Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Faster corner speed like pro

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

Something I noticed lately

Less steering speed = faster corner speed, less steering throw also improves corner speed, but if there are some low speed corners, it could be difficult to corner with. So now I'm running less steering throw, and -ve exponential. Still testing radio setup
Old 08-08-2002, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by Boomer
mcrisp - is it different from the one I purchased from you about 3 weeks ago? and if so, do I have to purchase it all over again to get the revisions?

I got mine last month...

Do I get an "upgrade"?
Old 08-09-2002, 03:29 AM
Tech Master

alvin i think that explain the theory that smooth = fast ..

hm just gota stop my hands fron shivering/wobbleing on the drivers stand
Old 08-09-2002, 04:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Alvin
Something I noticed lately

less steering throw also improves corner speed, but if there are some low speed corners, it could be difficult to corner with. So now I'm running less steering throw, and -ve exponential. Still testing radio setup
wat u hav experienced is probably ideal tire slip angles = the amount u need to turn the wheels to get the most front grip/steering at the speed u r travelling in. like in full scale racing turning more don't always result in more steering.

p.s don't shoot me if i'm not very accurate as I don't remember much about tire slip angles. (maybe time to hit the books again)
Old 08-09-2002, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by imataquito
alvin i think that explain the theory that smooth = fast ..

hm just gota stop my hands fron shivering/wobbleing on the drivers stand
That's easy! Go for more races! My first race I was shaking so bad the ppl could see the stand vibrating! Serious!

Now I'm also playing 1/10 and 1/12 Pan cars. Have you tried 'em before? A 23x1 modified is enough match the nitros on the short straits in my home track!

Can't wait for sunday. Last TCS race in singapore! Was supposed to go for an outlaw race (foams, brushless allowed) but it got cancelled at the last moment.

Last edited by Alvin; 08-09-2002 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:40 AM
Tech Adept

Alvin: u guys not @ rcs tonite?
Old 08-09-2002, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

Nope. It's raining here in Jurong, plus there is a Nitro race held there today. 0 chance I will go there when there's a nitro race, traction can be so bad my 1/12th has no traction
Old 08-09-2002, 07:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Purchased!!! Thanx MCrisp for the info in the past.

Grav.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:43 AM
Tech Addict

What kino said is right on. Theres an optimal slip angle for best grip at a given speed. Which is why in the fast corners, turning the steering wheel more will actually result in more push.

About less steering speed. It makes sense too. If you turn the steering wheel too fast the sudden jerk will tend to break loose the front wheels while if the steering is turned smoothly you are loading the front wheels more gradually and maximising the traction.
Old 08-10-2002, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

more races? lol even on normal practice i shake ... maybe my hands just love to shake ... even when i am playing infront of my house.....
but i am not nervous tho ... just hands shaking ....... LOL

1/12 no but tested a pro10
its too old i guess and the graphite t plate is soft already therefore resulting in a very very very bad push nearly no stearing

made the car stear by using a turnbuckle insteed of a damper in the middle conection from main chasis to the t-plate
it was not properly set up ... but fun nevertheless

even tried making my TC handle like one
basically i just love its point and shoot kind of handling
and the free wheeling is just superb

..and yes 23 turn would be wickedly fast on a 1/12..
think 17 turn will blow competition away

BTW alvin i wanted to get either a 1/12 or a 1/10 some time back but cant find one ... and my friends car is way too old to be worth buying + no spare parts
and the tire wear is expecialy HIGH !

do u know how much will a 1/12 and a pro10 cost .....and do they have spares
expecially the rear t-plates and tires
and where can i get it from??
Old 08-10-2002, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

hm............. the ankerman and the toe affects grip during a "throw" which is also known as slip angle ?

correct me if i am wrong .......

and toe out equals to less throw and smoother stearing ?- more speed
and toe in gives more throw and less smooth stearing ?- less speed

or have i got it the other way round

Old 08-10-2002, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

[BTW alvin i wanted to get either a 1/12 or a 1/10 some time back but cant find one ... and my friends car is way too old to be worth buying + no spare parts
and the tire wear is expecialy HIGH !

do u know how much will a 1/12 and a pro10 cost .....and do they have spares
expecially the rear t-plates and tires
and where can i get it from?? [/B]
Taquito - Associated still makes the 10L2, costs about $149 US and you can get it from www.stormerhobbies.com. They still make T-Bars and all spare parts. Bodies are a touch hard to get, but Hot Bodies makes a great GTP body (the Toyota) and Protoform SOMETIMES makes a wonderful Peugeot 905b. We usually run stock, but we ran the Norrca Nats last year with mods (all the way down to an 8x2) and it was ridiculously fast! I LOVE passing mod sedans with a stock 10L2. . .
Old 08-10-2002, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

hm............. the ankerman and the toe affects grip during a "throw" which is also known as slip angle ?

correct me if i am wrong .......

and toe out equals to less throw and smoother stearing ?- more speed
and toe in gives more throw and less smooth stearing ?- less speed

or have i got it the other way round
Ackerman is the difference between the angles in the front tires - a lot of ackerman and the inside tire turns a lot more than the outside tire does. On a normal track, you want just a bit (because of the differences in turning circles in the inside tire versus the outside tire. . .wish I could draw a pic) but too much will scrub corner speed since the inside tire will be fighting the outside tire.

Toe is going to scrub speed, period, unless the toe angle is zero. The difference is stability. With electric cars, toe-in (slight) will lessen turn-in but will leave a more stable car. Toe-out (slight) will increase turn-in but the car will be twitchy and unstable. Most drivers prefer about 1/2 degree of toe-in or zero. I don't know anyone, really, who uses anything more than 1/4 degree (as in a TEENY bit) of toe-out. . .it just ends up too twitchy.
Old 08-11-2002, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

um ..... yea i know that ......
what i want to know is the amount of 'throw' the car has with the settings .....

say go full speed with a 13 turn then yank the stearing halfway or full then the car will 'throw' ........

lets see if i m free this evening .... will test ....

10L2 from the US ?? nah the parts support in malaysia is NIL...
and i know that the pro10's tend to break a lot .....
expecially if its FRP plate.. like my friends car ...... ( maybe they dun have griphite plates back then )
Old 08-11-2002, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

um ..... yea i know that ......
what i want to know is the amount of 'throw' the car has with the settings .....

say go full speed with a 13 turn then yank the stearing halfway or full then the car will 'throw' ........

lets see if i m free this evening .... will test ....

10L2 from the US ?? nah the parts support in malaysia is NIL...
and i know that the pro10's tend to break a lot .....
expecially if its FRP plate.. like my friends car ...... ( maybe they dun have griphite plates back then )
Sorry, I guess I'm not picking up on your question.

The 10L2 isn't very fragile - the only thing we break around here is T-Bars, and Colin C and myself abuse test them on a constant basis!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.