Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

F1 Baby--
Old 04-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think that WGT and 1/12 17.5 could be a great combo but they need to re-evaluate the body rules for WGT...most of the HPI bodies have been out of stock/discontinued for years and with the class showing some definite potential for major growth (largest class at the most recent Nats in WA), I think a little research into the FIA GT1, GT2 and GT3 CHampionships, the Blancpain Endurance series and a few others could yield some very good bodies:

Ascari KZ1R

Audi R8 LMS

BMW Alpina B6

Lamborghini Gallardo

BMW M3 GT2

Just to name a few...
Old 04-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Cost is a big factor, not because there are not good entry level options but because newbies are enticed by speed. Whats the first thing out of a potential customers mouth the first time in a hobby shop.... HOW FAST DOES IT GO!!! Selling a slow entry level ride is a tough sell in todays immdiate satisfaction generation. Of course thay then take that $1000 ride and smash into the first turn and then are pissed go figure.

Off-road is big because its cheap to enter(not at all cheap to run when you figure in tires) and because little jonnie does not need a preped track. He can take that SC truck home buy/build a ramp and fly the piss out of that truck while all the neighbor kids go oooh and ahhhh.

I wish I had the answer to the op's question mabey all it will take is time.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cookie1
sure onroad has been down this season around our area but we also have to big offroad tracks in the area as well.. from my point a view it doesnt get any easier than 1s 1/12th 17,5 no boost car...one car, one 1s pack, novak havok 1s, black fronts,yellowrears...boom your racing a great class for under $250..there is nothing even close to the easiness and driving...no four shocks, no dogbones..etc..this is as simple as 123..4'6" turning radius and quick tweak...your going racing...now if you want to save more money buy a used car and your now under $200.
1/12 scale may not have alot of parts, but its not simple to setup. Attention to details pays huge dividens in on - road.

Off road is simple compared to onroad, and I think that attracts more people as the learning curve is less.

Shawn.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I think that WGT and 1/12 17.5 could be a great combo but they need to re-evaluate the body rules for WGT...most of the HPI bodies have been out of stock/discontinued for years and with the class showing some definite potential for major growth (largest class at the most recent Nats in WA), I think a little research into the FIA GT1, GT2 and GT3 CHampionships, the Blancpain Endurance series and a few others could yield some very good bodies:

Ascari KZ1R

Audi R8 LMS

BMW Alpina B6

Lamborghini Gallardo

BMW M3 GT2

Just to name a few...
The WGT rules are significantly outdated, which is why almost no one plays by them as they currently stand. As for bodies, the ROAR standards for WGT pretty much already opens up body choices to everything you're asking for! From pg 59 of the 2011 rulebook:

8.10.4.6.2 World GT body rules:
 Bodies must be based on production front engine - rear drive autos
 Body must be a replica of an original, 2 door sports/gt production car or based on
a full sized auto which has been raced in a major series (Speed World Challenge,
FIA GT Championship, ALMS GT1 + GT2, Japanese GT Championship, etc.)
 Bodies must be of a model year no older than 10 years prior to the year of
submittal

At the end of the day, do what's right for YOUR track or your club!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
The WGT rules are significantly outdated, which is why almost no one plays by them as they currently stand. As for bodies, the ROAR standards for WGT already opens up body choices to everything you're asking for!
I know that...if I could get a hold of Dale Epp (who Im pretty sure posted around here...he still may...) Id send a few of those pics his way because I think Protoform ought to be at the forefront when it comes to WGT
Old 04-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Dale's busy punching out all the Sophias he can...and selling out of 'em as fast as he can punch 'em out. Why does he want to make anything else? It's not like his lids are going to cover MORE than 100% of the WGT field.

