Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc) >

Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)

Like Tree4Likes

Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)

Old 09-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Cristian, carpet season starts soon. I'll be running a kit T4'13 (no option parts yet). Track is 100'x48'. Layout is flowing with just a couple hairpins. Sweep QTS32 tires and Jack/SXT. Grip is medium high to high. I tend to like a car that's nice and settled and predictable, as opposed to super responsive.

I don't want to buy springs I'll never use, so I was hoping you could recommend one or two "go to" spring options.

If it helps, I always liked HPI pink/silver on my MI4CXL, until I tried Yokomo pink/blue which I liked even better. I also really like the way the T4 drives on asphalt with the kit 2.7/2.5-2.8 springs.

-Mike
Old 09-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Springs are such a personal thing.

However, a carpet spring set should be pretty good. Typically, I like to run a slightly stiffer spring in the front of the car. I usually start with pink F and Blue R. Lately though, we have been setting up with orange F and pink R, a stiffer set up than usual, but the car is way more consistent and easier to drive. Robbie Dodge tried it as well and liked it too.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by CristianTabush

However, a carpet spring set should be pretty good. Typically, I like to run a slightly stiffer spring in the front of the car. I usually start with pink F and Blue R. Lately though, we have been setting up with orange F and pink R, a stiffer set up than usual, but the car is way more consistent and easier to drive. Robbie Dodge tried it as well and liked it too.
Craig Xavier tried them and liked them as well. Orange F/Pink R +2!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Cristian,

I got my springs and spec-r top deck/motor mount. Great service as always. Thanks!

A couple questions:

What oils/pistons would you suggest for the pink/blue and orange/pink combos?
Were you running those combos with a normal T4, or an RX4, and do you think it makes much difference?
With the Spec-R top deck/motor mount support, which screws, if any, would you suggest in the layshaft mount? I don't have anything but the top deck to retain the layshaft, and I'll be running mod.

Any updates / preview pictures of your new layshaft bulkheads?

-Mike
Old 09-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Mike, I am running 4x1.1 pistons with 32.5 oil all around.

We have runs the springs and oil combos on both.

Robbie likes a 3x1.1 and 350cst oil set up. It was too stiff for myself, but it helped him go faster.

If you are running the spec r top deck, you can run without the layshaft screws, but use the one that goes to the post. That is how I usually run mine. I think it generates a bit more steering.

Our lowered, captured layshaft bulkheads will be here this coming week, or at least that is what we are expecting. Barring any delays they should be up for sale and pics will be up next week.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Orange and pink worked really well for me tonight. I didn't try pink/blue, though. The kit springs just felt too soft and wallowy, so I tried stiffer and never looked back.

Thanks again for the suggestion, Cristian!

-Mike
Old 09-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

Ok so i have the RSD evo chassis and top deck and wanted to know whats the differences with the evo 2. I've read the different. Chassis specs but as far as handling and feel how does it compare?
Old 09-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I made the same experience 6 days ago too! Normally I go with soft springs like yellow and teal on carpet, but pink and orange made my day on my first indoor runs this season
Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default T4 w/RX4 Chassis Setup

Figured I would post my latest setup at Horsham for the T4 with the RSD RX4 chassis. It's still very much a work in progress, but both Al Sodano's and my cars are working well with similar setups:

http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=544&setup=t4
Old 09-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

John, try 6 degrees of caster. Since I switched I have not looked back. It will mellow out the steering going into the corner.

The need for stiffer dampening and springs is due to the fact that the chassis is narrower, which allows more body roll. The wide chassis on the T4 works as a roll stop and allowed for super soft springs.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

John, try 6 degrees of caster. Since I switched I have not looked back. It will mellow out the steering going into the corner.
That is one of the few things I did not try yet. Normally, I do like a very aggressive, nosey car, so I stay away from more than 4deg. In this case however I could see it smoothing the car out a bit and provided a bit more on-power steering.

The need for stiffer dampening and springs is due to the fact that the chassis is narrower, which allows more body roll. The wide chassis on the T4 works as a roll stop and allowed for super soft springs.
Interesting. I never thought of it that way, but it does make sense. I did notice that this chassis picked up a lot less grime from the carpet on the sides. Normally, the T4 is pretty thickly coated at the edges. This chassis on the other hand comes off with a very narrow line of traction at the edges.

The car is quite good now. Just a few more minor tweaks...
Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I ordered the RSD DCJ's for my T4. I am just putting them in my mod car and on the large side of the barrel the pin can fall out one side because the retaining clip doesnt go all the way around. Is this a common problem with these? In the pictures on the site it shows all silver clips that go almost 100% around the barrel. Mine only go just under 75%. I checked and they are all the same size black clips in the package.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

The clips are not all the same size.

They look the same, but I assure you they are not.

2 clips look like they almost complete a full circle, these go on the wide side, the others are actually smaller and go over the narrow side.

Please take them apart and compare them, if you take a look at them, you will see the subtle difference.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

The clips are not all the same size.

They look the same, but I assure you they are not.

2 clips look like they almost complete a full circle, these go on the wide side, the others are actually smaller and go over the narrow side.

Please take them apart and compare them, if you take a look at them, you will see the subtle difference.
Okay maybe I have them on backwards? I will give that a shot. Thank you for the reply.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Yup that was my issue. The larger clips were coiled tighter. I assumed those were for the small side. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.