Wiki Posts
Search

MPJA Online Soldering

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 11:18 AM
Tech Adept

Default MPJA Online Soldering

Click here to look at the product.

I am looking to purchase a soldering station, and I have been looking into the weller WLC100, but I saw a MPJA soldering station in RCCA one day and it looks really nice. The only drawback is that it shows a digital temp. reading, and I'm used to the Weller dial. Is the dial temp controlled, or what?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

that one might not be hot enough for batteries.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Hello,

I have the same one in European version. The Thermal element is 48W. With the right tip you can solder even batteries but you are somewhere in the limit of perfect to ok job. The digital display shows the temperature of the tip and you can set it with the dial.
The switch to the right change from set temp to actual temp. If you want to buy it just buy and this tip for batteries:
http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=11205+TL

Mike
Old 10-01-2004, 08:08 AM
Tech Adept

As in saying it is not hot enough, do you need a 80W model, unlike this, and like the Weller?

I am leaning towards a Weller because it is cheaper, but still a very good product.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by bAsEmEnTLOSI
As in saying it is not hot enough, do you need a 80W model, unlike this, and like the Weller?

I am leaning towards a Weller because it is cheaper, but still a very good product.
Get a Goot brand iron. Best irons i've ever used.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Have you looked at a Hakko 936? It is one of best available.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

if you want the best available soldering iron you need to get a JBC iron. The next best is a Metcal. Both are quite spendy.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

Could you point me in the direction of attempting to find those irons john?
Old 10-04-2004, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

You can find Both at www.howardelectronicsi.com that the source for all of your high tech soldering needs.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

http://www.howardelectronics.com/
Old 10-05-2004, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

Hello all. I have that unit from MPJA. Cust service is awesome. However here is the porb I have with my iron. Sometimes, rarly, the temp dial goes wacky and the iron either goes to no heat or lots of heat. No heat and I can’t solder, lots of heat and in 30 sec fresh solder turns to slag. I called MPJA and they recommended I look for "Weller” unit due to the iron traveling on a regular basis, and offered to take the unit back. I did not send the iron back, I plan to replace the rheostat and all should be good. With out that prob, the iron is awesome!

If you order one, grab the larger tip right away. pn# 11205 TL
Old 10-05-2004, 04:31 AM
Tech Adept

Default The Weller WC100 is a 40 watt iron.

Originally posted by bAsEmEnTLOSI

It also is only wattage controlled...not temperature controlled. The Weller has no temperature feedback. Having said that I use the Weller at 40W and have no problems soldering batteries.

To get a temperature controlled Weller you'd have to spend nearly twice as much....and still only get a 50W iron.

Link to WC100.
WC100

Link to temperature controlled Weller.
Temperature controlled Weller

The MPJA digital gun is a very good deal...assuming it is reliable and holds temperatures well. To get a digital Weller you'd have to pay twice as much.

Link to digital Weller.
Digital Weller
Old 10-05-2004, 04:36 AM
Tech Adept

Default "wacky" lots of heat can be fatal to fine electronics.

Originally posted by Essnowyt
Hello all. I have that unit from MPJA. Cust service is awesome. However here is the porb I have with my iron. Sometimes, rarly, the temp dial goes wacky and the iron either goes to no heat or lots of heat. No heat and I can’t solder, lots of heat and in 30 sec fresh solder turns to slag. I called MPJA and they recommended I look for "Weller” unit due to the iron traveling on a regular basis, and offered to take the unit back. I did not send the iron back, I plan to replace the rheostat and all should be good. With out that prob, the iron is awesome!

If you order one, grab the larger tip right away. pn# 11205 TL
I agree that MPJA is a good company to deal with. However, I'd avoid a gun that can go "wacky." Back in my younger, more naive days I tried to solder a fine circuit board with a cheap 1000W soldering gun. When I move the tip up to the board it nearly instantly melted the entire surface into a molten flowing magma of tiny surface mount components and solder. You really want to be able to solder at lower heats if you ever intend on doing a finer solder job (like modding a playstation.)
Old 01-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

I think I shall go with the MPJA soldering station, even though I don't really like to part with my money, but if I take really good care of it (which I do with everything I have), it will last for a very long time. I wil also get the larger tip.

BTW, what wire do you guys use? I use Wet Noodle, but it a little spendy, and its somewhat hard to work with, plus you only get 2' of it. I see alot of times in RCCA they use some kinda blue wire, which is thinner, and it is on a roll.

Do you know what I am talking about? Any ideas for wires would be helpful...
Old 01-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For themost part, I use whatever silicone wrapped 14 gauge wire I can get my hands on. I am sure just about any RC hobby shop has some.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.