Search

Electric Motor MAGNET ZAPPING Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 08:12 PM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Electric Motor MAGNET ZAPPING Questions

I've recently stumble upon an A/C Electric motor Magnet zapper and gauss meter.

I'm looking for tips/tricks to zapping cans to get the best performance. Also I'd like to know what kind of numbers to expect on the Gauss meter.

Any help would be VERY appreciated.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Magnet strength will vary on different motors. You should measure a NIB motor before running so you have a basis on their strength.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have no experience with such an expensive toy, but I would say that you really need to play with motors for yourself to see how you can tune them to get better performance. I have also heard that if you improve the performance of the magnets too much, that it CAN hinder the performance because it can slow down the RPM of the armature. Like I said before, I haven't got one, but I'd have a play and see how you go, but do as Dan says, make sure you check its ability NIB and go from there.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:11 AM
JKA
Tech Master

Thanks guys.

The NIB stuff I tried didn't really show any performance gain on the dyno.

I now have a few old motors that I'm going to dyno, rebuild, dyno again, zap magnets, then dyno again.

Hopefully this way I'll be able to see the gain. I've been told that any motor that has gotten too hot will need to have the magnets zapped.

We'll see.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

JKA,

With the newer magnets out these days, zapping the magnets won't do much unless you have a custom made high powered zapper. Think of the magnets as a glass of water... you can only fill it so full. Magnets are getting so good, that they are fully zapped when you get them.

The main advantage to zapping the magnets now is to center the magnetic field. Motors don't always come zapped perfect or 100% centered from the factory, so zapping them at that point may help. To test this, take your gauss meter and check the magnet in multiple spots. If the reading is the same, you have good magnets. If you get different readings, then it isn't centered perfectly.

If you heat up a motor a little, it shouldn't hurt the magnets much if at all. If you REALLY cook the motor though, it does hurt the magnets, but it also hurts the comm for life, even if you cut it. The extreme heat changes the hardness of the copper. This difference may not be night and day, but it can be noticable. Hopefully this will give you an idea of what is going on with the magnets inside those little powerhouses
Old 09-16-2004, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

don't think it will matter wat you do i doubt you will ever catch bill

Rob
Old 09-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Actually I have found that a majority of motors out of the package are not fully saturated or 100% It is true that their magnetic field isn't always aligned perfectly from the start either.

The biggest performance gain I have found is zapping handout motors at big events. For some reason handout motors are notorious for not being fully zapped for whatever reason.

There are also performance gains seen by my customers in motors that are 6 months to a year old in both modified and stock. This can be attributed to overheating the motor 200+ degrees or other various causes that degrade the field over time.

As for #'s on a gauss meter... they really mean nothing. It might show you a slight change. However the inexpensive meters that I've seen are not calibrated so one unit to the next will give different readings so you can't compare them. A Real Gauss meter will run you from $400-$2000 if you want a calibrated unit. To be honest, if you have a good zapper then that's not something to even worry about. Like Brandon said... you can only fill it to 100% no zapper will do more than that.

$.02
Old 09-16-2004, 02:34 PM
JKA
Tech Master

Thanks guys! Good stuff here.

Rob - Long time no see. It will be hard to catch Bill, but I bet I'll take a couple times or so this winter... legit. I've done it once! lol

Of course he's a big sponored driver now! lol

You going to Volcano Blast?
Old 09-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

naw i am wating on carpet season then i will get back into full season

can't wate for the Champs again in cleveland
Old 09-16-2004, 08:16 PM
JKA
Tech Master

Rob man did your hear that Huntington is getting carpet for this winter season? No lie.

I'm going to try to make a few big races this winter too... I'm hoping for Cleveland, Norrca Nats in Toledo, possibly Snowbirds... but we'll have to see on that one.

As for magnet zapping....

I took one old motor that hadn't been treated kindly, rebuilt it top to bottom, dyno'd it, then zapped the magnets, and dyno'd it again.

Though the rebuild had a huge effect, the magnet zapping showed a small increase, but an increase nonetheless. RPM gain of about 1500 and power gain of about 1.3.

I checked for off center magnetic field and found that most of my motors are off quite a bit. Is this maybe done for timing reasons? Is this a tricky way to change timing?