R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #2296
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah, I'm in the same position. I have a couple of things to try tomorrow that I hope will ameliorate the problem.
Any progress? I've been thinking of trying two different directions. Given that the car feels good but lacks mid-corner I'd like to try getting more roll in rear of the car. I've already run all the way in on the tower for the rear shock and that didn't seem to do it, so thought of trying a two hole rear arm, running on the inner hole of the arm to get things a bit softer. My concern is that it's already close to being loose on exiting the turn, so it might cause the rear to dump too hard to the outside tire on corner exit.

Another couple ideas (in different and opposite directions) were either lower the front roll center (arm holders) .4mm or raising the rear a similar amount to see if either the front just isn't working as well needed, or taking a bit of rear traction away will get that rotation.

I'm interesting in your findings.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #2297
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Chritian I have a product request. Can you make some low profile shock mounts for a Tamiya 417!
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
"Take an early lead and extend it".(Fast Eddie Janis)
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #2298
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Rx4

Christian not sure if been asked but will the rx4 t4 conversion with new blocks work on the cso one purple edition.thanks

sponsors: NemoracingUSA, Agama A215,Agama A215e, Beta tires
triplejracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #2299
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erchn View Post
Any progress? I've been thinking of trying two different directions. Given that the car feels good but lacks mid-corner I'd like to try getting more roll in rear of the car. I've already run all the way in on the tower for the rear shock and that didn't seem to do it, so thought of trying a two hole rear arm, running on the inner hole of the arm to get things a bit softer. My concern is that it's already close to being loose on exiting the turn, so it might cause the rear to dump too hard to the outside tire on corner exit.
So I tried a few things with good results this weekend: I normally like running antidive in the lowest roll center position in the front, but like you said, with the reds all around there just wasn't enough mid-corner rotation. The car was super easy to drive, but still off by about .2s.

Ended up dropping the roll center to the bottom in the FR position eliminating the antidive completely. I threw on the 4deg blocks and voila! the car had a good deal more mid-corner rotation. In fact it had a bit too much. To compensate for the additional 'noseyness' of the car I went down to a green rear spring and equal ride-height all around. Gained the .2s I was looking for. Broke the track record on the current layout that Haynes and Schreff laid down two weeks prior. Comfortably still need another .1s - .2s though. I have a feeling what's remaining is simply me continuing to adjust to mod.

In response to your first point: I'm always nervous about the whole aggressively roll-over-on-the-outside-rear-tire-to-get-it-to-rotate-style setup. I find cars like that do not fit my driving style. I seem to prefer stiff, edgier setups to generate rotation rather than soft, divey ones if that makes sense. To each their own I suppose.

Quote:
Another couple ideas (in different and opposite directions) were either lower the front roll center (arm holders) .4mm or raising the rear a similar amount to see if either the front just isn't working as well needed, or taking a bit of rear traction away will get that rotation.
Did the first one--was awesome!

Your second point was also a passing thought for me, but since Jackson is not a particularly high-bite track (and neither are the spec tires we use for that matter) I felt the right course of action was to increase bite in the front of the car rather than take it away from the rear.

Quote:
I'm interesting in your findings.
I'd be happy to hear what your findings are as well. I've really enjoyed using the RSD springs this past season. I know some folks I run with don't care for progressives, but I love them particularly on asphalt. By the way here's what my current setup looks like:

XRAY T4 Setup - Jon Williams
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #2300
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

ethan - thanks for making jon more of a handful in mod tc
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #2301
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
ethan - thanks for making jon more of a handful in mod tc
You betcha,

He can't run a boosted 2.5, so has to make it up somewhere!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #2302
Tech Elite

Quote:
You betcha,

On a more serious note do you plan on trying anything different this weekend?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #2303
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
You betcha,

prove him wrong Jon...... Run a 2.5, just to make a point, just make sure it's in a month
Old 08-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #2304
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default RX4 Pre-Orders and Pictures

The Pre-orders for the RX4 Chassis are now on the site. The chassis should be available in 2-3 weeks.

The RX4 chassis has been developed by us to provide a few key things:

1.Narrower in design:
The RX4 is 85mm vs the 94mm for the original T4 chassis. This allows the car to roll deeper in the corners providing more traction. The narrower construction also helps the car in large outdoor asphalt tracks, where cars tend to roll more. Wider chassis cars tend to lose traction in high speed sweepers due to increased chassis rub on the surface of the track.

