Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If it were easy anyone could do it!
lostinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #17
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
Well I finally fixed the problem. As a last resort I swapped the diffs and rebuilt them w/ no change. I then proceeded to swap the front to rear shocks and the problem went away completely. I need to measure the lengths of the shocks but something is amiss w/ shock length or something. All 4 shocks had the same rebound and shaft length I thought but I need to double check them now. I did keep the green springs that were in back up front and now the blue springs that were in front are in back. Do you think that alone would be enough to cause the spin out or is it something w/ the shocks themselves?

You are now running 12lb fronts and 17lb rear springs if they are Associated springs. Any idea what pistons were in those shocks?

Next time Paul and Arthur come up, hitch a ride and we will figure it out.
Team Novak,Gravity RC,

Last edited by ercwhtsd; 04-18-2011 at 05:18 PM.
ercwhtsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #18
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

number two pistons. I still am unsure as to what caused it. Before I took it back in to tear it down i switched the front shocks left to right and sure enough it started doing donuts the opposite direction. Took it upstairs and mic'd the shock length and they were the same both compressed and fully extended. I measured both the bottom of the shock shaft to the bottom of the body and centerline to centerline of the mounting points fully extended and both shocks were identical. Disassembled them fully and reassembled. Only thing I noticed was the white plastic piece that retains the foam was a tad tight on the shaft. The shaft slide up/down fine but it had a bit more resistance than the other shaft. Cleaned up the ID of that piece a bit and put it back together. It appears to be perfectly fine now. Very strange and I really hate it when I cannot pinpoint the problem exactly as it can come back as I've not really located any source for this problem.

On a side note, anyone know how i can reduce the sensitivity of the steering at high speed? it is very twitchy and nearly any input moves the car alot. I've already played w/ steering expo and it doesn't seem to help a lot.
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 AM   #19
Tech Master

Glad you found your problem. The tc3 is famous for requiring lots of work just to go straight. Springs : gold /blue and silver rears are all you'll need. Maybe green rears and silvers fronts but that's really soft.

Green slime helps a lots to build smooth shocks.

Measure everything with digital calipers, ( also measure the lengh of the springs) and it should work OK. I've had two springs from the same color rate have a 1 mm difference at times, that's HUGE but the material they are made of is very good nonetheless, so just compensate with the preload collar.
I love wedge bodies. I love dish wheels.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 AM   #20
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mine is doing the very same thing. think i will try switching the shocks.
hillbillyrcer is offline   Reply With Quote