Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Barracuda from Alex racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 06:28 PM
Ian
Tech Regular

Thank you for the replies.I will try and use the suggestion made as a starting point.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:46 AM
fai
Regional Moderator

Dear all: I heard news about that Japanese Team drivers are now running with 99T spur gear from Xenon. My local racers have tried that and they claimed this gives 'incredible' punch!! Really don't know whether they are exaggerating the result...

JDM: have you heard about this??
Old 01-13-2003, 03:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up

As of right now most of the local guys at the track near my house use 48 pitch 71 and 72 tooth gears... but when I went to Yatabe Arena last week end almost everyone in there brother was using either a 99 or a 96 64 pitch gear but the gearing that they are using with the 23 turn stocks are in the 5.5~5.9 final ratio... but as for hearing about the 99 spur giving great punch.. I have great punch with a 72 spur and a 30~32 pinion with the 23 turn stock motor.. but then again ....I have also have had great punch with the 69 spur also.. it really think that it comes down to the gearing with the motor they are running also BTW what motors are they running over there in HKG???

-Dave
Old 01-13-2003, 06:47 AM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hi all, I'm about to buy a new car for the new year and was thinking about the Barracuda, I was thinking if its a good car right out of the box? The new version is the R2 right? What's the difference compare to the first car?

~edit~

is there a website that is for the barracuda that I could see the "stock" car? all I see is picture of the barracuda with all the aftermarket chassis...

Last edited by TFR; 01-13-2003 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

i'm not pretty sure myself...but one thing for sure the R2 is the 2 speed version of the old baraccuda but it can be use as a normal single speed also....battery slot is moved inner on the chassis for better weight distribution...and chassis is 6mm narrower...the 2 speed looks like it's more geared for stock racing due to limited spur/pinion choices....maybe they'll have more gearing options for mod motors....and also threaded shock is now standard

by the way HK & Japan guys should be able to give more details to you
Old 01-13-2003, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

TFR- Alex homepage http://www.alex.ne.jp/
Old 01-13-2003, 11:05 AM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

fReShJiVe, Thanks.

so apart from the 2 speed and the narrower chassis, it is pretty much the same? I also heard people complaing about the steering set up from the Barracuda, is that true?

Thanks for the site.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Default R2 Barracuda

Originally posted by fReShJiVe
i'm not pretty sure myself...but one thing for sure the R2 is the 2 speed version of the old baraccuda but it can be use as a normal single speed also....battery slot is moved inner on the chassis for better weight distribution...and chassis is 6mm narrower...the 2 speed looks like it's more geared for stock racing due to limited spur/pinion choices....maybe they'll have more gearing options for mod motors....and also threaded shock is now standard

by the way HK & Japan guys should be able to give more details to you

For the R2 Cuda...

The changes that they have done to the chassis are as follows
1) like freshjive side the chassis is 6mm more narrow and the battery has been move forward and inward about 3mm
2) the servo mount position has also been moved forward about 4~6mm
3) along with the Battery and servo being moved forward the motor mount has been moved up to make room for the 2 speed gear set..
4) the Gearing selection is set up for 23T Stock motor racing.. the ratios are as follows low gear 4.89~4.98?? I forget..? and the high gear is some where's in the 5.65~5.85 range
5) Alex has just mow released an addaptor so you can bypass the 2 speed and run any spur gear and pinion you would like I think that it cost's like about 20$ or so..

6)Also like freshjive said it comes with threaded shocks..but also it now comes with more "Beefy" A-arms now to..
7) I'll see if I can make heads or tails of what the jiber jaber says on there sight to see if theres more
-Dave
Old 01-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

Default CUDA steering

Originally posted by TFR
I also heard people complaing about the steering set up from the Barracuda, is that true?

the stock steering set up ins't that bad.. but if you want more steering out of it you can get some Yokomo TC streering knuckles to get a tad bit more out of it just a little Japanese trick that not to many Barracuda users know about yet
-Dave
Old 01-13-2003, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by TFR
fReShJiVe, Thanks.

so apart from the 2 speed and the narrower chassis, it is pretty much the same? I also heard people complaing about the steering set up from the Barracuda, is that true?

Thanks for the site.
if u meant the tight fitting of the steering , u just need to file about 1mm away from the collar and it will be smooth as silk
Old 01-13-2003, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Default Hmmm

Hmm I have had no problems with the steering set up on my Cuda and my Pal Cuda what so ever...
what piece are you talking about ??
-Dave
Old 01-13-2003, 08:52 PM
fai
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
As of right now most of the local guys at the track near my house use 48 pitch 71 and 72 tooth gears... but when I went to Yatabe Arena last week end almost everyone in there brother was using either a 99 or a 96 64 pitch gear but the gearing that they are using with the 23 turn stocks are in the 5.5~5.9 final ratio... but as for hearing about the 99 spur giving great punch.. I have great punch with a 72 spur and a 30~32 pinion with the 23 turn stock motor.. but then again ....I have also have had great punch with the 69 spur also.. it really think that it comes down to the gearing with the motor they are running also BTW what motors are they running over there in HKG???

-Dave
Oh, I'm also using 72T. I think there's one more significant difference when switching from 48 pitch to 64 pitch: the 'middle' speed can be kept more easily... Sometimes when heading into a short straight road, I always find myself have problem in keeping speed: more throttle will push the car out of the short straight and miss the coming corner, may be the main problem is my fingers only!! BTW, my Barracuda is now ready for 99T, can't wait to see the result...

In HK, for 23T, most people run with Yokomo T-Max RST! (So am I) Personally, my gearing is down to ~5.01. We also like to run 8/9T but different brand names are choosn and sometimes different combinations of armatures/motor cans!!
Old 01-13-2003, 09:00 PM
fai
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by TFR
Hi all, I'm about to buy a new car for the new year and was thinking about the Barracuda, I was thinking if its a good car right out of the box? The new version is the R2 right? What's the difference compare to the first car?

~edit~

is there a website that is for the barracuda that I could see the "stock" car? all I see is picture of the barracuda with all the aftermarket chassis...
TFR: Barracuda is a good car. That's why Alex released a R2 as a 2nd version. I think the main problem of setting cuda is their dampers... Really need some time to learn and try... Also, don't forget to put in a softer bumper for it (I chose the one for Atlas YM), otherwise the chasis cannot withstand even a small impact!!

Old 01-13-2003, 09:04 PM
fai
Regional Moderator

Default Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Hmm I have had no problems with the steering set up on my Cuda and my Pal Cuda what so ever...
what piece are you talking about ??
-Dave
I think fReShJiVe means there will be a little bit tight when sitting the knuckle into the C-Block! Yes, I did file it a little bit in order for them to steer smoothly. BTW, I now used Square's knuckle arms, so no more problems!!
Old 01-13-2003, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

fai- isnt gearing of ~5.01 too high for 23t....or is it because of the wheather in HK is very low to be able to use that kind of gearing??i currently i'm putting in a stock(23t) motor in my Cuda....any suggestion from where i could start gearing....currently i have 96/37(6.33FDR) installed.

By the way i use to hear a local TC3 driver saying that shaft driven car is very efficient thus be able to gear it higher than any belt cars...is this true?? i haven't had much time to run the Cuda with the bad wheather and work commitments lately....so a suggestion on gearing will definitely help me getting it dialled faster

thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.