Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Barracuda from Alex racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 03:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
The shocks that you see there are the same ones you have ...but they just have the Yokomo SD caps on them

-Dave
Bingo!!!
But if you are running R1,the shock body is non-threaded.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by Tsubasa Sakai
SD battery post on cuda.
Dave: It fits very well.Thanks.
Your Welcome Big Guy

-Dave
Old 08-02-2003, 03:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by Tsubasa Sakai
Dave: You got PM.
Back at you TS.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally posted by rtypec
I'm not RBF nor am I a Cuda expert...but a here are a couple of quick fix ideas without getting into roll centers:

Rear diff too loose? Loose diff can cause on power oversteer or a hooking feeling.

Played with anti-squat in the rear?

Don't be afraid to run huge droop up front hehe.

And don't be afraid to go with softer springs in the rear.
Thank you Rod and Dave. It's 4am, and my pupils are just blurred, so I dont really know what I'm typing right now
Old 08-02-2003, 05:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Well back from Hitec, the competition was much better than I expected, and the barriers were just as unforgiving as I had expected.

First qualifier, I had the 2'nd spot, took 1'st by the middle of the lap, and only 1 person followed on my tail. We kept racing about 1-2 seconds away from eachother, when I overpowered a turn and countered right into the barrier, went upside down, and he took the spot. I went into 4'th place, but passed 4'th and 3'rd and finished 2'nd.

Second qualifier, I was in 9'th position, by the first corner pileup I had gotten down to 5'th, but 1'st place was about 1/2 lap ahead at that time. I worked up to 3'rd, and came up on 2'nd, but couldn't get the pass. He saw the lines I was trying to run to pass him, and would cut into them. It slowed my pace down about 3/10 of a second per lap. Finally he went wide and I cut down with enough momentum to take the spot. Kept 2'nd to the end, and ended up 2 seconds off the leader.

Main, I started 3'rd place in the A-Main. The top 4 drivers got out really clean, so we were all running smooth. Somehow, the 1'st place driver just kept pulling the field, he was about a half second faster per lap than us, knew what he was doing when it came to parking lot racing. I took a turn wide and 4'th got inside me, but hit the next corner dot so I could take the place back. I pulled away from him, and came up on 2'nd. We had a battle but the lines we were doing just slowed us down so 4'th could catch up. Now I was dealing with him not getting by, and we were running about 2 feet apart from eachother for 2 or 3 laps. He got tired of waiting, and turned into my line to take me out. I ended up stuck on the barrier as 5'th passed. The race clock ended and I was 1/2 way through the lap. I had enough motor to get past him and finish 4'th.

I was pissed off at what had happened while I was in the battle for 3'rd... I had all my stuff packed and was on my way home by the time the next race ended. We were having some good racing when he intentionally hacked me, thats fu*ked up.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds like some decent racing with close competition.
When you say he turned into your line, what exactly do you mean? he dived up the inside to where you wanted to be? If he can get to "your line" before you get there then you need to give him room and try take a line that possibly lets you get on teh power earlier so you can take them in the next corner. Not saying it's your fualt, I didn't see what happened, but I have come accross a couple drivers that can follow cars without hitting them but don't give anyone behind them any room when they are fairly up the inside or even are the outside. I would say I give people behind me plenty room but I often get close to taking out the guy ahead of me if I'm following very close, not that it happens an awful lot, normaly there are only a couple of cars close together at a time so you can give each other a little more room and wait for a clear mistake.

Now I really should get some sleep, it's 1.30am, I gotta get up at about 6.15am to go racing in the SMTCA tomorrow atleast my cars nicely prepared so it will be a nice fast car that a zombie drives into the nearest wall
Old 08-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Randman you race at so.cal,You KNOW how it is..sad but true, once you see how the other driver is going to be..hammer time,I look at it like this if another driver is looking to take you out and you are behind him the advantage is yours,I know you dont want to drive like that but at big races thats how 99% of the mains go,bummer, sorry to hear that the main's were not clean racing.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Yeah, racing like that gets you another position, but you get enemies. I know if I see him on the track again and want his position, he's going into the wall. I could have done the same thing and driven 2'nd into the wall at the beginning of the race and been all over 1'st, but that's not how you race in an expert class. I guess 4'th in the A isnt bad, I just wanted a lot better. This is only my 5'th week racing the barracuda, and my 5'th week racing since '00, so I'll get my speed back as time goes.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Thats allways been the way,big race..big hacks.. I dont like to race that way,99% of the time I wont race like that..but that 1% feels soooo good(esp. when that person has been hacking you ALL day ) I do know where your coming from though,I also had left the RC racing for a while but now with a new attitude on racing I'm having more fun than I use to..I dont have to win to have fun.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I was in the hobby all about competition about 4 years ago, and it does burn you out after some time. I am in it more for fun now, but still, I was hacked out of a top position at a somewhat big race, and I'm not going to be happy about it.

