R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   battery building guide. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/49273-battery-building-guide.html)

raving-monkey 09-02-2004 11:58 AM

battery building guide.

right, i just got some new 3600s and i want to build them right this time (Was a disastor with my 3300s, dont ask!:blush: :lol: :p )

so i was wondering if there were good guides out there on how tob uild batteries.

i came accross 1 but it seemed a bit rubbish and the pics wer ein black and white:weird:

thanks
Matt:) :nod: :D

ALBERTO 09-02-2004 12:11 PM

A deans battery jig is a must!!!!! Makes everthing fall into place nicely

raving-monkey 09-02-2004 12:13 PM

i got an orion one...seems to do its job ok..may look into getting a deans one if its a must have:nod:

but are there any good guides on the internet?

Chill Will 09-02-2004 12:22 PM

Buy a Deans.... You will kick yourself for not buying one long time ago. You might have to squeeze the 3600s in it....... Use a light grit sand paper on both ends of the battery first. Make sure you have a good Hot Iron. Don't put any soldier between the battery and the bars. Let the soldier melt over the bars on each side................. Or next time order some Promatch batteries and they will do it for you. :nod:

snopro31 09-02-2004 12:58 PM

the orion one works ok if you put rubber bands around it to hold the cells inplace better. as long as you have a good soldering iron with a good sized tip. you can solder the cells with out putting to much heat into them. just take your time and it should work out ok.

ALBERTO 09-02-2004 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Chill Will
Don't put any soldier between the battery and the bars. Let the soldier melt over the bars on each side.................. :nod:

y not ????

raving-monkey 09-02-2004 01:34 PM

thanks again guys..i might have to look into a deans jig.

i usually use a 12v iron for all my batteires, motors..and a gas one for general soldering.

thanks again
Matt:nod:

jaysimpson 09-02-2004 01:42 PM

Originally posted by ALBERTO
y not ????
Because direct contact between the bar and the cell is better than alot of solder between them. Solder is a good mechanical joint but you don't need alot hindering the electrical connection. :nod:

raving-monkey 09-02-2004 01:52 PM

what about solder....

is it best to use just plain solder and some flux..or rosin cored solder (somet like that:lol: )

want to get these packs right:lol:

j240z 09-02-2004 02:17 PM

Dean's!!!

I've always had great results with a Dean's jig and Dean's solder! Just watch out for those fumes....:spidey:

raving-monkey 09-02-2004 02:26 PM

:spidey: soldering awlays gets down in the cellar..and we have an extractor fan in there (dont ask why, it was there when we moved in:weird: ):spidey: :sneaky:

the cellar is mine....allllll mine:D :lol: got a work space etc to do all the work on my cars, etc etc:) :blush: :p

mafiaracers 09-02-2004 02:27 PM

Whats wrong with solder fumes? ;) Breathe deep son....it puts hair on your (diff) balls.

raving-monkey 09-02-2004 02:28 PM

hahahahahahaha....what about petrol....that smells nice to:lol:

hierog 09-02-2004 02:46 PM

--

make sure you sand the ends of the batteries very well! i used a dremel with a sanding tool on it. makes a ton of difference making sure the battery bars stick!

sosidge 09-02-2004 02:49 PM

Re: --

Originally posted by hierog
make sure you sand the ends of the batteries very well! i used a dremel with a sanding tool on it. makes a ton of difference making sure the battery bars stick!
You shouldn't need to do this. Solder flux will do a much better job of cleaning the contacts than sanding will. Use a seperate flux if your having problems, also make sure your iron is up to the job.