all the time! Usually they get about 600-1700 mah before stopping. What I do is restart the charger and all is well.

If I take the false peak mah and then the other charge they fill up to where they should, about 3900 for the 3300 packs and 4100 for the 3600 packs.
EVOIIIM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:10 AM   #2
Tech Master

If the packs sit for almost any amount of time between charges many matchers recommend putting about 100 seconds of charge back into the pack before storage after traying the packs, then traying the packs again just before charging for the next race. From what I hear it's not good to leave the 3300's with very little charge between races, it seems as though they lose voltage when they sit, and there in lies the problem.
wagonman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:41 AM   #3
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I discharge my practice packs to .9 on my Novak and I dead short my race packs... dead shorted packs will false peak (I use "long lockout" on my GFX to eliminate this) but my .9 packs never false peak. I would have to think your charger is the problem... but as long as you know you have to keep a eye on them there really isnt a problem.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:44 PM   #4
Tech Adept
Send a message via Yahoo to lastplace

Since you already have a power supply check out a used pit bull, great little charger with a 10 minute lockout. I have 2 and love them. Also you will be able to charge at 6 amps.
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:31 PM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i agree i think you charger is the problem and not anything else

unless you have a pack with a bad cell or something
Chris08527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:46 PM   #6
Tech Adept
Send a message via AIM to g_bruin Send a message via Yahoo to g_bruin

The MRC 959 is notorious for false peaking. I wouldn't be surprised if the 969 also had some of those problems although you would have hoped they would have fixed it since they added a fan to keep the charger cool
g_bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:06 AM   #7
Tech Elite

This process might prevent the false peaks:

Store your packs with just a little juice in them. The night before the next use of the pack, put them on the equalizer. Take them of, when equalized. Let them rest over night. Then charge them immediately before next race.
Schumacher Mi5 - Sanwa MT-4 / RX-462 / KO Propo PDS-2123 - Nosram 5600 X-treme Saddle Pack - LRP SPX Zero/X12 17,5 - Nosram Stealth Touch Evolution - MAAS SPS 9250
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:05 AM   #8
Regional Moderator

We already experienced two broken or very poor quality control for Novak tray. Both have same problem. One it's end (1 on pos side and 1 on neg side) are dead = Not discharging at all.

We try to discharge a fully-charged battery on Turbo 35GFX with 25A and 5.4 cutoff. After its done, we put them on the Novak tray. One lamp went out while the other five are still long way to go.

It's very sad when the most expensive tray have bad quality.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:18 AM   #9
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

I would say something........

but I am not!
"People tend to get upset because they don't get what they ask for... then complain when they get what they deserve." - R.E.Jacobs

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:22 AM   #10
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

To defend the smart tray a little bit here:

When you discharge a pack on a turbo 35 or any device that simply looks at the entire pack voltage, you run the risk of discharging on or more of the cells down BELOW 0.9 V... that is part of the reason why sometimes after you use one of these devices then put your pack in the smart tray one of the lights goes out immediately...

This is not a fault in the tray, this is simply indicating that your pack's cells are not charged/discharged equally... the whole reason why we have a tray to begin with....so you can equalize them.
Steve Weiss
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:25 AM   #11
Tech Master

Hi Dani, I've seen similar problems come from the contacts on the Tray not making contact with the battery bar properly. This can happen with dirt on the bar, or small corrosion. Usually packs that have never been trayed need popped in and out of the tray a few times. That usually solves the problem. If one shuts off imediately and the rest stay one. Turn it off, Pop the pack in and out a couple times, and make sure the contacts are touching completely.

I'm sure you've done some of this, and if the Tray is the problem, By All Means send it in so it can be taken care of. So Far we haven't had any trays have problems with one cell not working correctly, or cut-offs being wrong. There will always be some problems with products here and there, but this tray has been very good so far.

As far as a Tray causing false peaking. It is also a good Idea to let the pack sit for about 10 - 20 minutes before you start charging it. If you take the pack directly from the tray to the charger, you will likely have a False Peak about half way through the charge. I know I usually do.

Thanks, and as alway, Feel Free to Email Us ANYTIME with Novak Related Questions. The answers are faster and the same.

Novak Electronics Tech Support
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:28 AM   #12
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

Batteries have a natural rebound effect after a discharge. You know, the charger takes them down to 5.4....then within 30 seconds its hovering at 7.2. If you instantly put the battery back onto the charger, its already and or still rebounding so it will/may confuse the charger.
Chris Woods

TQ Racing Wire
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:24 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys!

What I did was let them rest after the discharge, then charge them for 2min, stop let them rest and then recharge, no false peaks!!

However, my 969 can only charge a 4.5 amps! So I picked up a Pulsar Comp charger, this one should work for me.
EVOIIIM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:05 PM   #14
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Charlie: Thanks for some of the tips with regards to avoiding false peaks right after using the Tray.... my question to you though has to do with Battery storage. Does the amount of charge that should be left in the battery pack vary from 1-2 weeks of inactivity? Furthermore, if say my packs won't be touched for a few weeks or even say slightly over a month.... how much charge should be left on each pack (3300 Nimh)??? Many Thanks and I look forward to your reply and advice as soon as you get the chance.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:29 PM   #15
Regional Moderator

Thanks for clearing stuff.

Evicerator, I'm already tested with brand new matched batteries, and fully charged batteries. I also checked with voltmeter too.

My friends is using it for almost a month, and that's the reason why he always has strange dumping on every heats / finals. It is because the one cell is still unequalized while the other five does.

I already ask him to send for repair to Novak agent in here. Thanks again
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote