Wiki Posts
Search

Custom car build

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Custom car build

Hello all,
thought i'd share my latest project w/ ya. Haven't been in the RC world for quite a few years, but was sucked back in recently and decided i'd like to design/build my own car. It's mostly made from magnesium, and weighs in at 1422 grams as it sits(no shock fluid or diff fluid in yet). haven't had it running outside yet, just been drivin' it around indoors till the weather brightens up. Looking forward to gettin' it out for some official debug/testing, but it seems to work pretty well so far. Built it to race it at the local track this year, but it doesn't look like there's enough community interst for the races to happen this year Comments and opinions are more than welcome.

regards,

Fbmstar
Attached Thumbnails Custom car build-dsc00044.jpg   Custom car build-dsc00042.jpg   Custom car build-dsc00033.jpg   Custom car build-dsc00040.jpg   Custom car build-dsc00039.jpg  

Old 03-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fbmstar
Hello all,
thought i'd share my latest project w/ ya. Haven't been in the RC world for quite a few years, but was sucked back in recently and decided i'd like to design/build my own car. It's mostly made from magnesium, and weighs in at 1422 grams as it sits(no shock fluid or diff fluid in yet). haven't had it running outside yet, just been drivin' it around indoors till the weather brightens up. Looking forward to gettin' it out for some official debug/testing, but it seems to work pretty well so far. Built it to race it at the local track this year, but it doesn't look like there's enough community interst for the races to happen this year Comments and opinions are more than welcome.

regards,

Fbmstar
nice very nice
Old 03-27-2011, 04:10 AM
Tech Addict

Woow, very nice and interesting to look at
I like how the steering knuckles are and the steering system is in place.
But what is the chassis made of ?
And doesnt the belt slips from the motor pinion ?
How has it been comparing to other market TC's ?

It looks cool, good luck for any changes in the futur
Old 03-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Tech Addict

Very cool and impresssive.

What you should do:

Make a blog about the development. Its good fun.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
Woow, very nice and interesting to look at
I like how the steering knuckles are and the steering system is in place.
But what is the chassis made of ?
And doesnt the belt slips from the motor pinion ?
How has it been comparing to other market TC's ?

It looks cool, good luck for any changes in the futur
Thanks for the replys.

The chassis is made out of magnesium alloy bar stock, as are the A-arms, A-arm mounts, hubs, diff brackets, center braces, steering linkages, motor mount, and front shock tower.

I've not had any issues w/ the belt slipping as of yet, but haven't run it very hard either. The center diff pully and motor pully have flanges on opposing sides. The belt seems to run true and i've not seen any signs of it wandering.

Haven't really compared it to any other TC's yet and it doesn't look like i'll get a chance to in the near future. There isn't much of an on-road electric scene in Louisville. Or if there is, i haven't found it yet. Maybe i'll pick one up someday. The original plan was to race it this year, but much to muh chagrin, the local races aren't going to be happening. It'll probably just sit on the shelf till the racing scene picks back up.

Regards,

Fbmstar
Old 04-03-2011, 12:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Looks good

A couple questions about your setup.

Any concerns about longevity of your parts? Have you had any issues with broken components? It looks like this has many custom pieces. What is the turn around for re-creating parts after failure?

What are the wheel loads on this project? I think this is looking great. Have you had it out for test runs so far? How well does it perform?

Thanks and good luck with your project.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It looks pretty sturdy, but I'm not so sure about having the steering linkage so far forward; any high speed impact and it could be damaged. Of course, you may be a better driver than I am too.
How do you go about changing the ratio with that belt setup? Do you have different sized sheaves?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

+1 to previous comment.

Car looks beautiful! But I am curious about the steering linkage and knuckles being mounted a bit forward... crashing could mean bending parts... which could be trouble if magnesium bends easily like aluminum.

Is there any advantage to having the front shocks mounted the way they are right now?
Old 04-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had wondered about the shocks positioning too. I would have swapped the front shocks and steering positions in order to protect the steering. Shocks should be able to withstand an impact; its kind of what they are designed to do.
From what I know of magnesium, its about as strong as aluminum, but lighter and more flammable.
I'd try driving it first before committing any changes. If you like how it works and feels, and can keep it off the walls, then that is all that matters.