Wiki Posts
Search

What car should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default What car should I buy?

I've recently picked up the RC hobby again after several years on hiatus. I've been in and out for over 25 years and club raced 2wd off road buggies for a while. I recently picked up an SC10 for my son and I to race and I'm looking to do some electric on road racing for myself. What car and electronics should I buy to be competitive and not drain my bank account radically. I've looked at the new Xray and think its a work of art but pricey. Is it worth it? What else should I consider?

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Tommy
Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TommyT913
I've recently picked up the RC hobby again after several years on hiatus. I've been in and out for over 25 years and club raced 2wd off road buggies for a while. I recently picked up an SC10 for my son and I to race and I'm looking to do some electric on road racing for myself. What car and electronics should I buy to be competitive and not drain my bank account radically. I've looked at the new Xray and think its a work of art but pricey. Is it worth it? What else should I consider?

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Tommy
Hey Tommy,
X-Ray is a work of art and the guys running them locally rave about them. Some advice that you will see given to anybody looking to start racing is go to the track you plan to race at and ask some questions. It can be convenient to run a similar car and setup to what the other guys are running for setup spares etc. Local hobbyshop support may or may not be important depending on whether you are comfortable buying on-line.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I agree with what Tommy said, also look at the price of parts. Xray is a GREAT car, but their parts can be twice as much or MORE than other brands.

I know several guys that got xrays but opted for a different brand just because of the price of parts.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tamiya TA05, parts everywhere, cheap, fast, fun.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

I'd recommend looking at the TOP Photon. It is less expensive than the Xray and easily as competitive.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hey daign where did u get that body
Old 03-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

XRAY T3'11 or Associated TC6
or wait moment Serpent S411 next month release !
Old 03-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bagged69chevy
I agree with what Tommy said, also look at the price of parts. Xray is a GREAT car, but their parts can be twice as much or MORE than other brands.

I know several guys that got xrays but opted for a different brand just because of the price of parts.
Xray all the way!! If you break a part you've messed up pretty good. I've hit hard and never broken parts that easy and when I did my fault. Pay for what you get. Parts are tougher than most. Just don't hit anything
Old 03-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

I've been doing extensive research on the Xray T3 2011, the Hot Bodies Cyclone TCX and the TOP Racing Photon. It seems that they are all very high quality kits but, like most things they all have their inherent pros and cons (minor thought they may be). The price point for the Photon is excellent, but I have yet to have time to compare the features and materials included in each kit in order to compare the price points intelligently. It also seems that they will all be competitive. I'm going to go to my local track when it opens to see what the majority of the guys are running before I make my decision. I just seems like good advice to do that to get some feedback.

Keep the opinions coming.

Tommy
Old 03-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Champion

The only real complaint I've seen of the Photon is the screws being a bit too soft. I picked one up used that still has the old chassis (without the flipped belt for LiPo) and it is still very competitive against the newer cars optimized for LiPo. Only my driving holds me back
Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can't go wrong with an AE TC6. Several of our local racers have switched from other brands, and been as competitive from DAY ONE with their AE cars as they were with their previous rides. Factor in that parts are inexpensive, and available almost everywhere, and you'll see that it's a great choice.

The Xray's are amazing if you can foot the bill though.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Among all the racer i know....Xray is known to be the toughest kit of all.. yes its a bit pricey, but the part last longer than expected.. save your money in the long run.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

AE has the TC6 which fixed all of the problems that the TC5 had, very competitive, cheap, easy to drive. Xray's T3 2011, very durable, handle well ive only seen them break once or twice, but they are very expensive. Tamiya 416 (any variation) is also a good car, drives right, durable, as for not draining your bank account id stay away from xray or corally, i dont know about the Tamiya when it comes to prices, AE has cheap parts and they can hold up well. But when it comes to electronics it all really depends on what class you are going to run.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
You can't go wrong with an AE TC6. Several of our local racers have switched from other brands, and been as competitive from DAY ONE with their AE cars as they were with their previous rides. Factor in that parts are inexpensive, and available almost everywhere, and you'll see that it's a great choice.

The Xray's are amazing if you can foot the bill though.
It's funny that you mention the TC6 since immediately following my previous post I realized that I hadn't even given them a thought. I LOVE the Xray, but I still want to explore all my options. I just want something that I'll be able to run for quite a few years and not have to constantly add hop ups to keep up with the pack.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TommyT913
It's funny that you mention the TC6 since immediately following my previous post I realized that I hadn't even given them a thought. I LOVE the Xray, but I still want to explore all my options. I just want something that I'll be able to run for quite a few years and not have to constantly add hop ups to keep up with the pack.

I was recently in the same situation as you, researched a handful of chassis kits (X Ray, Top and Tamiya) and ended up with a TRF 417. All of the newer lipo chassis car kits will be competitive against each other, so feel confident about the chassis you pick, believe in it, find setup and learn to drive the sh!t out of it.

Good Luck