The CONCEPT of WGT was going to be GREAT...using the real-looking bodies HPI and others do, etc. But as soon as the class was announced a couple body manufacturers created race-aero blobs and ruined it (to my admittedly jaded eye).
Old 04-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I know that...if I could get a hold of Dale Epp (who Im pretty sure posted around here...he still may...) Id send a few of those pics his way because I think Protoform ought to be at the forefront when it comes to WGT
ProtoForm already IS at the forefront. Dale has already stated in no uncertain terms LONG ago that as long as the Sophia (an Alfa Romeo 8c) is (and remains) the dominant body in WGT, there is no way in heck that he's going to make anything that's going to compete with himself! Currently, WGT is the Sophia show on the national stage. Until someone else throws their hat in the ring and produces a better mousetrap, you ain't gonna see nothing new from ProtoForm.

The McCallister Ferrari 599 and the Parma DB9 both have their followings....but at a local level. Until/unless one of those, or another, lid starts winning on the US or international stage, that's what we're stuck with. Really, the "WGT Body Debate" thread is very informative!

Locally, we're running a very loose interpertation of the ROAR spec for bodies, and having a blast!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We have a varied mix of bodies in WGT; a couple DB9s, a couple Sophias, a Viper, a Ferrari 599, a Saleen Mustang, a Toyota Escudo, and a Mazda RX8. Chassis are 2 RC10R5s and the rest CRCs, the top guy uses an AE with a DB9 lid.

We all have a lot of fun.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn68z
They will need to shoe horn stewart in. He is a great driver though, he drove a friend of mines DIRT modified at saracues NY the same year he won the USAC triple crown.

Cheers,
Shawn.
A 5'3 140 pound Smoke would be lethal in an F1 car, present day Smoke is great @ the Snowbirds
Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn68z
Off topic: Do you remember when Jeff Gorden to Montoya's Williams for a spin at indy? After six laps he was within .3 of second on pole. There are some gifted, natural drivers. It doesnt matter what they are driving, they will always be fast.
Going Off-topic again... technically not quite true. He was 1.3s off of JPM's times of the same day, and no reference to the actual pole time at that years Indy F1 race (1:10s by Schumacher). Having said that, after only 7 laps, it's pretty impressive, although the cars did have TC back in those days.

Back to the topic in hand
Old 06-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore
Cost is a big factor, not because there are not good entry level options but because newbies are enticed by speed. Whats the first thing out of a potential customers mouth the first time in a hobby shop.... HOW FAST DOES IT GO!!! Selling a slow entry level ride is a tough sell in todays immdiate satisfaction generation. Of course thay then take that $1000 ride and smash into the first turn and then are pissed go figure.

Off-road is big because its cheap to enter(not at all cheap to run when you figure in tires) and because little jonnie does not need a preped track. He can take that SC truck home buy/build a ramp and fly the piss out of that truck while all the neighbor kids go oooh and ahhhh.

I wish I had the answer to the op's question mabey all it will take is time.

I agree, Off road looks more appealing to the general masses. Now they are making them almost waterproof too.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

We are starting to have a spec class for M chassis and 1/10 tc at LHS. Parking lot property owner gave us the ok sign to setup a temp track with dots and cones. We might even consider getting pvc pipes and different angled pipe connectors. I hope on-road can get popular again, it should be the least difficult to setup a track, that's what made parking lot racing so big in 90s.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I'm kinda crunk, so don't hold this against me... but what would it take to make a SCT-based on-road car? A new body for sure. Something to keep the chassis from rolling too much. Otherwise? Maybe some tire options for different levels of traction. Maybe some dots for little obstacles on on-road tracks. Otherwise? Am I nuts?
iirc, that's how tamiya created the 4wd sedan class off the Manta Ray buggy.

people get bored of true spec class racing. once they get used to the speed, some of them move up to the faster classes. But then the spec class dies out, and the guys that stuck with it eventually disappears. Then after a while the whole track undergoes a "omg, we need more racers" and new "spec" class is born. This cycle repeats.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default To redbones

Hi, I agree with you. I've seen many tracks come and go within last 15 - 18 years here at Mpls/St Paul, MN. We had really good tracks that were capable of hosting national event. Once drivers get more skilled and moved up to next level, in perfect world there would be another batch of new drivers (novice level). However, lots of people don't stay in r/c hobby for long time. Most of people I raced with are no longer involved in the hobby. I'm glad that I am still working part time at LHS (12th year next Jan) which kept me interested in the hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.