The race was recorded, so I was able to watch what happened, and he actually made his way around me in one corner, but I had more momentum, so I was able to get out in front again, then he just turned into me and I got held up. The thing is, we actually had a really good close race going before it happened...
Old 08-02-2003, 10:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally posted by Randman
I was in the hobby all about competition about 4 years ago, and it does burn you out after some time. I am in it more for fun now, but still, I was hacked out of a top position at a somewhat big race, and I'm not going to be happy about it.

The race was recorded, so I was able to watch what happened, and he actually made his way around me in one corner, but I had more momentum, so I was able to get out in front again, then he just turned into me and I got held up. The thing is, we actually had a really good close race going before it happened...
That kinda bites RM, I've seen you race a few times now and you are a clean racer.
So did you make any changes to the car today to make it work better ?

How'd Mikey R do ?
Old 08-03-2003, 01:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

rb your going to have to stop spoiling me by letting me run your cuda........oh someday i may get one...
Old 08-03-2003, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally posted by JasonC
rb your going to have to stop spoiling me by letting me run your cuda........oh someday i may get one...
Old 08-03-2003, 08:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by RedBullFiXX
That kinda bites RM, I've seen you race a few times now and you are a clean racer.
So did you make any changes to the car today to make it work better ?

How'd Mikey R do ?
I made some changes to the car, switched to 30wt oil in the back, and moved the shocks inward, went to 1.75 degrees of camber, and it felt really planted, but half way through the main it started getting loose off power. Coming off the straight, we had a high speed turn, and I would lose so much speed because the back end would fish tail through it.

Mike R was in a different qualifier than me, and he had a rough group to run with. I think 2 of the people in his qualifier made it to the A main. He ended up 3'rd in the B for qualifying, but lapped the field in the main. He should have been in the A, he was running a pace that would have put him up front with us.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Well I'm back from racing, I have mixed feelings about the day.

Firstly the tarmaced area was crap, an absolute joke, more suited to buggies was a common phrase used there was a long drain running accross the whole track, across the straight they used some thin wood screwed down to smooth it out a little, but the edge of the wood still acted as a bad bump and the screws started coming up in places, there was also a join in the wood and it raised up there, right where a good racing line would be, so it made you car hop around a bit, the straight after that there were some dips in the tarmac that were probably worse, you had to try and find a line that was reasonably smooth. At the end of the straight there was a sweeper, just as you wanted to start turning there was a nice car sized hollow again, which made quite a few cars roll straight off, or atleast ruined your corner. The other place the track crossed the drain it wasn't too bad since it was at one of the slowest sections, but there was nothing to smooth the drain out, you had to make sure you ran atleast 7mm to get around the track at all well.
The tarmac itself was poor anyway, it's old and grey, typical granite based tarmac we get which leaves quite an open surface, and with it's age the stones in the surface have been kind of polished, making grip poor for tarmac.

I spent the first three rounds trying to get a decent setup, the first run wasn't too bad actually, I then went to try CS22's since it wasn't that hot, very bad idea, it was kind of inbetween 22's and 27's but 22's just didn't work at all, made the rear end very loose out of corners, I had a master class on catching fish tailing I had been making small steps towards a decent setup all day and for the last qualifier I had decent grip and an ok balance, not great but good enough to put in a solid crash free time. It placed me 4th in the A final, the top two guys were absolutly flying though, in a class of their own by far. I still couldn't get into the corners well, I was running a little wide on most corners, I had gone from my Alfa 2.0 in the morning to my battered 300M for the last couple runs, the Chrysler was just a little friendlier to drive with, I certainly need another. I tried reducing front droop to help the understeer for the final but I think I should have gone further, I would of really liked one softer than kit on springs all around, would of helped with the bumps a little too.
My first lap of the fine was poor, ran a little wide and let a load of cars through, not helped by not being able to get the power down off the grid, which basicly cost me a place in the first corner. The final was ok, I made a few mistakes but would then get back on a good pace and be following the car ahead very closely until one of us made a mistake again. The first two guys were still miles ahead of everyone, atleast one had the advamtage of home track. I had gone from second last to about 5th and was close to taking fourth with third a few seconds ahead. Then I made a couple more mistakes and dropped back again, speant most the race fighting for 5,6,7 places, I had the fastest car but understeer was causing a few problems. Then my car headed straight on at one of the tightest corners, the darn servo horn screw had come out again probably the one thing I didn't check before the final, very annoying, I'm going to super glue it, thread lock it, solder it and weld it into place, then we'll see if the little SOB moves
ended up 9th, not great but not awful, atleast I had one clean run I enjoyed, would of liked more time to do a little more tuning, I'm sure the two fast guys had been there the day before and got an idea of what to do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.