Wiki Posts
Search

question about 27T cheap motor vs 27T racing motors

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default question about 27T cheap motor vs 27T racing motors

Hello guys, quick question for the brushed motor experts...

I'm looking for a cheap motor to start racing the RCGT series, but I've been suspecting they are not equivalent to the ROAR spec 27 Turn ($40usd or more) motors.
The motor I have in mind is an hpi 27turn like this one:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPZV0&P=7

I can get this at my hobby shop for $9us !!!
so basically what I'd like to know is if this is comparable to a race spec 27 turn in terms of acceleration and top speed... ok I know it would not have a chance regarding quality or serviceability, they're more likely disposable. But, are they equivalent motors?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rufus2000
Hello guys, quick question for the brushed motor experts...

I'm looking for a cheap motor to start racing the RCGT series, but I've been suspecting they are not equivalent to the ROAR spec 27 Turn ($40usd or more) motors.
The motor I have in mind is an hpi 27turn like this one:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPZV0&P=7

I can get this at my hobby shop for $9us !!!
so basically what I'd like to know is if this is comparable to a race spec 27 turn in terms of acceleration and top speed... ok I know it would not have a chance regarding quality or serviceability, they're more likely disposable. But, are they equivalent motors?
It's a closed endbell motor just like the silver can Johnson/Mabuchi motors. It will have very hard brushes for long life but it's not very tunable. The rpm tops out at 14 to 18K. It's good for what it is designed for, a cheap throw away basher motor.

Will it keep up with a ROAR 27 turn 24 degree stock motor, no.

These 27T stock motors get into the 20 to 24K rpm range or more. They are tunable and rebuildable. You can change brushes and springs to get more torque or more rpm.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Doesn't look like something you can open up and tune out. So no.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

wow... thanks for the super quick reply!

I get it now.. but then, how about something faster, lile a cheap 15 Turn?
this one is 14 bucks...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWHX0&P=ML

would it keep up?
again, don't mind if its dispossable, just want to find something equivalent, if there is any
Old 04-12-2011, 02:48 AM
Tech Champion

wow... thanks for the super quick reply!

I get it now.. but then, how about something faster, lile a cheap 15 Turn?
this one is 14 bucks...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWHX0&P=ML

would it keep up?
again, don't mind if its dispossable, just want to find something equivalent, if there is any
I would ask the RCGT Race organiser what motor rules they run to, as a 15T motor may not be allowed.

Personally, i'd just run the tuned rebuildable 27t motor if thats what the rules state and you want the cheaper option until you go brushless, as sealed can motors will not keep up with a good rebuildable 27t stock motor.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

When it comes to sealed can motors you never know what you will get. I know several TCS racers that will buy 5 to 10 motors to find one that will work well enough to compete at a higher level. Now this is racing in a field of silver can motors.

Let's see one decent rebuildable 27T stock motor is $40.

10 silver can motors are $150-$200 to find a good one and it still won't keep up with the above.

I suppose that the more expensive motor is cheaper in the long run but what do I know?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

well I can't seem to find any 27T rebuildable, tower had the reedy stockstar listed but now I can't find it there...

the trinity's I also can't seem to find any...
or maybe a tamiya one is a good option?

any sources for any of these?

thanks
Old 04-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

well I can't seem to find any 27T rebuildable, tower had the reedy stockstar listed but now I can't find it there...

the trinity's I also can't seem to find any...
or maybe a tamiya one is a good option?

any sources for any of these?

thanks
Ebay is your friend!!! Should be able to pick up a nice Cobalt27 for under $35.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I know they are out of stock now, but this is what you really want for rcgt on a budget. You still need to rebuild brushed motors, if you don't have the right tools too, you'll be buying another motor in a few weeks.

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=918&id=9620
Old 04-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for your suggestion, looks like a nice price for a brushless...

So if I understand right, if one starts a racing series with only the hpi 27t motors it would still not be a fair race because in the end you could end up with a less powerful can than the other guy? is that motor also considered the equivalent of a "silver can"?

Actually I'm not worried about the race organizer.. I am the race organizer
I'm just worried about making the right decision on motor choice for the rest of the guys. Our racing series really has to be cheap... we are using $150us RTR's at the moment, and 10usd 3300 nihm batteries, so an inexpensive standard motor upgrade for everyone would fit the bill as long as the races are even. and inexpensive means ideally $30 or less...
I have been looking at other motors, such as the tamiya sport tuned (the black can) and the tamiya GT... I hear the tamiya superstocks are good too but they may be a bit above the target budget. any words of wisdom?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Go for Tamiya black can or silver can. Cheap and easy to get.

There is slight vaiation between motors, but not a lot. They also aren't tuneable, so there is less potential gap between experienced and novice racers (all other things constant of course).
Old 04-18-2011, 03:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JR007
Go for Tamiya black can or silver can. Cheap and easy to get.

There is slight vaiation between motors, but not a lot. They also aren't tuneable, so there is less potential gap between experienced and novice racers (all other things constant of course).
Hi

I was interested in your conversation. Silver can/black end belt are only good for 17,000 maybe a few more 100RPM. It is interesting to note that if you have, theorectially 2 identical motors and there can be 2000RPM difference.

I can offer a 27turn stock rebuildleable motor that will scream at 33K. Converting that to roll out you are looking at 29 t0 32mm depending on your wheel diameter. In comparision you are looking at approximately a 3 metre difference between the two over a certain distance. I skim the com approximately every 8-10 weeks with new brushes cut to suit the new diameter of the com. I have some 27 turn that are screaming at 36.3kRPM. This is because the 27 turn bush has been change to bearings and the brushes have been machined to suit the com. Additional to this is using com drops. Another 500to 1000 rpm possible.

If you are interestewd drop me a line
Aristo