2.Shorty Pack Option:
Our RX4 Chassis is cut to be shorty pack compatible. In many unlimited weight racing circuits, shorty packs have become quite popular in spec racing. The lighter weight of the shorty pack can allow for much higher power to weight ratios which, when set up right can translate into quicker lap times and reduced tire wear.

3.Captured Pivot Ball and Adjustable Plastic Insert Suspension Mounts (or standard mount compatibility):
Much like the Kyosho TF-6, the RX4 allows for the use of captured pivot ball suspension mounts with different inserts to change the toe angle and track width. The pivot ball suspension, when used with interchangeable plastic inserts is superior to the standard suspension mounts in every way. It still retains the adjustability of the standard mounts, but is lighter, stronger and when used with pivot balls, has less friction as well. The captured ball system does not allow the suspension arm to get loose when clipping curbs or dots, which over a race will allow the car to stay more consistent from beginning to end of the run.

4.Backwards compatible:
If the user still prefers the old style suspension mounting system, the RX4 allows for the use of the original XRAY Parts as well.

The RX4 is made from 2.25mm carbon fiber.

This product listing is for the complete kit which inlcudes:
1.RX4 Chassis
2.RX4 Aluminum Suspension Mounts
3.RX4 Full Plastic insert Set
4.RX4 Front and Rear Stainless Steel Hinge Pins
5.RX4 Hardened Steel Pivot Balls
Old 08-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #2305
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Cristian, what's the difference with the hinge pins?

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #2306
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The length. The hinge pins have to be shorter in this set up.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #2307
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Williams View Post

On a more serious note do you plan on trying anything different this weekend?
I'm going to try some of the things you did, lowering the front roll centers. Other than that I might try going back down to 350 oil in the rear from 400, and moving back to 3 degrees of rear toe, from 2.5. If that's unstable, I have a 1.0 rear bar on order I might give a shot, moving to that from no rear bar.

Thanks for checking back in, glad to hear things are moving in the right direction.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #2308
Tech Elite

Quote:
I'm going to try some of the things you did, lowering the front roll centers. Other than that I might try going back down to 350 oil in the rear from 400, and moving back to 3 degrees of rear toe, from 2.5. If that's unstable, I have a 1.0 rear bar on order I might give a shot, moving to that from no rear bar.
Cool. I'll be curious to see what you think. I have a few more things to try this weekend myself.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #2309
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
The Pre-orders for the RX4 Chassis are now on the site. The chassis should be available in 2-3 weeks.

1.Narrower in design:
The RX4 is 85mm vs the 94mm for the original T4 chassis. This allows the car to roll deeper in the corners providing more traction. The narrower construction also helps the car in large outdoor asphalt tracks, where cars tend to roll more. Wider chassis cars tend to lose traction in high speed sweepers due to increased chassis rub on the surface of the track.

2.Shorty Pack Option:
Our RX4 Chassis is cut to be shorty pack compatible. In many unlimited weight racing circuits, shorty packs have become quite popular in spec racing. The lighter weight of the shorty pack can allow for much higher power to weight ratios which, when set up right can translate into quicker lap times and reduced tire wear.

3.Captured Pivot Ball and Adjustable Plastic Insert Suspension Mounts (or standard mount compatibility):
Much like the Kyosho TF-6, the RX4 allows for the use of captured pivot ball suspension mounts with different inserts to change the toe angle and track width. The pivot ball suspension, when used with interchangeable plastic inserts is superior to the standard suspension mounts in every way. It still retains the adjustability of the standard mounts, but is lighter, stronger and when used with pivot balls, has less friction as well. The captured ball system does not allow the suspension arm to get loose when clipping curbs or dots, which over a race will allow the car to stay more consistent from beginning to end of the run.

4.Backwards compatible:
If the user still prefers the old style suspension mounting system, the RX4 allows for the use of the original XRAY Parts as well.

1.RX4 Chassis

Cant wait to get it,Will there also be a solid arm mount option available in place of the single mounts.
thanks
warren
Old 08-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #2310
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post

anks

1.Narrower in design:

2.Shorty Pack Option:

4.Backwards compatible:

1.RX4 Chassis
What are the mounts made from? 6061? 6063? 7075?

Thanks
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote