R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just placed an order for a set of metric and SAE hex drivers from EDS. I purchased it through Premiere Hobbies. Great guys to deal with. Thanks everyone for the advice and help.
snowboardgeek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #32
Tech Adept

I use dare I say integy tips, I make my own adapters to use in power screwdrivers,I also have the ofna long hex drivers, I like those too, I recently bought some eds tips to make some more power screwdriver tips but havent really used them yet, I use alot of stainless hardware and the integys have held up very well.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #33
Tech Champion

MIP Thorp wrenches...best ever made!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

HUDY 25th ver.
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #35
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hudy vs MIP. MIP handles are not very comfortable and thick. Love the hudy handles. But, it seems like the tips go way sooner.

Anyone fit MIP tips into a regular 2mm Hudy wrench?

Currently bought another Hudy universal handle with a MIP tip and it's almost perfect but short. Any MIP regular driver tips work? They even make them absent their universal end? Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
HUDY 25th ver.
JAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:23 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Just be careful when buying, the EDS tools are not very accurately ground to size. I guess they make more imperial sized tips hence the temptation to pass imperial sizes close to metric ones for the metric size nearest to it. That can easily result in stripped hexes which is very annoying especially on pinions. Hudy on the other hand is spot on.

If you need ball end hex drivers, I second the suggestion above. Wiha are expensive but top quality. Especially good for the smaller sizes.

Never tried Wera, but they seem good quality. Haven't seen their ball end hex drivers.

Hudy ball ends are not that easy to find around here, I suspect they are as good as the normal version, but have no idea of price.

My suggestion is buy what you need when you need to buy it, don't buy a set only to discover that you use three tools and keep the other ones in the box for no reason.

For nut drivers, Wiha wins hands down. Prices for Hudy hardware are very similar at that level, so why not go for best?

Again, my suggestion is buy what you need when you need it. You might also find that some tools are better in spanner or t handle form or whatnot. Wait until you actually know exactly where you're going to use each tool and decide then.

Funny you say money is no object and then notice that one set (nobody recommended) is 5$ cheaper than the other one.

In my experience people for whom money is no object rarely ask for advice (of any kind) on the interwebs.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 07-03-2017 at 09:02 AM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #37
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you have the old Associated Factory Team hex drivers you probably noticed, as I did, that the tips they come with are less than excellent. Not to worry, I upgraded my more used drivers to ProTek tips I got for $5 each at AMAIN. So far they have great engagement with the screws, and still have the AE color coded handles.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:53 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

decided to try something new after my old HUDY set finally 'wore out' (been relegated to home use only) after 8years straight..

Now use MIP Thorp. After hearing and seeing many around locally for I have no doubt these will see the 8year mark easily. like how they feel in the hand a bit better honestly.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I've had cheapies and Hudy. I went for MIP and haven't looked back.

If you don't have clean bearings, good transmission and a perfect car, trust me when I say this...someone else does.
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:46 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I used HUDY tools for years. The tips on average lasted me a couple of racing seasons apart from the 1.5mm and 2mm drivers which I had to replace every season. I've now switched to ARROWMAX tools and the set is now on it's 3rd season and the tips still look brand new without any degradation in performance.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

i have all the mip hex and nut drivers in sae and metric, though now that i dont own crc anymore the sae wont get used much. Loaned out probably.
I picked up a set of new associated factory team tools as i wanted something light for travel with that wasnt $25 per tool. i have some hudy's Though i think the mip is a better value.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:49 PM   #42
Suspended

The cheaper , the better, but take it easy on your tools: use finger pressure as much as possible....I've been using the same duratrax set since 2008, and nothing wore out excessively... It's all in how you use your tools...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #43
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

MIP if you just want quality tools. Hudy if you can justify spending the money for looking cool.

I've had a set of SAE MIP drivers for years and recently bought the metric ones and now have their SAE nut drivers as well. No regrets and I'd rather spend the money I saved vs buying Hudy's on something like tires or the motor-of-the-month club.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

Im not familiar to MIP. But Arrowmax has been the best among what i have used. I have owned Hudy, Dynamite, and Losi. Arrowmax tools last far longer than Hudy's. And they fit better than Hudy. With Hudy, after a while, i began to strip screws but i have had arrowmax w more abuse longer and they still are very good.
snuvet75 is offline   Reply With Quote