Wiki Posts
Search

Faster corner speed like pro

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Default Softer is NOT always Better

Cole Trickle;

I have noticed the same thing over the years when tuning. Sometimes, a slightly stiffer spring all around will provide better grip than going to a softer set-up (as opposed to what is currently in the car).
I've had this happen only a few times and I think it is only certain Tire and Track conditions that require it. A very slight change in Temperature and your back to your base set-up.

For the Rear coming around in your P-2, try less static Camber in the Rear (0.0-0.5) and/or 1 or 2mm more Rear Droop. This is a common problem with the HPI cars and these two things should help.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Popsracer.

But what is the effect on the car when limiting uptravel beside flipping over when driveing over a corner dot.

-Whacky.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

I'd had that problem with my TC3 out at Camarillo (medium bite) and, after talking with Hubbard, who's care was hooked up, he told me that the reason for that problem was that the car was moving too much weight rearward too quickly. . .

(mid corner, off-brake and on-throttle - oversteer)

To fix that he upped the oil-weight all the way around - the oil only changes the RATE of weight transfer, not the amount. That fixed his problem.

Unfortunately for me, I didn't ask until way too late in the game. . .
Old 03-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Default limiting uptravel

Originally posted by Whacky
Thanks Popsracer.

But what is the effect on the car when limiting uptravel beside flipping over when driveing over a corner dot.

Whacky;

You will be limiting chassis roll with the screws/spacers while still using the same springs to get the grip you need. At the time I tried it, I was racing on a small permanent Track and didn't like the fact that the slightest touch of a corner dot would send you over on your lid. The Car seemed to be "Bouncey" also, like the springs were too stiff and the oil was too thin.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you are running on a large permanent racetrack with gobs of traction and you can avoid the corner dots completely.

Boomer;

What amount of oil weight change did 'Hubbard' recommend to correct the mid corner problem?

Last edited by popsracer; 03-06-2003 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks popsracer!.

-Whacky.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Softer is NOT always Better

Originally posted by popsracer
Cole Trickle;

I have noticed the same thing over the years when tuning. Sometimes, a slightly stiffer spring all around will provide better grip than going to a softer set-up (as opposed to what is currently in the car).
I've had this happen only a few times and I think it is only certain Tire and Track conditions that require it. A very slight change in Temperature and your back to your base set-up.

For the Rear coming around in your P-2, try less static Camber in the Rear (0.0-0.5) and/or 1 or 2mm more Rear Droop. This is a common problem with the HPI cars and these two things should help.
Spring rate; Well, we're at real low temperature for the moment, around 3-7 degrees celsius (track). So this might be a kind of joker. Sunday, we're going to another indoor track with around 18 degrees. So I'll have to wait and see how the car reacts.

About camber, I've already reduced the rear camber. But maybe I should reduce even more (havent measured it yet, I dont got a setup system, so I use the system in our club). I was also thinking about increasing the rear droop.

I look forward to the sunday race, it's my biggest race so far. My equipment are in a good shape, and I only need to do some minor preparations. So I try to focus on mental preparations.

Today I was at a seminar. There was something about training top sportsmen. It was not the main topic, but there was several tricks, that I think I can use. Exciting.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Default Faster corner speed like pro

Cole Trickle;

I would recommend NOT making any radical changes to your set-up, if you have a BIG race coming up. Do the changes when you have plenty of time in practice to evaluate them properly.

The Integy (Team Atlas) Set-up system in only $65 usd, that's about $40 cheaper than the Hudy and I think it works just as good.

What ever you decide on Camber, use a Set-up to check it with or some set-up Disc's with an RPM Camber gauge.

Almost forgot, Good luck on your Race!
Old 03-07-2003, 01:16 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Faster corner speed like pro

I would recommend NOT making any radical changes to your set-up, if you have a BIG race coming up. Do the changes when you have plenty of time in practice to evaluate them properly.
Agree !

Almost forgot, Good luck on your Race!
Thanks.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Boomer

To fix that he upped the oil-weight all the way around - the oil only changes the RATE of weight transfer, not the amount. That fixed his problem.
Sounds like it's something for my.... I'll try it out later.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: limiting uptravel

Boomer

What amount of oil weight change did 'Hubbard' recommend to correct the mid corner problem?
I was running (and he had started with) 30wt Assoc oil. He moved to 40wt so it wasn't a huge step, I would say it was about the equivalent of one spring step, maybe two.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: limiting uptravel

I was running (and he had started with) 30wt Assoc oil. He moved to 40wt so it wasn't a huge step, I would say it was about the equivalent of one spring step, maybe two.
Thank you.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

ttt
Old 03-24-2003, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ttt
Old 03-30-2003, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

I'd had that problem with my TC3 out at Camarillo (medium bite) and, after talking with Hubbard, who's care was hooked up, he told me that the reason for that problem was that the car was moving too much weight rearward too quickly. . .

Unfortunately for me, I didn't ask until way too late in the game. . .
I've just tried this with my Pro2 with one-way diff. I went from 60 to 70 oil. That was the solution.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Lightbulb Back to the top

This is a great thread Just had to bring it back up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.