Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Associated 10R5 road course car; who makes it now? >

Associated 10R5 road course car; who makes it now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated 10R5 road course car; who makes it now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Tech Adept

Default Associated 10R5 road course car; who makes it now?

I know that a different company now makes the Associated 10R5 road course version under their own name as Associated discontinued the car. I had the name and website but lost it.

Can anyone help me out with what website/company it is?

Please help.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:45 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Really? Newer heard this before.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Thunder Tiger?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

They do own Associated, so that would make sense
Old 03-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

No, sorry, it's not Thunder Tiger
Old 03-20-2011, 02:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I would assume some affiliate of Thunder Tiger if it is at all true.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:54 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When you did read that news, is it exactly the same 10R5 or are there some changes?
Old 03-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sorry but its not true. There is a 1/10th pan car from China that comes RTR with some terrible electronics and a badly fitting LMP-style bodyshell, but that was a copy of the Associated RC10L3. I can't find one right now, but this time last year they were all over eBay.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Sounds like he is talking about the Xray X-10 Link.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

No it's not some cheap knock-off from China, and it's not the Xray X10 Link either. From what I remember it is an American company that bought the rights to the car and is either producing it under their name or is producing parts for the car; can't quite remember which.

The one thing I do know for a fact is that Associated no longer makes the car which is weird as 10th scale pan car road course racing is coming back, especially WGT. Corally, Xray, CRC, BMI, Serpent, to name a few, all produce excellent 10th pan cars. It's strange that Associated who made some of the original pan cars dating back to the Eighties has dropped out. They seem to be going down the same path as Losi and turning more and more to the RTR market and SC trucks, etc. They used to be a major force in on-road rc racing like Losi, but it looks like that is all going away gradually.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The same Associated that's sending drivers to every major event in the world and just won the latest round of ETS today?

Maybe they just realized one pan car class is plenty.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Tech Adept

Well I may stand corrected about Associated's involvement in on-road racing, sorry if I upset anyone.

What is ETS? I assume that it is 1/12 pan car racing which Associated is still involved with; or possibly touring car racing.

I just think that it's strange that they came out with the 10R5 only around a year ago or so and already they are dumping it when more manufacturers are building new 1/10 road course pan cars. When you see their ads in the rc magazines and on the internet, or even their own website, it appears that their main focus is Short Course trucks and RTR's, with little attention paid to on-road. And since this is an electric on-road forum and I'm obviously an on-road fan, it does dissapoint me. And yes, I know the reason for this is that Short Course trucks and off-road, and RTR's is where the current market and the money is, and they(Associated) are in business to make money. I know, I do get it. Just not happy with it.

Anyway, I'm still no closer to finding out who this mystery company is that is supposed to have the rights to what was the 10R5. Oh well
Old 03-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

WGT seemed like it was on the verge of dying out entirely there for a while. It does seem like it's come back to life a bit lately.

As far as ads in magazines and such go, I think AE probably understands that those publications are read mostly by casual RC folks, and that right now, that crowd would rather get an SCT they can smash into hay bales or chase the chickens with rather than one that needs to be run on a prepared track, and only works right with great detail given to its setup.

In their defense, they're still marketing to the on-road crowd by sending the team to big events, and even sending guys to some smaller events. Paid racers are advertising, otherwise there's no incentive to do it.

Here's what I do: I make an effort to support the companies that support the kinds of racing that I like. That means if I buy anything off-road, it's only going to be from a company that also has an on-road program. For example, I do my best to avoid buying anything from Losi or its related brands, and I NEVER recommend that other people buy their stuff when I'm asked for advice. They abandoned on-road entirely, so I do my best to return the favor.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Good principle. NOt a big Losi fan anyway, but I like the way you think
Old 03-21-2011, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Enforcerman
Well I may stand corrected about Associated's involvement in on-road racing, sorry if I upset anyone.

What is ETS? I assume that it is 1/12 pan car racing which Associated is still involved with; or possibly touring car racing.

I just think that it's strange that they came out with the 10R5 only around a year ago or so and already they are dumping it when more manufacturers are building new 1/10 road course pan cars. When you see their ads in the rc magazines and on the internet, or even their own website, it appears that their main focus is Short Course trucks and RTR's, with little attention paid to on-road. And since this is an electric on-road forum and I'm obviously an on-road fan, it does dissapoint me. And yes, I know the reason for this is that Short Course trucks and off-road, and RTR's is where the current market and the money is, and they(Associated) are in business to make money. I know, I do get it. Just not happy with it.

Anyway, I'm still no closer to finding out who this mystery company is that is supposed to have the rights to what was the 10R5. Oh well
I thought I read an Associated rep respond to another thread that the discontinuation of the car was a result of poor sales. Since many of the parts are shared with the 12r5 how hard would it be to put it back into production if 10th pan starts picking up? Any company without the the economy of scale and marketing of Thunder Tiger/ Associated is going to have a tough time making any money if Associated couldn't make enough to warrant keeping the car in production. Anyway good luck with your search and let us know what you find.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.