R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What chassis's have a 275mm long wheelbase

Its worth it. I've been looking for hours for a car with that wheelbase.

If I cant find a chassis, how would a direct drive single shock chassis like this do nowadays with some power?

daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Well the chassis you have pictured is an old Tamiya road car chassis (probably a Ferrari body of some type) based off of the F101/F102 F1 chassis. I believe the tub chassis car had the same wheel base as the F101/F102 which has the same wheel base as the F103...though I'm not sure that it is 275mm specifically. As for putting power in a direct drive car...Like any car that all depends on how much traction there is. If you have a lot of grip a direct drive car will handle it no problem. If grip is really low then a 4wd chassis will be easier to control. However that brings up another issue...I assume you have a 275mm body that you want to get a chassis for. You also need to take in account the size of the tires and rims the body is designed for as these will play a part in how well the body fits and looks on the chassis. If the body is made for the chassis you have pictured then the wheels and tires of a 4wd TC are likely to be too big and you might have to butcher the body to get it to fit.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

If you need something that's normal touring car size but with a 275mm wheelbase, the nearest will be the Tamiya Porsche Cayenne, kit number 58406, the wheelbase is 280mm but it should be easy with a bit of trimming to move the wishbones in to get the right wheelbase. It is 200mm wide.

If you fancy using a pan car chassis like you have posted, then the latest Tamiya F104 has a 270mm wheelbase, anything else would need to be modified to lengthen them to fit the body. as for "some power", if you are looking at running a powerful motor in a pan car you are better off getting a proper WorldGT car and extending the chassis to lengthen it, even so you will still find it difficult to get it to accelerate in a straight line if it isn't run on a prepared surface.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:18 AM   #4
Tech Initiate
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The discontinued HPI Super RS4 cars (electric, nitro and rally versions) had a 280mm wheelbase, but it would be very hard to find one of these now though.
majatra is offline   Reply With Quote